The Student Room Group

Help with downhill junctions/ downhill roundabout

Hello I need some help with approaching and setting off on downhill junctions. When I approach a flat or uphill junction this is the method I use I approach it either in second or first if it's clear I go in second if not I drop to 1st then as I'm near I come off brake on gas and bite and balance if clear I carry on if not I stop and use the handbrake if I'm there for a while. I always use handbrake uphill but on a flat if I am stopped and don't need handbrake I come off footbrake set gas find bite then move off.

Is this a good way to approach downhill junctions and roundabouts or should I just keep the clutch down and use the brakes to control my speed. Also say if I come to a stop how should I set off again should I bring clutch up to bite off footbrake and then use gas and clutch to move off. Also if I used the handbrake what pedals will I need to set off again. Should I set gas and bite as you would on a flat or keep the footbrake down and then find bite and release handbrake while adding gas and bringing the clutch up.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by arsy50
Hello I need some help with approaching and setting off on downhill junctions. When I approach a flat or uphill junction this is the method I use I approach it either in second or first if it's clear I go in second if not I drop to 1st then as I'm near I come off brake on gas and bite and balance if clear I carry on if not I stop and use the handbrake if I'm there for a while. I always use handbrake uphill but on a flat if I am stopped and don't need handbrake I come off footbrake set gas find bite then move off.

Is this a good way to approach downhill junctions and roundabouts or should I just keep the clutch down and use the brakes to control my speed. Also say if I come to a stop how should I set off again should I bring clutch up to bite off footbrake and then use gas and clutch to move off. Also if I used the handbrake what pedals will I need to set off again.

Approaching downhill is no different, the stall point of the engine is the same regardless so you need to change gear and then press the clutch before that happens.

Always try to use the engine and gears to assist with braking otherwise the brakes will wear out much faster and you will also prevent them overheating on long hill descents as you control the speed.

You should aim to anticipate keeping the engine revs and gear appropriate such that you can accelerate smoothly if you do not need to stop and still keep the car under full control. Typically, this will be a speed appropriate for second gear for most conditions.

If you do stop, put your handbrake on. This will avoid getting a markdown by the examiner. Start off as you would under flat conditions but beware that the hill and engine will work to give a faster acceleration (dependent on the steepness of the hill).

Of course, once you have passed, it's best to drive the way you were taught. However bad habits can develop through increased confidence (sometimes arrogance) and familiarity with the cars performance. Stay focused and try to avoid.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
Approaching downhill is no different, the stall point of the engine is the same regardless so you need to press the clutch before that happens.

Always try to use the engine and gears to assist with braking otherwise the brakes will wear out much faster and you will also prevent them overheating on long hill descents as you control the speed.

You should aim to anticipate keeping the engine revs and gear appropriate such that you can accelerate smoothly if you do not need to stop and still keep the car under full control.

If you do stop, put your handbrake on. This will avoid getting a markdown by the examiner. Start off as you would under flat conditions but beware that the hill and engine will work to give a faster acceleration (dependent on the steepness of the hill).

Of course, once you have passed, it's best to drive the way you were taught. However bad habits can develop through increased confidence (sometimes arrogance) and familiarity with the cars performance. Stay focused and try to avoid.

Thanks, so should I keep the clutch down and use brakes to control speed or can I use the method of balancing clutch and gas to control my speed. Also if I did put handbrake on just before I set off can I not put footbrake down find bite then release handbrake.
Original post by arsy50
Thanks, so should I keep the clutch down and use brakes to control speed or can I use the method of balancing clutch and gas to control my speed. Also if I did put handbrake on just before I set off can I not put footbrake down find bite then release handbrake.

Only depress the clutch when changing gears or just before the engine stalls when stopping.

Clutch and gas balancing is only appropriate for an uphill start. Brake and clutch balancing for a downhill start.

Depending on the steepness of the downhill, release the handbrake more gently. Then as the car starts to roll, apply gas and bring up the clutch such that you move off smoothly at the same time releasing the handbrake fully.

You will find the car needs far less gas to avoid accelerating too quickly when pointing downhill. It's a case of coordinating handbrake, revs and clutch as with an uphill start, but the sequence happens faster if you are not prepared.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Only depress the clutch when changing gears or just before the engine stalls when stopping.

Clutch and gas balancing is only appropriate for an uphill start. Brake and clutch balancing for a downhill start.

Depending on the steepness of the downhill, release the handbrake more gently. Then as the car starts to roll, apply gas and bring up the clutch such that you move off smoothly at the same time releasing the handbrake fully.

You will find the car needs far less gas to avoid accelerating too quickly when pointing downhill. It's a case of coordinating handbrake, revs and clutch as with an uphill start, but the sequence happens faster if you are not prepared.

I see but would it be wrong to be on the footbrake while on the bite downhill to help control speed. Is that possible though? Also when I see people doing handbrake starts downhill they either have the clutch fully down with footbrake on then release handbrake or they have the clutch at bite with the footbrake on then release handbrake.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by arsy50
I see but would it be wrong to be on the footbrake while on the bite downhill to help control speed. Is that possible though?

No, it's correct way to do it. As I said, staying in the appropriate gear at all times while braking, helps control the car safely and prevents the brakes overheating together with prolonging brake life.
Reply 6
No, it's correct way to do it. As I said, staying in the appropriate gear at all times while braking, helps control the car safely and prevents the brakes overheating together with prolonging brake life.

Yes I understand so you are suggesting if you come to a complete stop downhill junction, apply handbrake then set gas and bite to move off, but my question is I have seen some people do downhill starts by keeping the foot either on the brake with clutch down or clutch at bite with brake on then releasing the handbrake are either of these methods acceptable.
Original post by arsy50
Yes I understand so you are suggesting if you come to a complete stop downhill junction, apply handbrake then set gas and bite to move off, but my question is I have seen some people do downhill starts by keeping the foot either on the brake with clutch down or clutch at bite with brake on then releasing the handbrake are either of these methods acceptable.

A good rule of thumb is to wait four or five seconds after coming to a stop before applying the handbrake if it looks like you will not move in that time.
i.e. in start stop traffic as it helps you move off quickly without holding up the traffic.

And yes, it's perfectly acceptable as you have described as long as it's performed at all times in a safe manner.
Reply 8
A good rule of thumb is to wait four or five seconds after coming to a stop before applying the handbrake if it looks like you will not move in that time.
i.e. in start stop traffic as it helps you move off quickly without holding up the traffic.

And yes, it's perfectly acceptable as you have described as long as it's performed at all times in a safe manner.

Thanks lastly let's say at a downhill junction or downhill roundabout you didn't need handbrake but were at a stop using the footbrake how would you move off again would you bring clutch up to bite off brake then on gas and move off or just come off the footbrake as it's downhill and then add gas and bring clutch up.
Original post by arsy50
Thanks lastly let's say at a downhill junction or downhill roundabout you didn't need handbrake but were at a stop using the footbrake how would you move off again would you bring clutch up to bite off brake then on gas and move off or just come off the footbrake as it's downhill and then add gas and bring clutch up.

Put the car into 1st gear, keep the clutch disengaged, then release the footbrake. The car will start rolling forward, apply gas and then bring the clutch up and proceed the same as if you were changing up as normal. Be prepared to use the footbrake and clutch if traffic demands you stop again.

Don't worry too much as confidence will come with practice. Just remember, if the hill is steep, use the handbrake procedure which then keeps the car in control.
Reply 10
Put the car into 1st gear, keep the clutch disengaged, then release the footbrake. The car will start rolling forward, apply gas and then bring the clutch up and proceed the same as if you were changing up as normal. Be prepared to use the footbrake and clutch if traffic demands you stop again.

Don't worry too much as confidence will come with practice. Just remember, if the hill is steep, use the handbrake procedure which then keeps the car in control.

Thank you so much for your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending