The Student Room Group

I don't know what course to pick I need help...

I'm looking for a course that had a lot of computer hardware involved, and a bit of software, software comes second to me as I like to to learn about what's inside a computer.The course I applied for was computer systems engineering on Kent and computing in NTU. What do you guys think is better for what I want to do?

Here is two of them.
https://www.ntu.ac.uk/study-and-courses/courses/find-your-course/science-technology/ug/2020-21/bsc-computing

https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/34/computer-systems-engineering-beng

Also I know its not easy to avoid maths...but I aint the brightest in that department I want to do all I can to not do much of it.

My offer for NTU is unconditional and Kent is wanting a MMP and passing maths. Which is kinda low, if a low conditional offer is something I should worry about?
(edited 4 years ago)
Best thing to do is email the faculty or head of course for a really specific breakdown. Have a look at apprenticeships as well I think if you want more hands on you might be more successful there, however I'm only an engineering student and haven't truly looked at computing

Write down all the pros and cons of each in a table and matter how big the point is a see how you feel, it should help you get your head more organised. Even if you really want someone to, they cannot make this decision for you cos it is your decision. You are going to be fine whatever you do. You are young! Perhaps you go and decide to change unis for second year, or complete a bachelors and take a masters elsewhere, the options are huge! Perhaps post on this and see by chance if there is someone from a similar course or either uni that could give you advice.

If you don't accept the unconditional as your firm does it revert back to a conditional?

Do not accept it just because it is an unconditional, if you accept the other one, and you don't pass maths, there is always clearing. And if you do accept that one or the unconditional and realise its not what you want there is always adjustment. Adjustment is where generally you do better than expected or change your mind, ring up your desired uni, check for places (if you are in the former group you can almost guarantee) then accept that offer, ring up your original uni say no thanks, they shouldn't force you to go, no uni wants students who don't want to be there. Don't forget to change your student finance. This choice is a little bit final but as with most thinsg in life its not too hard to change if you are desperate.
Reply 2
Original post by Roasted Potato
Best thing to do is email the faculty or head of course for a really specific breakdown. Have a look at apprenticeships as well I think if you want more hands on you might be more successful there, however I'm only an engineering student and haven't truly looked at computing

Write down all the pros and cons of each in a table and matter how big the point is a see how you feel, it should help you get your head more organised. Even if you really want someone to, they cannot make this decision for you cos it is your decision. You are going to be fine whatever you do. You are young! Perhaps you go and decide to change unis for second year, or complete a bachelors and take a masters elsewhere, the options are huge! Perhaps post on this and see by chance if there is someone from a similar course or either uni that could give you advice.

If you don't accept the unconditional as your firm does it revert back to a conditional?

Do not accept it just because it is an unconditional, if you accept the other one, and you don't pass maths, there is always clearing. And if you do accept that one or the unconditional and realise its not what you want there is always adjustment. Adjustment is where generally you do better than expected or change your mind, ring up your desired uni, check for places (if you are in the former group you can almost guarantee) then accept that offer, ring up your original uni say no thanks, they shouldn't force you to go, no uni wants students who don't want to be there. Don't forget to change your student finance. This choice is a little bit final but as with most thinsg in life its not too hard to change if you are desperate.

sorry for the REALLY late response. I ended up picking NTU they also said after the first year I can change my course.
Reply 3
If you want another useful source of info then this website is helpful https://www.whatuni.com/university-course-reviews/ - always find it useful to read other students experiences of the courses you are looking at :smile:
Original post by ChrisRock
sorry for the REALLY late response. I ended up picking NTU they also said after the first year I can change my course.

No probs. Good luck for the future!
Reply 5
Original post by Roasted Potato
No probs. Good luck for the future!

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending