The Student Room Group

How to Lose Weight Fast

Hi,
I have really been wanting to lose the weight that I gained from using my medication. I gained 8 kg in a year. I have been jogging for around 3-4 km a day for about 8 months, but I never lost weight. I just maybe lost a few grams but would gain them back the next day. I have lost hope and really want to go back to my original weight. I don't eat that much unhealthy food, just maybe once or twice a week. I love my food, so that's a bit of a problem, but I only eat when I need to.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Thank You.

Scroll to see replies

the best way to lose weoght is by food. if u had to options to choose from to lose weight and one of them was exercise and the other one is follow a diet, follow a diet, it is a lot more efficient. now it doesnt have to be super hard. First drink enough water, i have heard that drinking water with lemon juice in the morning helps. and then cut out sugar, like cupcakes, biscuits, CHOCOLATES, etc. make aure you eat food that burn calories, just google food that burn calories, i believe apple is one of them. also make sure you dont stress, stress can make u gain weight. make sure u eat 2 hrs before you go to sleep, and make sure u get enough sleep, at least 8 hrs. also if u are a woman, u would normally gain more weoght durimg that time of the month. and for working out, jogging is really good, but i would mix in some other exercise too, like squats, and crunches. dont burn yourself out, just make sure you are healthy ❤. also download those workout apps, they might help too
Original post by Cupcakehugs
the best way to lose weoght is by food. if u had to options to choose from to lose weight and one of them was exercise and the other one is follow a diet, follow a diet, it is a lot more efficient. now it doesnt have to be super hard. First drink enough water, i have heard that drinking water with lemon juice in the morning helps. and then cut out sugar, like cupcakes, biscuits, CHOCOLATES, etc. make aure you eat food that burn calories, just google food that burn calories, i believe apple is one of them. also make sure you dont stress, stress can make u gain weight. make sure u eat 2 hrs before you go to sleep, and make sure u get enough sleep, at least 8 hrs. also if u are a woman, u would normally gain more weoght durimg that time of the month. and for working out, jogging is really good, but i would mix in some other exercise too, like squats, and crunches. dont burn yourself out, just make sure you are healthy ❤. also download those workout apps, they might help too

I already don't really eat that much sugary and salty foods. And I try to drink at least 1.5 litres of water a day. I get exactly 8 hours of sleep most of the time. And do 50 crunches and 100 startups before sleeping. Unfortunately. I stress a lot like extremely a lot. I was already an anxious and over-prepared and clean person, but I have my exams coming up and I'm hoping to get a top grade. But thanks a lot for the help.
Original post by Allera
Hi,
I have really been wanting to lose the weight that I gained from using my medication. I gained 8 kg in a year. I have been jogging for around 3-4 km a day for about 8 months, but I never lost weight. I just maybe lost a few grams but would gain them back the next day. I have lost hope and really want to go back to my original weight. I don't eat that much unhealthy food, just maybe once or twice a week. I love my food, so that's a bit of a problem, but I only eat when I need to.
Thank You.

So what do you eat on a typical day?
Its not good to lose weight fast a few LB s a week is fine
Original post by Fermion.
So what do you eat on a typical day?

I usually eat light for breakfast, since I can't eat much in the morning without feeling like vomiting. For lunch, I tend to have rice with some gravy and a few fruits as snacks. For dinner, I eat light as well the food really varies.
Original post by laughinglad999
Its not good to lose weight fast a few LB s a week is fine

I understand but I basically want to see progress and lose weight. Honestly, any weight loss will be appreciated.
Original post by Allera
I usually eat light for breakfast, since I can't eat much in the morning without feeling like vomiting. For lunch, I tend to have rice with some gravy and a few fruits as snacks. For dinner, I eat light as well the food really varies.

I went from 17 stones to 12 stones by cutting out bread, pasta and rice. I also halved my portions. The gravy and rice doesn't sound particularly healthy to me. You should incorporate a lot more protein in your diet such as grilled chicken or fish and ensure most of your plate is salad/vegetables. Quinoa is a much healthier alternative to rice and is full of protein. You need to be in a calorie defecit for weight loss to happen. It doesn't matter how much you run but if you're ruining it with a bad diet then you won't lose any weight.
Original post by Allera
I understand but I basically want to see progress and lose weight. Honestly, any weight loss will be appreciated.

Why not talk with your doctor they will get you the help you need
Reply 9
Original post by Allera

If you are not eating enough nutritious food your body will go into starvation mode and store what food it does get as fat; it literally doesn't know where it's next meal is coming from. It's not just about reducing calories to lose weight, you still need to have a range from across the food groups to have the correct vitamins and minerals.

Rice and gravy isn't a healthy meal. Get proper medical advice from your GP if you have problems eating and don't understand how to prepare balanced meals.
I don't just eat rice and gravy. My lunch meal really varies. Sometimes it chicken or meat curry, or sometimes just a vegetable curry. Around 3 times a week I have a salad. Basically what I am trying to say is that I don't just eat rice and gravy. It's just that I can't really tell what I eat for lunch, because it's never the same.
Hi Allera - if you are still on the medication that may be an issue. If not, I'd recommend checking out Weight Watchers (the app is great) or Noom (not tried it but it has a terrific following). Any sort of system that helps you eat more mindfully and enables you to plan will be ideal for you. Well done for asking for help.
maybe try keeping a food diary to see if your diet is actually as varied as you think. It will also help you to realise if snacks etc are creeping in more often than you thought. Do you manage 5 fruit & veg portions a day - that should be the minimum but more would be better.
Reply 13
Original post by Allera
I don't just eat rice and gravy. My lunch meal really varies. Sometimes it chicken or meat curry, or sometimes just a vegetable curry. Around 3 times a week I have a salad. Basically what I am trying to say is that I don't just eat rice and gravy. It's just that I can't really tell what I eat for lunch, because it's never the same.

I know you don't just eat that, but saying 'rice and gravy' in post #6 sounds like you're just having a plate of rice with Bisto. You could have said meat or veg curries and salads, then we would have understood you were having something more substantial than just a sauce.

If you have rice, make it brown. Have vegetables with the meat curries and make sure the sauce is light and not too oily. Make sure the salads have protein and plenty of veg and try and include some raw; carrots are the most common, but you can have baby corn, peas, broccoli, cauliflower.
Original post by Surnia
If you are not eating enough nutritious food your body will go into starvation mode and store what food it does get as fat; it literally doesn't know where it's next meal is coming from. It's not just about reducing calories to lose weight, you still need to have a range from across the food groups to have the correct vitamins and minerals.

Rice and gravy isn't a healthy meal. Get proper medical advice from your GP if you have problems eating and don't understand how to prepare balanced meals.

Starvation mode is a myth. People think it exists bc when they reduce their kcals, their body automatically reduces energy expended by reducing NEAT and thus they are more likely to be in a surplus than a deficit and gain weight.
Original post by Cupcakehugs

So if I ate 100 apples every day I would lose weight?
Original post by Nutritionist

You'd probably get diarrhoea if you could even eat that many.
Original post by Nutritionist

no 🤦🏽
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Allera
Hi,
Thank You.

The fastest way without amputation is surgery. Liposuction removes fat itself and bariatric surgery reduces your calorie intake, usually by making your stomach itself smaller so that smaller portions fill you up faster.

This is probably not what you're looking for, but I feel compelled to ask: why FAST?

Losing weight fast is a good way to lead to unhealthy habits, particularly crash diets that make your weight yo-yo up and down, sometimes leading to you gaining MORE weight back than you lose. Things like super restrictive diets, limiting you to a single food type are effective, but only in the short term and can potentially have very bad side effects, depending on what you do. Replacing full, whole meals with shakes, eliminating all fats or all proteins or all carbohydrates is unhealthy in the long run and often just isn't something you can or should do.

The most effective diets incorporate a number of changes that alter your life, not just make you feel like you are denying yourself pleasure for awhile to make rapid changes.

Eat smaller portions, rather than cut out whole food groups. When you do this, you are less likely to cheat and binge when you are presented with temptations. It's better to eat a small piece of chocolate to satisfy a craving than to eat a whole chocolate cake in one sitting because you cut out all sugar. Using smaller plates actually helps, as well as cooking meals for yourself, so you can portion out only how much you need, rather than going to a restaurant, which will feature as much food as possible for a higher price, rather than a more sensible size for a lower cost.

Eat more vegetables and lean meats. Both of these will help with satiety (the sensation of feeling full), by giving you more food size per calorie. Eating a whole plate of broccoli and lean chicken, will be more satisfying than eating one strip of bacon and half a piece of white bread with butter, even if they both have the same number of calories.

Exercise more. The math is fairly simple: if you want to lose weight, then calories out > calories in. Eating less helps reduce the calories in. Exercising more helps increase the calories out. Even a number of small changes can make a difference if you do enough of them. Park your car far away from the shopping center and force yourself to walk another 1000 feet to the store. When you go to grab the mail, walk around the block as you open it up. of course, doing a full workout or going to the gym will really increase your caloric expenditure, but some people need to ease into that, or else you'll do the New Year's resolution thing where you join on January 2nd and stop going before February 2nd.

Limit sedentary habits: like the "eating smaller portions" advice, don't deny yourself completely, but do these things in smaller doses. Don't sit down and watch television for hours, watch a program, then get up and do other things. Put a timer next to your computer and limit yourself to half an hour on Reddit, before you do something else, even if it's only doing 15 sit-ups or push-ups. Play one game of League of Legends, then go outside and walk or run a mile.

Sleep regularly - this means setting a regular schedule and sleeping a good amount. Don't sleep in on Saturday morning and try to shift back to waking up at 7AM on Monday; your body will be worse for it. Go to sleep earlier and get up earlier if that's what it takes to maintain a regular sleep schedule. You want your body to develop a good cycle.

Enlist the help of groups - telling your friends or spouses what you are doing helps with accountability. If they know you are trying to lose weight, you can more easily refuse snacks at parties and they can ask for progress reports and you will feel more pressure to keep up good habits so that you can tell them that you are still keeping up and losing weight.
Thank You!

Quick Reply

Latest