The Student Room Group

Covid driving tests

Does anyone have any idea when we will be able to book driving tests again?? Or how long the backlog will take to get through?
Original post by Kxxknowles
Does anyone have any idea when we will be able to book driving tests again?? Or how long the backlog will take to get through?

How long's a piece of string?

Sorry for the sarky answer, but in reality no-one has any idea. A few posts on here seem to indicate two month or so from people connected with the industry (or claiming to be connected with the industry, this is the internet after all), but depending on a myriad of other facts it could easily be far longer. Test that were on hold will need to be booked before the system can be opened up to new test candidates, although a lot of people might be holding off due to not being able to book a retest if they do fail.

If there's a slow take up of on hold tests, or the government needs to push through a load of critical worker tests then it could take even longer. If there's a second lockdown or your area goes into local lockdown you could have to wait even longer. Not all test centres are open either, so fewer tests centres will be dealing with more tests.

Going by those who are booking on hold tests or critical worker tests, there is actually a shoot tonne of free capacity in the system that isn't being utilised, but can't be booked due to the national restrictions on who can book a test, which is a far bigger frustration for many of us who are basically waiting for someone in the DVSA/DfT to make a decision to allow us to book a test rather than waiting for a test cancellation/test slot as we normally would be.
Mine was a ‘priority’ test which was supposed to happen this friday, it got postponed today to mid-September 😭 so I suppose theres struggles even with key worker tests/tests that were cancelled before lockdown.
My instructor said the tests are booked until January lol
Original post by overalltea
Mine was a ‘priority’ test which was supposed to happen this friday, it got postponed today to mid-September 😭 so I suppose theres struggles even with key worker tests/tests that were cancelled before lockdown.

Was it booked prior to lockdown, if so the new dates you've been given are place-holders not actual test dates. You'll receive an email asking you to book your test, they're going out in waves to people who had pre-lockdown and then you go and book (mine was originally mid-March, I took it last week) so you may be able to get in sooner than mid-September or it may be a bit later. If you got an email sent to say 'this is your new date' those don't apply anymore once you receive the rebooking email.

Original post by AkshatPatel
My instructor said the tests are booked until January lol

The booking system doesn't go that far out - it's generally 3 months to 18 weeks which would take us up to around Christmas, so that's highly unlikely.

Even then - when I went in to book my test for on hold last week there was a lot of available slots at the local test centres for the next few weeks, I'd be suprised if these had all been snapped up already, plus a load more. The issue is obviously once the booking system re-opened it's quite possible the initial wait time is going to be horrendous.
(edited 3 years ago)

Are you a critical worker mate? I've finally got the hang of driving and felt ready for a test but then covid happened, I wanna do my test before my insurance runs out and I don't wanna have a break from driving in case I get rusty (manual btw). Ty
Original post by TomNookBig
Are you a critical worker mate? I've finally got the hang of driving and felt ready for a test but then covid happened, I wanna do my test before my insurance runs out and I don't wanna have a break from driving in case I get rusty (manual btw). Ty

I am a critical worker but it just so happens that I also had a test booked in April, the non-critical worker's test was rebooked sooner so I left it at that. I do acknowledge it's only 5 weeks and I should be grateful, but still gutted all the same as I do feel ready.
Reply 7

Omg really!? Why did it get postponed? hope they haven’t started postponing them all again now that we have rebooked! This is a nightmare, can’t believe I had so many years to learn to drive and I somehow finally started in February of Covid-2020 lol
Reply 8
Ikr, this is our luck. I had a test a week before lockdown. Me and my instructor were joking around, underestimating the intensity of COVID 19. It's been months.
Anyways, unfortunately I failed that test. Theory's going to expire next year, i'm the type of person that stresses a lot. There's plenty of people whose theory expired :mad:. Grr, just want it to be over with!

edit: got an email to re-book my test, i've tried logging onto DVSA several times, but an error page pops up. Icing on the cake :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Carmizel
Omg really!? Why did it get postponed? hope they haven’t started postponing them all again now that we have rebooked! This is a nightmare, can’t believe I had so many years to learn to drive and I somehow finally started in February of Covid-2020 lol

This was the email -
image0 (1).jpg
And to top it all off they rebooked me to sit my test during rush hour :lolwut: I could change the time though thankfully. 'Due to your driving emainer no longer being available' - this was the same thing that was said when all the tests got cancelled due to Covid so I guess it means they had no examiners who were ok to sit in a car with me? I'm guessing they're running on limited capacity and lots might have conditions whic class them as vulnerable. idk, still gutted but 5 weeks isn't end of the world I guess.
Reply 10
They get postponed all the time. Examiners get involved with accidents and need to go to hospital, we had it happen on Friday.
Oh right I see. That sucks, I’m sorry that it’s been postponed again!

I actually chose rush hour (8am) my instructor told me to! I’m not a morning person but he said it’s easier to drive in slow moving traffic?! Idk, I feel like nerves will make me fail for sure because I HATE anyone watching/judging me and well - that is basically what a driving test is all about haha!!! but I have invested too much in this damn test to give up before at least taking 1 test. I’ll never get a retest at this rate, maybe in 2022.
Reply 12
Oh right I see. That sucks, I’m sorry that it’s been postponed again!

I actually chose rush hour (8am) my instructor told me to! I’m not a morning person but he said it’s easier to drive in slow moving traffic?! Idk, I feel like nerves will make me fail for sure because I HATE anyone watching/judging me and well - that is basically what a driving test is all about haha!!! but I have invested too much in this damn test to give up before at least taking 1 test. I’ll never get a retest at this rate, maybe in 2022.

Im not going to tell you it was a bad idea but it’s definitely easier when the roads are quieter...
Reply 13
I've been looking for another date for my theory test (ideally not another city miles and miles away)

Nothing available until October round here!

If it is that dire for the theory test, I can imagine how awful it is for the practical.
Original post by TheDE
Im not going to tell you it was a bad idea but it’s definitely easier when the roads are quieter...

So I had my first driving test yesterday at 8am. To say I was nervous was an understatement.

Woke up at 4am to torrential rain and gail force winds, maybe that worked in my favour as the roads were less busy, but I passed and now I can live a stress free life haha
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
So I had my first driving test yesterday at 8am. To say I was nervous was an understatement.

Woke up at 4am to torrential rain and gail force winds, maybe that worked in my favour as the roads were less busy, but I passed and now I can live a stress free life haha

Congratulations!
Reply 16

Congrats!!

Even better in a way, you don't get penalised for being a little extra cautious with your driving either.

Drive at 35 on a 40 in dry conditions: fail.

Drive at 35 on a 40 in wet conditions: pass, you're driving according to the conditions of the road.
(edited 3 years ago)

Original post by TheDE
Congratulations!

You must be fortunate if you do not have the usual people on the road where you live. Those with Chelsea Tractors going to and from school with a journey that could be walked in 15 minutes or less will be back next week, and those men whose employers have forced them back to the office and drive a BMW or Mercedes, who are insecure about the size of their manhood and drive in a bad way.
Original post by FRS500
Congrats!!

Even better in a way, you don't get penalised for being a little extra cautious with your driving either.

Drive at 35 on a 40 in dry conditions: fail.

Drive at 35 on a 40 in wet conditions: pass, you're driving according to the conditions of the road.

Thanks!

Haha yeah. I was a bit more cautious due to not ever having driven in such awful conditions (it was bucketing it down, he made me have my window half open - cos corona - and I got soaked thanks to the gail force winds smashing the rain into me haha!)

At the end he said "You were a bit hesitant and slow at times" I said “Yeah sorry, I was a bit cautious because of the weather” and he replied sarcastically “Well, we don’t give you a driving license just for the sunshine do we” lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending