The Student Room Group

I have no idea what a levels to take!!!!

i’m currently in year 11 (ofc my exams have been cancelled so i have alot of free time on my hands) so i thought i’ll do abit of research into sixth form and my choices.
i’ve already handed my application which i chose double graphics & media but i chose them without thought and want to change them completely however, i have no idea what to pick!!
i have some interest in running a business (although i’ve never studied business) and i’m also interested in creativity (mainly fashion) and i have to pick 3 a-levels for next year.
does anyone have any advice? i’m hella stressed right now!!
Original post by sarahluv
i’m currently in year 11 (ofc my exams have been cancelled so i have alot of free time on my hands) so i thought i’ll do abit of research into sixth form and my choices.
i’ve already handed my application which i chose double graphics & media but i chose them without thought and want to change them completely however, i have no idea what to pick!!
i have some interest in running a business (although i’ve never studied business) and i’m also interested in creativity (mainly fashion) and i have to pick 3 a-levels for next year.
does anyone have any advice? i’m hella stressed right now!!

Do they offer A-Level Textiles at your college?

You could consider doing BTEC Business Studies in lieu of an A-Level. Most people who take an A-Level or BTEC in Business have never studied it before- most people will be in the same boat.
Some people do end up running their own textiles business.
I once did work experience with a self employed textiles conservationists. Although you do have to do A-Levels Chemistry to it and uni masters
Point being that it is a very diverse field.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by glassalice
Do they offer A-Level Textiles at your college?

You could consider doing BTEC Business Studies in lieu of an A-Level. Most people who take an A-Level or BTEC in Business have never studied it before- most people will be in the same boat.

they don’t offer textiles but i was thinking about product design as one choice because it’s an art/design related subject and another one as btec business studies. i’m going to a sixth form rather than college so i have 3 options instead of just one course
(edited 3 years ago)
they don’t offer textiles but i was thinking about product design as one choice because it’s an art/design related subject and another one as btec business studies. i’m going to a sixth form rather than college so i have 3 options instead of just one course

Yes, product design sounds like it would suit you.

I meant that at most colleges/ sixth forms there is an option to take a BTEC course in business worth 1 A-Level along side 2 other subjects.
Reply 4
Yes, product design sounds like it would suit you.

I meant that at most colleges/ sixth forms there is an option to take a BTEC course in business worth 1 A-Level along side 2 other subjects.

ohh okay sorry about that but yes that’s an option at my sixth form. i was thinking btec business, product design and psychology? product design & business would be new to me at a level and psychology i have studied for gcse however i’ll only be picking it to fill in the gap as i don’t know what to do for a third which would be a terrible idea.
ohh okay sorry about that but yes that’s an option at my sixth form. i was thinking btec business, product design and psychology? product design & business would be new to me at a level and psychology i have studied for gcse however i’ll only be picking it to fill in the gap as i don’t know what to do for a third which would be a terrible idea.

Did you enjoy GCSE psychology?
If you did, go for it.
An understanding of psychology is a 100% relevant to business.
Reply 6
Did you enjoy GCSE psychology?
If you did, go for it.
An understanding of psychology is a 100% relevant to business.

i did enjoy it slightly and achieved good grades in it but i’ve heard a-level and gcse are quite different based on what’s studied
i did enjoy it slightly and achieved good grades in it but i’ve heard a-level and gcse are quite different based on what’s studied

Why don't you briefly have a look at the exam board syllabus to see if you might be interested?
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/psychology/as-and-a-level/psychology-7181-7182/specification-at-a-glance
NB. There are other exam boards, but they are all fairly similar.

They only go into deeper topics so expect to write longer, more detailed essays but it's still similar to GCSEs
I did alevel product design so if you have any questions about it dont hesitate to ask :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by CoolCavy
I did alevel product design so if you have any questions about it dont hesitate to ask :smile:

i just saw your reply now but i do have a few questions :smile:
- was your course mainly exam based or coursework based?
- what exam board/ what kind of things did you study?
- how did you find it overall?

Quick Reply

Latest