The Student Room Group

Sharing food with housemate

Hi. I will be moving into a house share with one other person next month and I was wondering, do people usually share food/buy food together?

The house has two small fridge freezers and I personally want to buy my own food online from my own favorite supermarket - it’s easy to budget that way. I don’t mind sharing the odd thing and cooking once in a while but I don’t particularly want to share everything.

Does that sound selfish? Should I be more open to sharing? What do you do?
i mean cooking a meal for two seems to be a productive way to live the uni life, wld mean both of you can chip into your meals which wld mean you have more money for other things.

if you dont wanna share food though its up to u
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. I will be moving into a house share with one other person next month and I was wondering, do people usually share food/buy food together?

The house has two small fridge freezers and I personally want to buy my own food online from my own favorite supermarket - it’s easy to budget that way. I don’t mind sharing the odd thing and cooking once in a while but I don’t particularly want to share everything.

Hi get the ground rules clear from the get-go. If you don't want to share food and cook together simply make it clear. I lived in a house with three others and we tried sharing and cooking together but it did not work out. My friend and I would cook nice meals for the house - pork chops and mashed potato for example. When it was the turn of the other two we ended up with beans on toast! We only had one fridge so each of us took a shelf and put our milk, eggs etc on our shelf and the rule was that no one would nick food - yeah there was the borrowing of eggs and milk but on the understanding, it would be replaced.
Reply 3
Hey, thanks for replying! I think I’ll make it clear from the start like you suggested. I don’t want to be unfriendly though obviously - borrowing stuff is totally cool but yeah, I think I just prefer buying/cooking my own food. I don’t wanna get beans on toast and I cook pork chops!!

I think it’s actually easier though because the house has two small fridge freezers for some reason!
Original post by mike23mike
Hi get the ground rules clear from the get-go. If you don't want to share food and cook together simply make it clear. I lived in a house with three others and we tried sharing and cooking together but it did not work out. My friend and I would cook nice meals for the house - pork chops and mashed potato for example. When it was the turn of the other two we ended up with beans on toast! We only had one fridge so each of us took a shelf and put our milk, eggs etc on our shelf and the rule was that no one would nick food - yeah there was the borrowing of eggs and milk but on the understanding, it would be replaced.

Hey!

Its completely up to you if you want to cook together or cook by yourself, you could always decide to cook together on some nights- say if you wanted to make a lasagne or something which would be difficult to cook portion wise for just one person

Just make it clear either way and you'll be fine

Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 5
in my experience very little sharing. my two flatmates this year share everything, but they knew each other before starting uni (friends from their home country). none of my other flatmates over the years asked me to share. it was assumed we did our own thing; we all had our own schedules, diets and budgets. i wouldn't worry if i were you cuz chances are just as good your flatmates don't want to share with you either :smile:

I never shared any food with my housemates. We had a mutual agreement that we all get a shelf in the fridge and if it isn't yours, then you just don't touch it. Every now and then we would ask to borrow a bit of milk or something but 99% of the time we stuck to our own things. I was quite particular with food, meal planning etc. and I didn't want to spend time eating food I didn't really like that someone else made. We ate our meals together sometimes but we never cooked together or for each other.
most don’t like sharing from my experience, depends on what they’re like. I personally don’t mind. Mine don’t want to order groceries into the flat together so I just get my own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending