The Student Room Group

can i change my course at the beginning of uni?

so, I have a place at city university of London to study psychology, however, i want to change that to child nursing, for a levels I have received CCC and to do psychology at city is AAB which is a huge gap. And to do child nursing is BBC. I know people are going to tell me to contact the uni, but I've already applied for child nursing through clearing but, it was unsuccessful.
does this mean even if I try to change the course at the beginning of the year, will l also be rejected then?
so should I try again once uni starts or should I retake a year and apply next year.
keeping in mind it may be more competitive more and I may not get the grades to do the course
so should I stick to psych or take the risk and apply next year
also, I don't want to apply other unis bec most unis that do nursing are outside London and i want to stay in london
any opinons will b helpfull!!
Original post by Lmaosophia
so, I have a place at city university of London to study psychology, however, i want to change that to child nursing, for a levels I have received CCC and to do psychology at city is AAB which is a huge gap. And to do child nursing is BBC. I know people are going to tell me to contact the uni, but I've already applied for child nursing through clearing but, it was unsuccessful.
does this mean even if I try to change the course at the beginning of the year, will l also be rejected then?
so should I try again once uni starts or should I retake a year and apply next year.
keeping in mind it may be more competitive more and I may not get the grades to do the course
also, I don't want to apply other unis bec most unis that do nursing are outside London and i want to stay in london

Don’t start a degree if you don’t intend to finish it. If you want to do child nursing then you need to decline your offer for psychology.

if you have been rejected there’s very little possibility that the will allow a switch to nursing where places are restricted
Reply 2
As PQ has said, places on Nursing courses are restricted and are highly competitive. If there wasn’t space in clearing, it’s unlikely there’ll be the opportunity to transfer to the course once you start.

If you’re certain that you don’t want to study Psychology, then see what your other options are for Nursing courses in clearing - I know you say you’d prefer to stay in London so maybe look at other unis that offer Nursing such as Southbank, Greenwich, Middlesex, Kings etc & see if there’s any clearing vacancies there?:smile: If not there are usually multiple cohorts of Nursing a year, so maybe look into starting your Nursing degree in January or April 2021? Or, if you're concerned about your grades, opt for the September 2021 intake and undertake the Access to Nursing course in the meantime, which will give you the qualifications you need to get onto a Nursing degree:smile: there are so many options available to you, so don’t worry!

As someone who studied a degree I wasn’t entirely passionate about before doing Nursing (MH field), my advice would be, don’t do Psychology if you have doubts... not only is it time spent pursuing something you don’t necessarily want to pursue, but it’s also £9250+ a year to do so😂
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by moosec
As PQ has said, places on Nursing courses are restricted and are highly competitive. If there wasn’t space in clearing, it’s unlikely there’ll be the opportunity to transfer to the course once you start.

If you’re certain that you don’t want to study Psychology, then see what your other options are for Nursing courses in clearing - I know you say you’d prefer to stay in London so maybe look at other unis that offer Nursing such as Southbank, Greenwich, Middlesex, Kings etc & see if there’s any clearing vacancies there?:smile: If not there are usually multiple cohorts of Nursing a year, so maybe look into starting your Nursing degree in January or April 2021? Or, if you're concerned about your grades, opt for the September 2021 intake and undertake the Access to Nursing course in the meantime, which will give you the qualifications you need to get onto a Nursing degree:smile: there are so many options available to you, so don’t worry!

As someone who studied a degree I wasn’t entirely passionate about before doing Nursing (MH field), my advice would be, don’t do Psychology if you have doubts... not only is it time spent pursuing something you don’t necessarily want to pursue, but it’s also £9250+ a year to do so😂

im relieved to know that there's someone who was in a similar situation to me, you see I was very certain that I would retake a year if I didn't get into child nursing, however, as I spoke with my teachers on results day, they were saying that retaking is a risk, because it's most likely that I won't be able to change the grade however personally I don't think that's true but should I trust their professional opinion
also, could you elaborate on the Access to nursing course?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Don’t start a degree if you don’t intend to finish it. If you want to do child nursing then you need to decline your offer for psychology.

if you have been rejected there’s very little possibility that the will allow a switch to nursing where places are restricted

but im worried if i apply next year i wont be offered a place :/
Reply 5
im relieved to know that there's someone who was in a similar situation to me, you see I was very certain that I would retake a year if I didn't get into child nursing, however, as I spoke with my teachers on results day, they were saying that retaking is a risk, because it's most likely that I won't be able to change the grade however personally I don't think that's true but should I trust their professional opinion
also, could you elaborate on the Access to nursing course?

The Access to Nursing course is an Access to Higher Education Diploma which is 1 year long.
Access to HE Diplomas are designed for individuals who have either been out of education for a while, or do not have the correct qualifications to get onto their university course. It's a Level 3 qualification, so it fulfils universities' academic entry requirements, and also gives you relevant subject knowledge about the career you're planning on going into.
You might find very similar courses with slightly different names, so when looking for an Access course relevant to a Nursing degree, you'll probably either come across something like Access to HE Diploma in Nursing or Health or Allied Health Professions. Most universities will recognise these for a Nursing degree, and you'll cover stuff like human biology, health promotion, professional skills in healthcare etc which will put you in good stead for your study at degree-level :smile: some colleges will help you organise some work experience in a healthcare environment too.
If you're 19+, you can pay for it with an Advanced Learner Loan, which is similar to a student loan but for college courses. You will never have to pay it back if you go on to university, as Advanced Learner Loans get written off once you've been to uni :smile:
but im worried if i apply next year i wont be offered a place :/

If you pay an accommodation deposit and commit to pay tuition fees and then can’t change (which is likely) then you’ll be in the exact same position but a lot poorer
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
If you pay an accommodation deposit and commit to pay tuition fees and then can’t change (which is likely) then you’ll be in the exact same position but a lot poorer

thats very true but my reasoning to not do psychology is more to do with the fact i don't know what kind of job id want afterwards for it and child nursing has a stable career compared to nursing
thats very true but my reasoning to not do psychology is more to do with the fact i don't know what kind of job id want afterwards for it and child nursing has a stable career compared to nursing

Enrolling on a psychology degree isn’t going to help you get into child nursing.

Hello @Lmaosophia

Our Children's Nursing, BSc Hons prepares you for the role and responsibilities of a registered children's nurse. You'll be working in the NHS serving young people and their families in south-east London and Kent.

You will be taught by an experienced team of experts, which includes senior academics, technical officers, and practitioners with industry experience.

Hope this helps:u:
Hiii! i’m not sure whether you picked child nursing in the end or not but i thought to say that i’m in my first year of child nursing at city university and my course is just starting this month! whatever path you have taken i hope it works out for you!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending