The Student Room Group

Should women be allowed to breastfeed in public?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harrysbar
As Boris said, Eat Out to Help Out and no one is too young :tongue:

Best comment on here tbh,
And obviously I agree that breast feeding is allowed in public. Feeding a child is not a crime (and in my opinion we should stop s*xualising women's bodies #freethenipple)
world breastfeeding week is a thing?
but yes, of course they should be able to.
Original post by StriderHort
So...put the incels feelings before everyone else's basically? :tongue:

Not exactly, as I believe the incels just find the act of breastfeeding in public as something indecent.

Plus people are going to judge irrespective, no? Imo may as well allow a clear reason to be created for your actions.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Not exactly, as I believe the incels just find the act of breastfeeding in public as something indecent.

Plus people are going to judge irrespective, no? Imo may as well allow a clear reason to be created for your actions.

God no? If these offended incelly types are going to judge anyway WHY THE HELL would you further inconvenience decent people by even trying to take such ****holes irrational wishes into account? Their problem, they can get out and stay out.

I mean, what next? Women shouldn't be allowed to smile coming or going from a family planning clinic in case it upsets the frothing incels there?. Don't pander to bad people.
Go for it. Don’t have to look if you don’t like it.
Breasts evolved for feeding children, so obviously yes. Shouldn’t even be a question. We were all children once too.
God no? If these offended incelly types are going to judge anyway WHY THE HELL would you further inconvenience decent people by even trying to take such ****holes irrational wishes into account? Their problem, they can get out and stay out.

I mean, what next? Women shouldn't be allowed to smile coming or going from a family planning clinic in case it upsets the frothing incels there?. Don't pander to bad people.

Sometimes you have to give slight leeway, especially if the incels are people you come into contact daily. Otherwise you'll just be inconveniencing yourself.

However, I totally agree with what you say if it's random people. Certainly you shouldn't care what random say since what are the odds you'll meet them again.
why is this even a question
No, no leeway, Incel Outside

"Gee well, People like Tommy Robinson, Dominic Raab and Katie Hopkins will always be judgemental... but, couldn't all the black and brown people do their bit by, y'know, eating off the floor and not wearing pants?. May as well give the racists a clear signal that minorities are animals."

In lieu of the quote being a bit off topic, as it is looking more at racism which is a bigger societal issue when compared to a bunch of incels finding tits indecent - I agree that no leeway should be given for people with such selfishly extreme opinions.

Going back to the original argument; ngl you've made a strong point, and I mostly agree with it. But I still want to stick to my guns and say we should adopt a different approach depending on the people we interact with. E.g. I won't have my missus openly breastfeeding in front of a group of men, I'd cover her.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes. Why should a baby suffer because someone has an issue with a literal natural process that doesn’t affect them whatsoever?

If you have an issue with breast feeding, you could just, you know... look away 🤔
Reply 30
Original post by DrawTheLine
1st to 7th August 2020 is World Breastfeeding Week, with this year's theme being about supporting women who choose to breastfeed. Breastfeeding can be quite a controversial topic, so here on TSR we wanted to have some open, friendly discussions about opinions on breastfeeding.

Should women be allowed to breastfeed in public? Why or why not?

REMINDER:

Spoiler

gross, but i don't particularly care, if they want to then sure
Original post by Jang Gwangnam

It's a natural thing for mothers to do, and the baby's head covers most of it anyway, so I don't see an issue.
And like post 31 said, why should a baby have to stay hungry just because some people have a problem with mothers feeding their children?
Original post by Ciel.
gross,

Honestly, why is it gross?
Reply 33
Original post by Compost
Honestly, why is it gross?

it's seems like a very unhygienic thing to do it, especially in public.
also, don't just edit out my posts to make me look bad
Yes. A breast is for feeding babies, and someone should be able to feed their baby somewhere comfortable, not a bathroom or somewhere disgusting. Anyone who finds it sexual is just a creep, conditioned to think that way by a broken society, much like how the calf used to be considered raunchy in times where women were expected to cover up. Don't punish women and children for creepy people choosing to sexualise feeding a baby / a body part with no sexual function.
Original post by KelsieTaylor
It's a natural thing for mothers to do, and the baby's head covers most of it anyway, so I don't see an issue.
And like post 31 said, why should a baby have to stay hungry just because some people have a problem with mothers feeding their children?

Sorry, I think I didn't word my opinion very well.

I 100% agree with what you're saying; the point I was arguing was in regards to letting the baby cry for food a bit longer before resorting to breastfeeding, this would help create a clear reason for the mother to feed her baby publicly and as a result it would help reduce the insults among the incels in society.

Conversely @StriderHort said that mothers shouldn't give any leeway to the demands of the incels. We as a social group should act stubbornly against such selfish individuals (referring to the incels here).

I counteracted that by saying we should adopt a different approach for every individual becuase it would help maintain peace within our society.
As long as the breasts aren't on show, there's easy ways to do that but takes a bit of working out for some clearly ...
Original post by Ciel.
it's seems like a very unhygienic thing to do it, especially in public.
also, don't just edit out my posts to make me look bad

Babies who are breastfed are significantly less likely to suffer from stomach problems, vomiting and diarrhoea than bottle-fed babies. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/benefits-breastfeeding/

(I quoted the relevant part of the post - you consider breastfeeding to be gross)
Reply 38
Original post by Compost
Babies who are breastfed are significantly less likely to suffer from stomach problems, vomiting and diarrhoea than bottle-fed babies. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/benefits-breastfeeding/

(I quoted the relevant part of the post - you consider breastfeeding to be gross)

like i said, i don't have an issue with them. i just think it's gross. babies are gross, too...
and anyway, i was a bottle-fed baby and i turned out perfectly fine so i don't think that's true in most cases.
Original post by Ciel.
i was a bottle-fed baby and i turned out perfectly fine so i don't think that's true in most cases.

Agreed, most babies are fine, but bottle babies are significantly more likely than breast-fed babies to land up in hospital with gastric problems in their first year - demonstrating my point that breast-feeding is not unhygienic (or if it is, it is less so than bottle feeding.). (It's also massively less trouble)

Quick Reply

Latest