The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea University Freshers 2020

Heya,
I'm excited to say that I'm joining Swansea University this September for Materials Science and Engineering. One of the emails mentioned joining groups ahead of the academic year, and, as a forum for students, I thought this might be a decent one to start with.

Scroll to see replies

Hi.
A good place to find fellow students in via the Swansea freshers Facebook page!
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Hi.
A good place to find fellow students in via the Swansea freshers Facebook page!

okay! thank you :smile:
Hey! I've heard that classes might be online. Do you know anything?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey! I've heard that classes might be online. Do you know anything?

We know nothing so far. Possibly the university is waiting until exams have finished which is the end of next week before making any announcements.
Everyone keeps mentioning Facebook and I'm sat here like "I don't have Facebook":indiff:
Hey! I've accepted my unconditional for psychology this year at Swansea, I can't wait :smile: I'm happy they seem to be giving us the option of whether or not we want to attend remotely but it does make me kind of unsure of what to do about accommodation. Is anyone else delaying booking accommodation because of this?
Hey @joerickard :smile:

Congratulations on accepting your offer, we look forward to welcoming you in Swansea!

The accommodation team have collated some FAQ's which you may find useful:

Will I be held liable for rent if the University isn't open or is doing online learning?
If you can’t move into your accommodation due to the current situation then you will not be charged rent until this is possible

What if the Uni is open but I can't attend because of coronavirus?
You would need to contact Residential Services about your particular situation but we recognise that a flexible approach will be needed for individual cases

Will I get my deposit back if I don't move into accommodation because of coronavirus?
If you will still attend the university at a later date your deposit will be rolled over for you so that it can be applied to your accommodation booking. If you accommodation is open but you choose not to take it up you will need to contact Residential Services and we will advise you whether any refund is possible

If you have an accommodation preference, I would encourage getting an application in sooner rather than later to increase the chances of getting the accommodation you want!

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions then feel free to ask on here or drop us a message in our inbox!
- Mia :smile:
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hey @joerickard :smile:

Congratulations on accepting your offer, we look forward to welcoming you in Swansea!

The accommodation team have collated some FAQ's which you may find useful:

Will I be held liable for rent if the University isn't open or is doing online learning?
If you can’t move into your accommodation due to the current situation then you will not be charged rent until this is possible

What if the Uni is open but I can't attend because of coronavirus?
You would need to contact Residential Services about your particular situation but we recognise that a flexible approach will be needed for individual cases

Will I get my deposit back if I don't move into accommodation because of coronavirus?
If you will still attend the university at a later date your deposit will be rolled over for you so that it can be applied to your accommodation booking. If you accommodation is open but you choose not to take it up you will need to contact Residential Services and we will advise you whether any refund is possible

If you have an accommodation preference, I would encourage getting an application in sooner rather than later to increase the chances of getting the accommodation you want!

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions then feel free to ask on here or drop us a message in our inbox!
- Mia :smile:

Thanks for that, Mia! It's a crazy time but I'm sure it'll sort itself out soon enough and we'll be more sure of what to do. I'm excited to start regardless. So basically it will be that students can study remotely but only in exceptional circumstances?
Original post by joerickard
Hey! I've accepted my unconditional for psychology this year at Swansea, I can't wait :smile: I'm happy they seem to be giving us the option of whether or not we want to attend remotely but it does make me kind of unsure of what to do about accommodation. Is anyone else delaying booking accommodation because of this?

Hi!
Congratulations on your offer to study psychology!
I have just finished my first year studying psychology so if you have any questions about what first year is like just ask!
Hi!
Congratulations on your offer to study psychology!
I have just finished my first year studying psychology so if you have any questions about what first year is like just ask!

Hey Phonenixfeather99, thanks so much! Congrats on finishing first year :biggrin: do you have any advice as to how to approach first year or have any pre-reading suggestions? Also, I'd love to get into some outdoor pursuits stuff when I go down, I guess nature and the beach are a big reason certain people pick Swansea. Are there many people you've met that are into the same sort of thing?
Hey Phonenixfeather99, thanks so much! Congrats on finishing first year :biggrin: do you have any advice as to how to approach first year or have any pre-reading suggestions? Also, I'd love to get into some outdoor pursuits stuff when I go down, I guess nature and the beach are a big reason certain people pick Swansea. Are there many people you've met that are into the same sort of thing?

My biggest advice it to make sure you keep on top of the reading. Uni is a lot more work than A Levels and the first set of exams were a massive wake up call when it came to revision. There is so much content. It’s suggested that you spend a minimum of 5hours per module of additional reading a week to pass. To get a good mark you need to do more. Also, start coursework early and get familiar with APA referencing as this is the format all your written work will have to be submitted in. Purdue Owl is a good website to help you with APA website and is the place I go to when I need help.
I’ve made quite a few good friends at uni both on my course and in my flat. I’d suggest that you join a few societies to begin with as they are a great way to meet people with similar interests to you.
My biggest advice it to make sure you keep on top of the reading. Uni is a lot more work than A Levels and the first set of exams were a massive wake up call when it came to revision. There is so much content. It’s suggested that you spend a minimum of 5hours per module of additional reading a week to pass. To get a good mark you need to do more. Also, start coursework early and get familiar with APA referencing as this is the format all your written work will have to be submitted in. Purdue Owl is a good website to help you with APA website and is the place I go to when I need help.
I’ve made quite a few good friends at uni both on my course and in my flat. I’d suggest that you join a few societies to begin with as they are a great way to meet people with similar interests to you.

Thank you so much for this! I'll make sure to do some preliminary stuff before starting the course and get mega prepared :smile: appreciate the help.
Thank you so much for this! I'll make sure to do some preliminary stuff before starting the course and get mega prepared :smile: appreciate the help.

Just to put you in the picture. The Swansea Bay Health Board area actually had 1 new case needing hospital attention in today's details supplied by Public Health Wales. There was 1 yesterday and 4 the day before. Hywel Dda which is the Health Board to the west of Swansea has only had 3 cases in the last 5 days. The figures locally are looking good at the moment and hopefully will have gone by the time that you all come here
Original post by swanseajack1
Just to put you in the picture. The Swansea Bay Health Board area actually had 1 new case needing hospital attention in today's details supplied by Public Health Wales. There was 1 yesterday and 4 the day before. Hywel Dda which is the Health Board to the west of Swansea has only had 3 cases in the last 5 days. The figures locally are looking good at the moment and hopefully will have gone by the time that you all come here

Thank you for this mate, if things carry on the way they're going I'm sure we'll be in the clear in no time :smile:
Thank you for this mate, if things carry on the way they're going I'm sure we'll be in the clear in no time :smile:

The figures have just been announced for Wales today and there were no new cases in Swansea. This is up to sometime yesterday. Nationally there were 67 of which 36 were in North Wales and the majority of the others have been around Cardiff. Swansea itself has had 5 new cases in the last 5 days. Neath Port Talbot the area to the north and east of Swansea has had 6 new cases and Carmarthenshire to the west 8.
Hey,I am starting law at Swansea this september..
Hi! I'm gonna be starting in September studying chemistry
Hey, I'm starting Computer Science at Swansea this September

Quick Reply

Latest