The Student Room Group

Glasses help

What glasses frame would be best for someone with an extremely high minus prescription (we're talking two digits)?

Scroll to see replies

Frames are all about comfort, make sure to choose ones which are comfortable for you.
Reply 2
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
Frames are all about comfort, make sure to choose ones which are comfortable for you.

My whole life I've not cared for my own comfort but instead the way I would be perceived. I'm going blind while in my teens and I don't know what to do anymore.
Original post by Anonymous
My whole life I've not cared for my own comfort but instead the way I would be perceived. I'm going blind while in my teens and I don't know what to do anymore.

To be honest, glasses aren't the end of the world a large portion of people wear them. Just make sure they aren't too heavy.
If you want nice looking ones, either go circular for the hipster look or rectangle for the average person look.
I've always been told to get the smallest frames as the lenses won't be as thick.
Reply 5
Original post by karelina
I've always been told to get the smallest frames as the lenses won't be as thick.

What is your prescription?
What is your prescription?

It's closer to 10 than to 1
Reply 7
It's closer to 10 than to 1

That makes both of us... so annoying having to wear thick glasses and it's like no matter what frame you choose the glasses end up looking mad stupid lool

That's not how it works? The lens is the same thickness regardless, the style of frame alters how the thickness is percieved

That makes both of us... so annoying having to wear thick glasses and it's like no matter what frame you choose the glasses end up looking mad stupid lool

Choose a frame which is maybe thicker as most of the lens will be contained within the frame then. Also if you can get thinning? Will help to narrow the lens, this does cost more though
Reply 9
Original post by AzureCeleste
That's not how it works? The lens is the same thickness regardless, the style of frame alters how the thickness is percieved

Choose a frame which is maybe thicker as most of the lens will be contained within the frame then. Also if you can get thinning? Will help to narrow the lens, this does cost more though

The thickness is not the same? Choosing a smaller frame with literally mean needing smaller lenses and ultimately reducing edge thickness if a minus prescription.

Yeah a thick frame would be good I guess. I currently get glasses from my local opticians but do not know if they choose thinning when ordering my ones because if not then I might be able to really improve how my lenses look.

How do I find out what type of lense thining is best for my prescription?
Either small metal frame or medium but thick plastic frames. There are two factors here, small frames won't make the lenses look like coke bottles but they will make the visual field significantly narrower, while medium plastic ones will make the lenses look a bit thick (won't be very noticable when the frame is thick) but won't make the visual field so narrow.
Original post by Kathy89
Either small metal frame or medium but thick plastic frames. There are two factors here, small frames won't make the lenses look like coke bottles but they will make the visual field significantly narrower, while medium plastic ones will make the lenses look a bit thick (won't be very noticable when the frame is thick) but won't make the visual field so narrow.

Do you know any websites I could buy such glasses from? I have my prescription details so I was hoping to just order a pair. I'm thinking metal frame with small and round 1.74 high index lenses. What do you think?
Do you know any websites I could buy such glasses from? I have my prescription details so I was hoping to just order a pair. I'm thinking metal frame with small and round 1.74 high index lenses. What do you think?

The frame choice depends on your face features (shape, size, color, facial hair etc...).

1.74 sounds good, sometimes 1.67 or 1.7 is enough though.

I buy from Zenni optical, it is the only website I am satisfied with from what I tried Although I won't recommend buying online for your prescription, the best is fitting aspheric lenses and therefore you will have to measure fitting height and you can't do this online .
Original post by Kathy89
The frame choice depends on your face features (shape, size, color, facial hair etc...).

1.74 sounds good, sometimes 1.67 or 1.7 is enough though.

I buy from Zenni optical, it is the only website I am satisfied with from what I tried Although I won't recommend buying online for your prescription, the best is fitting aspheric lenses and therefore you will have to measure fitting height and you can't do this online .

Yeah you're right

I was looking at the inside of one of my glasses and it says this: 54 [] 16 - 141

What does this mean? 54 pd, 16 length?
Yeah you're right

I was looking at the inside of one of my glasses and it says this: 54 [] 16 - 141

54 is the Width of your frame.
PD should be written on your prescription paper.

If you choose such a big frame you should take 1.74 index.
Reply 15

NO the bigger the frame the bigger the lens and the thicker the sides would be . Choosing small frames with at least a 1.67 refractive index is the way to go. A high myop myself i have seen Seiko lenses are a lot thinner than other lenses(like 48% thinner i think)
Original post by A_J_B
NO the bigger the frame the bigger the lens and the thicker the sides would be . Choosing small frames with at least a 1.67 refractive index is the way to go. A high myop myself i have seen Seiko lenses are a lot thinner than other lenses(like 48% thinner i think)

Seiko have the 1.7 index lenses and 1.74 index with very good optical quality.
Tokai have 1.76 index lenses and while the index is high, sometimes 1.74 are thinner, but the advantage of 1.76 is being suitable for drilling and coloring.
Reply 17
Yeah you're right

Does your frame look big on your face? Like does it stick out a lot on both sides
Original post by A_J_B
Does your frame look big on your face? Like does it stick out a lot on both sides

Yes, it's sort of too wide in my opinion and I would like it more narrow. If 54 does relate to frame width as someone above has mentioned then I would consider ordering a pair with 49-52 because I have other frames that are like 50 and 52 which fit a lot nicer. As for lense choice, I feel like I need to go for 1.74 due to my prescription. Do you know of any good frames that are shaped round to help achieve a thinner look?

Kathy (@Kathy89), do you know what types of minus prescription 1.74 index can deal or cope with and what point the minus prescription is too much to thin down? I always thought at -10 it can still achieve a good look but pushing -10 would cause issues.

Thanks for the advice. I think my glasses have always been made thinner due to my prescription however my local Optcians have never informed me about the sort of index they supply with the frames I choose. My glasses lenses look really bulky now and I'm hoping this is only the case because the best high index lenses haven't yet been chosen by myself or the Opticians I go to.

Quick Reply

Latest