The Student Room Group

Theory test expires during coronavirus

My theory test is due to run out on the 1st June 2020 however my driving test has been cancelled three times. One because of weather and twice due to the coronavirus , I have emailed the DVSA and there reply was that I will simply just have to do it again once they open back up which i think is unfair and unreasonable I do not want to sit it again as it is not my fault the test keeps getting cancelled! Can I do anything about this?

Scroll to see replies

No you have to wait, it seems unfair but health and safety first
Given that you’ve already had an official answer from the DVSA, no.

I appreciate that cancelled tests are frustrating, but you’ve had two years since passing to take your practical.
Not to sound rude back to you but you don’t know what those two years have been like for me. Broke my ankle,pregnant, lost my job etc so please keep you’re rude comment of having two years to pass to yourself thanks☺️.
Whether you think I’m being blunt is irrelevant. The point is that the DVSA don’t care what you’ve been up to for two years. They care that you’re reasonably safe at the point that you pass. They set the standard, I’m not sure what you wanted someone else to tell you.
I understand that they don’t care what has happened in the last 2 years but I think they are being personally unfair to everyone by shutting there centres down yet making people retake their theories and PAY FOR THEM AGAIN as they can’t get their driving test done that’s what I find unfair!! The test expiry date should be postponed just like everything else has been!
I would feel the same if I was in your position but there’s not really a lot you can do about it. I would just rebook the theory test as soon as you can.
If you spent ages writing and complaining to whoever you can, you might get the theory test money back, but I personally don’t think it’s worth the work for a possible £23.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Unfortunately you will have to do it again. While it isn't your fault the reasons they've given for cancelling your driving test - it isn't theirs either. I took my theory twice as I failed my driving test so many times and it actually expired. I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear. Perhaps start studying now and by the time the coronavirus has passed - you will be guaranteed a pass! Good luck
Perhaps they may honour theory tests that expire during the self-isolation/quarentine period? Unlikely, but I guess you never know

At least it's only £23 if you do have to re-take it
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Admit-One
Given that you’ve already had an official answer from the DVSA, no.

I appreciate that cancelled tests are frustrating, but you’ve had two years since passing to take your practical.

Its 2 years for a reason- they are not allowing the full 2 years to take place to full effect due to COVID-19, therefore there should be an exception due to this.
Original post by artymaniac
Its 2 years for a reason- they are not allowing the full 2 years to take place to full effect due to COVID-19, therefore there should be an exception due to this.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-driving-tests-and-theory-tests

"Legally, your theory test certificate cannot be extended in any circumstances."

So it's a legal restriction, they're not just being awkward for the sake of it.
Original post by Hayley Caughey
Not to sound rude back to you but you don’t know what those two years have been like for me. Broke my ankle,pregnant, lost my job etc so please keep you’re rude comment of having two years to pass to yourself thanks☺️.

Girl I know exactly how you feel! Broke my ankle twice in one year! And by the time I was healed I was in the middle of my a levels!! Just started uni and began to learn again now this! There is no need to be so blunt like that other person was. This is a page for advice, not to be made to feel stupid!
Original post by Hollyyallenn
Girl I know exactly how you feel! Broke my ankle twice in one year! And by the time I was healed I was in the middle of my a levels!! Just started uni and began to learn again now this! There is no need to be so blunt like that other person was. This is a page for advice, not to be made to feel stupid!

Similar to me! I broke my wrist so had to stop driving lessons. Soon I was in my A level exams then I started uni and had a lot of **** go off. My theory expired so I sat it again. Passed twice and now have passed practical.
Definitely not. The window is not a 'pay to keep open' period of availability. It is to ensure you remember everything you learned in your theory test. It's extremely likely that you've forgotten most of your theory test, and therefore you've not knowledge enough to take your practical/drive.

I realise the majority of drivers would have no hope in passing their theory again, but a stupid law is still a law.
My daughter passed her theory Jan last year her test was booked for March It was the cancelled due to covid The earliest New test date was the 20th of this month and now that's cancelled. So God knows when she can take it I really don't see why she should have to pay again for her theory
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sweetcorne
I really don't see why she should have to pay again for her theory

Safety reasons, After 2 years of not making use of the information (that they know of) they consider you to have forgot it and they won't budge on it, it's a pretty generous limit tbf.

You'll find the same with many if not most qualifications. They have to be completed within a certain time of the start date or some/all progress is lost, Many vocational tickets for other machinery need to be redone or reviewed every few years for the same reasons.
Original post by StriderHort
Safety reasons, After 2 years of not making use of the information (that they know of) they consider you to have forgot it and they won't budge on it, it's a pretty generous limit tbf.

You'll find the same with many if not most qualifications. They have to be completed within a certain time of the start date or some/all progress is lost, Many vocational tickets for other machinery need to be redone or reviewed every few years for the same reasons.

The argument could however be made that some people do their theories before they even start learning. It can take a year to learn. Let's say they took this amount of time, and then March lockdown begins - that's another year of disruption.

I currently have a driving license and can see the inequality in this. Though I accept it's the duty of the DVSA to ensure road standards are maintained (as learning to drive is not a right, it is a privilege), theories which expire should at least be rebooked free of charge. I think that's the most reasonable compromise which can be made.
Original post by Arkansas
The argument could however be made that some people do their theories before they even start learning. It can take a year to learn. Let's say they took this amount of time, and then March lockdown begins - that's another year of disruption.

I currently have a driving license and can see the inequality in this. Though I accept it's the duty of the DVSA to ensure road standards are maintained (as learning to drive is not a right, it is a privilege), theories which expire should at least be rebooked free of charge. I think that's the most reasonable compromise which can be made.

Definitely, I did my theory jan last year and by March I was ready to book a test for April time but then covid and then when we could finally do tests again there were none available in ANY test centre near me and now we’re on lockdown again ! I just hope to pass by the end of the year
Original post by Arkansas

Acht they give you TWO years, I think that's pretty generous, and given that no one else seems to have planned for a year long Covid disruption it's no surprise they haven't. Sorry, but I think this is the learners problem, not the DVLA .

No one likes having to pay again for a missed/failed test, but at the end of the day, if a £25 fee is going to put you off, the rest of motoring will be eye watering.
Original post by StriderHort
Acht they give you TWO years, I think that's pretty generous, and given that no one else seems to have planned for a year long Covid disruption it's no surprise they haven't. Sorry, but I think this is the learners problem, not the DVLA .

No one likes having to pay again for a missed/failed test, but at the end of the day, if a £25 fee is going to put you off, the rest of motoring will be eye watering.

I mean they *didn't* give them two years, contrary to what you said. It was unprecedented and so there should be an equally unprecedented response.

The fee is an act of good faith.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending