The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (180 credits) Issues with grading system

Good evening, so I am currently studying an MBO 4 Degree in the Netherlands, this is comparable to a BTEC Level 3 Extended
Diploma (180 credits).

Problem is, I do not know how to convert my grading to the one you all use, D*D*D*, D*D*D D*D*M I have no clue what those mean and how to convert them.

I need to know what they are so I can check how many Ucas points I have, I need around 120 to follow an undergraduate which I am planning to do in a year or two.

Could someone help me and explain how these gradings work?
If you're wondering how my grading works, we use the 1-10 point system and I only have 16 classes and not 18.

Thank you in advance :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does no one have an answer?
7E002C4A-9555-4A0A-93F8-E01C69B5E7CE.jpg.jpeg

Hope this helps 😊
Original post by masterkoster
Does no one have an answer?

The problem is, you cannot directly compare the two. If you need to know how your qualification compares and to see if is acceptable fro University, you need to go through NARIC.
The link is at; https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/individuals/
This is normally done by the Institution you are applying to. You can do it as an individual, but there is a fee.
Original post by Lshort17
7E002C4A-9555-4A0A-93F8-E01C69B5E7CE.jpg.jpeg

Hope this helps 😊

Thanks, but the problem I have is I do not know how the grading is performed. What makes u have a DDD instead of a D*D*D*
Thanks, but the problem I have is I do not know how the grading is performed. What makes u have a DDD instead of a D*D*D*

Have you tried using the grade calculator on BTEC website which allows you to input your grades for each unit into the system and it will calculate the overall grade. No idea if this is what you need but other than that i dont know

“Edit, just reread your OP and i have no idea as it is converting a different course to a BTEC. Have you got in contact with any exam boards or tutors etc
(edited 3 years ago)
Have you tried using the grade calculator on BTEC website which allows you to input your grades for each unit into the system and it will calculate the overall grade. No idea if this is what you need but other than that i dont know

“Edit, just reread your OP and i have no idea as it is converting a different course to a BTEC. Have you got in contact with any exam boards or tutors etc

So the thing is, I'm Dutch but my degree is the equivalent of a BTEC etc degree. I read on some website's that you should have eighteen things which are graded and if you, for example, get a 6 (out of 10) u multiply that, so that would be 60. Do this for all the grades and u should get something between the 1300 and 1700 points( Or something around that)

Now depending on the amount that determines what u get like a D*D*D*.

But I've only seen this like once or twice and it's pretty confusing, my school doesn't know what to do with it and when I messaged one of the universities I was interested in all they could give me is that I needed 112 UCAS points... So it's all very confusing to me

In the Netherlands I could just go to a university with what I am doing at the moment but because I want to work in the united states of Amerika and because I found a good course (Speed up Software development) I've decided to study in the Uk manchester metropolitan university. But I have no clue what types of grades I need to have.
All I'm riding on is giving it my all and achieving the best I can I guess
When studying a BTEC Extended Diploma, you will have to do a minimum of 18 units.

Each Individual unit will be graded as a Pass (P), Merit (M), or Distinction (D).

Every grade will give you a certain amount of points, for a Pass (P) you will get 70 points, Merit (M) 80 points, and Distinction (D) 90 points.

When you completed every Unit (And passed all mandatory units) you add up all the points together.

Then you find where your total score places in the inequalities below:

> 1590 D*D*D* (168 UCAS points)
1560 - 1589 D*D*D (160 UCAS points)
1530 - 1559 D*DD (152 UCAS points)
1500 - 1529 DDD (144 UCAS points)
1460 - 1499 DDM (128 UCAS points)
1420 - 1459 DMM (112 UCAS points)
1380 - 1419 MMM (96 UCAS points)
1340 - 1379 MMP (80 UCAS points)
1300 - 1339 MPP (64 UCAS points)
1260 - 1299 PPP (48 UCAS points)

So you will need a grade of DMM (Distinction Merit Merit)

I hope this helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Smith1712
When studying a BTEC Extended Diploma, you will have to do a minimum of 18 units.

Each Individual unit will be graded as a Pass (P), Merit (M), or Distinction (D).

Every grade will give you a certain amount of points, for a Pass (P) you will get 70 points, Merit (M) 80 points, and Distinction (D) 90 points.

When you completed every Unit (And passed all mandatory units) you add up all the points together.

Then you find where your total score places in the inequalities below:

> 1590 D*D*D* (168 UCAS points)
1560 - 1589 D*D*D (160 UCAS points)
1530 - 1559 D*DD (152 UCAS points)
1500 - 1529 DDD (144 UCAS points)
1460 - 1499 DDM (128 UCAS points)
1420 - 1459 DMM (112 UCAS points)
1380 - 1419 MMM (96 UCAS points)
1340 - 1379 MMP (80 UCAS points)
1300 - 1339 MPP (64 UCAS points)
1260 - 1299 PPP (48 UCAS points)

So you will need a grade of DMM (Distinction Merit Merit)

I hope this helps.

I didnt even know that and im doing a BTEC hahaha
Good evening, so I am currently studying an MBO 4 Degree in the Netherlands, this is comparable to a BTEC Level 3 Extended
Diploma (180 credits).

Problem is, I do not know how to convert my grading to the one you all use, D*D*D*, D*D*D D*D*M I have no clue what those mean and how to convert them.

I need to know what they are so I can check how many Ucas points I have, I need around 120 to follow an undergraduate which I am planning to do in a year or two.

Could someone help me and explain how these gradings work?
If you're wondering how my grading works, we use the 1-10 point system and I only have 16 classes and not 18.

Thank you in advance :smile:

If only you had been patient and not bumped the thread, then I would have seen it and answered.
There are 2 ways to resolve this:

1. Contact the uni themselves and see if they have a direct comparison. UK unis are used to international students so its likely they have had Dutch students before.
2. In the event they have no readily available comparison, then they might ask you to undertake a naric comparison, which is paid for.

That is how these situations are solved.

Word of warning. You say degree, which means for the UK level 4 and above for qualifications.
Most peoples uni entrance qualifications are level 3.
If this is the case your application becomes more complicated as it will be non standard and not appropriate for comparison with BTEC.

For the Netherlands they tend to look for the Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs (VWO).
Original post by 999tigger
If only you had been patient and not bumped the thread, then I would have seen it and answered.
There are 2 ways to resolve this:

1. Contact the uni themselves and see if they have a direct comparison. UK unis are used to international students so its likely they have had Dutch students before.
2. In the event they have no readily available comparison, then they might ask you to undertake a naric comparison, which is paid for.

That is how these situations are solved.

Word of warning. You say degree, which means for the UK level 4 and above for qualifications.
Most peoples uni entrance qualifications are level 3.
If this is the case your application becomes more complicated as it will be non standard and not appropriate for comparison with BTEC.

For the Netherlands they tend to look for the Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs (VWO).

Hey, sorry for being impatient, been a few days and no one replied, though I don't know how it makes sense that you'd have seen it, wouldn't making a second reply bump it up?

To answer your guess, I did say it would be a level 3, or did you mean something else?
And yes I did know that they usually ask for a VWO, but and I have asked other universities, it's the standard requirement, but other qualifications are allowed, that's why it's probably evaluated on an individual level.

I also know that there are institutions that can "translate/compare" my degree to the qualifications over there. My issue is I do not know what type of grades I would have to achieve to be able to get 112 UCAS points, I barely know what is a lot and what is lacking. So my knowledge about the UCAS points is already pretty limited, added to the fact that Google doesn't really help, and the universities usually just say they will look at it at an individual level it all quite confusing.

I was also looking at the University of Edinburgh and while they do not take any BTEC certificates as they do not have them they would be willing to look at my curriculum, which I do not have and have requested from my teachers.. Which to my surprise don't know as well.. So I might be screwed here and will just have to hope that the grades I'd have achieved will be enough
Hey, sorry for being impatient, been a few days and no one replied, though I don't know how it makes sense that you'd have seen it, wouldn't making a second reply bump it up?

To answer your guess, I did say it would be a level 3, or did you mean something else?
And yes I did know that they usually ask for a VWO, but and I have asked other universities, it's the standard requirement, but other qualifications are allowed, that's why it's probably evaluated on an individual level.

I also know that there are institutions that can "translate/compare" my degree to the qualifications over there. My issue is I do not know what type of grades I would have to achieve to be able to get 112 UCAS points, I barely know what is a lot and what is lacking. So my knowledge about the UCAS points is already pretty limited, added to the fact that Google doesn't really help, and the universities usually just say they will look at it at an individual level it all quite confusing.

I was also looking at the University of Edinburgh and while they do not take any BTEC certificates as they do not have them they would be willing to look at my curriculum, which I do not have and have requested from my teachers.. Which to my surprise don't know as well.. So I might be screwed here and will just have to hope that the grades I'd have achieved will be enough

Nope its not your issue just the fact I only look at posts no one else has answered and you answered yourself sort of. Once its been answered I dont really see them.
112 UCAS points is ok but nothing special, more down to the C+/B- sort of area if that helps, so if for your qualification you are doing well to very well top 25%, then I imagine you will be ok should the uni choose to consider it. Only they can make that decision. They may ask for a Naric if they are unsure. Ask the admissions or the international team of your target university.

Edinburgh likely require much more than 112 and they may also require a naric. It is their choice whether to accept your qualification or not. I dont understand enough about dutch qualifications so cant say. They will need to ensure it is academic rather than vocational.
Original post by 999tigger
Nope its not your issue just the fact I only look at posts no one else has answered and you answered yourself sort of. Once its been answered I dont really see them.
112 UCAS points is ok but nothing special, more down to the C+/B- sort of area if that helps, so if for your qualification you are doing well to very well top 25%, then I imagine you will be ok should the uni choose to consider it. Only they can make that decision. They may ask for a Naric if they are unsure. Ask the admissions or the international team of your target university.

Edinburgh likely require much more than 112 and they may also require a naric. It is their choice whether to accept your qualification or not. I dont understand enough about dutch qualifications so cant say. They will need to ensure it is academic rather than vocational.

Thanks for the answer, but how would you reckon how many UCAS points universities require when a lot of them don't list them (to my knowledge) For example the Edinburgh one does not

https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=programme&code=G600
Thanks for the answer, but how would you reckon how many UCAS points universities require when a lot of them don't list them (to my knowledge) For example the Edinburgh one does not

https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=programme&code=G600

Pretty simple you would look at the common requirements for the A level or IB score and see how many ucas points that is.
Be warned a few places and courses do not accept ucas points but require you to have the specific qualifications at the specific grades. We have already worked out your qualification is non standard so you will have to contact them anyway and see what they think. If you are intending this to be for 2020, then realise you are very late and clearing is already open so you would need to get a move on.
136-144.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

I have reservations about your qualification, but as its non standard the only thing you can do is ask them.
I didnt even know that and im doing a BTEC hahaha

Btw ive got 10 distinctions 3 passes and 5 merits but when i put in my grade in calculator it goes to DMM, im pretty sure it should be higher with those amounts of distinctions
Original post by anonymous---..
Btw ive got 10 distinctions 3 passes and 5 merits but when i put in my grade in calculator it goes to DMM, im pretty sure it should be higher with those amounts of distinctions

Points from Distinctions: (90*10) = 900
Points from Merits: (80*5) = 400
Points from passes: (70*3) = 210

Total Points: 1510

This means you will get the grade DDD

This is assuming that you are doing units that are 10 credits (typical amount for Level 3 units). If one of your units is 20 credits, which is equivalent to 2 units, you double the points for that specific unit. If one of your units is 5 Credits, which is equivalent to half a unit, you will have to half the amount of points for that specific unit.
Points from Distinctions: (90*10) = 900
Points from Merits: (80*5) = 400
Points from passes: (70*3) = 210

Total Points: 1510

This means you will get the grade DDD

This is assuming that you are doing units that are 10 credits (typical amount for Level 3 units). If one of your units is 20 credits, which is equivalent to 2 units, you double the points for that specific unit. If one of your units is 5 Credits, which is equivalent to half a unit, you will have to half the amount of points for that specific unit.

2 of my distinctions units were 5 units last year, so if u make 2 distinctions 5 credit points how much is my grade
2 of my distinctions units were 5 units last year, so if u make 2 distinctions 5 credit points how much is my grade

Unfortunately, this will mean that your original calculation will be correct

Total Points: (1510 - 90) = 1420 points

Resulting in the grade DMM.
Unfortunately, this will mean that your original calculation will be correct

Total Points: (1510 - 90) = 1420 points

Resulting in the grade DMM.

my uni entry is DDM i was told that those grades were enough
my uni entry is DDM i was told that those grades were enough

plus in my first year i got DM

Quick Reply