The Student Room Group

Mocks to be used as backup

https://apple.news/A07ZHWwTMQj2VC61LITCMPQ

Man I wish I revised harder for my mocks. But personally I’m happy with this as it makes me feel better that they’re putting things in place.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In my opinion, it isn't the best method to determine the capability of students. The way I see it, is that mocks aren't reliable. Not 'wrong' per se, but flawed. For example, let's have A, B and C (students). A cheats on their mocks and gets an A*. B revised and gained an A. C didn't revise (due to whatever reasons you want to implement) and got a U. However, C is the 'highest' achieving student of the three. They've consistent got A's and A*'s. Yet, in the mocks got a U. You see what I mean? It's flawed.
If you look into it a bit more ... they aren’t purely using mock grades - it still very much relies on that calculated grade . Don’t get your hopes up too too fast .
Reply 3
Original post by gtty123
In my opinion, it isn't the best method to determine the capability of students. The way I see it, is that mocks aren't reliable. Not 'wrong' per se, but flawed. For example, let's have A, B and C (students). A cheats on their mocks and gets an A*. B revised and gained an A. C didn't revise (due to whatever reasons you want to implement) and got a U. However, C is the 'highest' achieving student of the three. They've consistent got A's and A*'s. Yet, in the mocks got a U. You see what I mean? It's flawed.

Yeh I completely get that! That’s kind of how I feel about my mocks I just thought it would make some people happier about results day.
Personally for me it makes me calmer as I put in the work and got an A in my maths mock but I want an A* but then I got two Cs in the other subjects when I’m predicted As thats hard for me because I know the exams went badly and I wasn’t well. BUT it still makes me happier knowing that’s kind of the lowest I can go if that makes sense.
And you’re right I didn’t think about the cheating aspect at all as my mocks are so strict it’s impossible to cheat, that’s for bringing that up.
Reply 4
Original post by gtty123

So? That could happen in the exams too.
No system is perfect.

Just picking holes in a plan is easy, actually coming up with a solution is difficult.
Reply 5
Original post by gtty123

My whole year group found the english papers and cheated like no tomorrow. I am quite alarmed this will be let to slide...
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
So? That could happen in the exams too.
No system is perfect.

Just picking holes in a plan is easy, actually coming up with a solution is difficult.

Cheating in exams is far more unlikely. Mocks can be found online, or have already been content gone through in class. No one can find out about what your official a level exams content are.
Reply 7
Original post by Moonbow
My whole year group found the english papers and cheated like no tomorrow. I am quite alarmed this will be let to slide...

Original post by lauren.studies
If you look into it a bit more ... they aren’t purely using mock grades - it still very much relies on that calculated grade . Don’t get your hopes up too too fast .

I’m talking about for appealing
Reply 8
Original post by Moonbow

I'm surprised that's happened.
Reply 9
The other problem is we don't know how every school regulated its exams, whether teachers marked harshly, leineintly or with the normal guidelines.

My school also increases the grade boundaries to not give us a false hope of security.

Also in my school we sit about 4 mocks a year in the exam halls and surely everyone wouldve at least got 1 grade they liked, and the exams earlier in the year wouldnt have covered anywhere near enough content.
Original post by Moonbow

Sorry didn’t mean to quote you above.
Honestly, you could make the teachers aware but I don’t know if I would. Yes it’s extremely unfair but it’s been a tough year. But I completely get the other side of it of if they get high grades because of it it would bump others down who worked hard.
Tricky one
Original post by gtty123
Cheating in exams is far more unlikely. Mocks can be found online, or have already been content gone through in class. No one can find out about what your official a level exams content are.

Your students B and C happen all the time though, that's got nothing to do with mocks, nor anything to do with cheating.

Again, just knocking the ideas is unhelpful. Ever heard the line "don't come to me with problems, come with solutions"?
Original post by Drewski
Your students B and C happen all the time though, that's got nothing to do with mocks, nor anything to do with cheating.

Again, just knocking the ideas is unhelpful. Ever heard the line "don't come to me with problems, come with solutions"?

I agree. But, I've used them as an example. I can't generalise against every single student, when I know nothing about them.

I'm not the one with solutions. I've just voiced my perspective, if anyone with more knowledge can come up with a solution, then please do so.
Original post by gtty123

exactly also numerous times my teachers have marked the mock harshly just to prepare for worst case scenario in real exam with grade boundaries. I've been told that a paper I did got a B although it deserves an A for example.or at some of my mocks I've experienced really bad family problems and couldn't do well. some other mocks a relative passed away. they should just give predicted grades and trust in teachers. so what if this years results are higher than other years...
Original post by OsmanM15
The other problem is we don't know how every school regulated its exams, whether teachers marked harshly, leineintly or with the normal guidelines.

My school also increases the grade boundaries to not give us a false hope of security.

Also in my school we sit about 4 mocks a year in the exam halls and surely everyone wouldve at least got 1 grade they liked, and the exams earlier in the year wouldnt have covered anywhere near enough content.

same my school tends to mark harshly and we do around 4 to 5 mocks. also they arent the full papers. do you know whether we will be able to pick whichever mock we did?
Does anyone know how the appeals process works? Do you tell your school and then they file it for you?
Original post by Zahra_2001
same my school tends to mark harshly and we do around 4 to 5 mocks. also they arent the full papers. do you know whether we will be able to pick whichever mock we did?

At my college, papers you get graded as a D are actually worth an A according to the real grade boundaries for the paper 😭
Original post by Schnuckiboo
At my college, papers you get graded as a D are actually worth an A according to the real grade boundaries for the paper 😭

ikr it's terrible 😞
Original post by Zahra_2001
exactly also numerous times my teachers have marked the mock harshly just to prepare for worst case scenario in real exam with grade boundaries. I've been told that a paper I did got a B although it deserves an A for example.or at some of my mocks I've experienced really bad family problems and couldn't do well. some other mocks a relative passed away. they should just give predicted grades and trust in teachers. so what if this years results are higher than other years...

I've wrote stuff that appears in the mark scheme before, but my teacher didn't give me the mark because it wasn't the 'ideal' answer. At the time I found it stupid but I thought who cares this test doesn't mean anything. My friend cheated every test just so the teachers didn't bring up bad scores at parents evening. This system feels so flawed but I understand there's only so much they can do.
Original post by headieone
I've wrote stuff that appears in the mark scheme before, but my teacher didn't give me the mark because it wasn't the 'ideal' answer. At the time I found it stupid but I thought who cares this test doesn't mean anything. My friend cheated every test just so the teachers didn't bring up bad scores at parents evening. This system feels so flawed but I understand there's only so much they can do.

Completely agree, sometimes i just can't be bothered to write all the details down because its a mock, and i know ppl in my class who've failed purposely coz they didn't like the teacher😂
The one thing the skl told me was the one thing they won't do is use the mocks, its just too unfair. Well I guess its impossible to predict anything this year.

Quick Reply

Latest