The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Don't apply to Essex.

I studied here last year, I am now transferring. Honestly, I can't be bothered - there's too much - to type out all the false promises this place has given me and how disappointed I was.

The things that contributed most were - taking three months to conclude an incident I reported; no adequate support for mental health; unattractive campus; everything is far from campus, the only shops on campus are small and barely have anything; boring town; teaching was just ok in my experience.

All I'm saying is please visit the university before applying.

I don't want to hear people bashing me in the comments, this is just my opinion and experience.

Scroll to see replies

I think visiting before you decide to go somewhere is good advice for every university.

Where are you transferring to? Well done for making a positive move and making the transfer happen.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
I think visiting before you decide to go somewhere is good advice for every university.

Where are you transferring to? Well done for making a positive move and making the transfer happen.

yes of course, but lots of times students don't visit somewhere if they apply late or don't feel the need to. The transfer was a great decision, sorry I don't want to say where I'm going now, but ever since I received the offer I have felt a weight off my shoulders.
Original post by Anonymous
I studied here last year, I am now transferring. Honestly, I can't be bothered - there's too much - to type out all the false promises this place has given me and how disappointed I was.

The things that contributed most were - taking three months to conclude an incident I reported; no adequate support for mental health; unattractive campus; everything is far from campus, the only shops on campus are small and barely have anything; boring town; teaching was just ok in my experience.

I don't want to hear people bashing me in the comments, this is just my opinion and experience.

Thank you for sharing this. I also got an offer to study at Essex but I will got it another Uni instead. I was going to study International Relations but I just felt that their course was not interesting enough for me. And I know many people say that this Uni is great for this subject but I have read many bad reviews from this Uni especially about the thing with the town and that the campus was isolated from everything. Their entry requirements and English requirements are also pretty low. ( which can be a good or bad thing).
r u Ibz Mo?

cant bash that. thanks for sharing lol. I've already applied somewhere else, but might spread this word to others
Reply 6
Thank you for sharing this. I also got an offer to study at Essex but I will got it another Uni instead. I was going to study International Relations but I just felt that their course was not interesting enough for me. And I know many people say that this Uni is great for this subject but I have read many bad reviews from this Uni especially about the thing with the town and that the campus was isolated from everything. Their entry requirements and English requirements are also pretty low. ( which can be a good or bad thing).

The town is quite small in my opinion, it doesn't really have much. There's only one club in town for example. Of course, I'm not saying Essex was absolutely terrible and I hated every second of it, there are lots of better unis which would give you a better quality of life apart from academics. I'm saying students should really especially with this university go to the campus and the town for a feel of what it really is like.
Reply 7
r u Ibz Mo?

forgive me if i'm wrong, but didn't he dislike exeter
forgive me if i'm wrong, but didn't he dislike exeter

yh he hated it
The town is quite small in my opinion, it doesn't really have much. There's only one club in town for example. Of course, I'm not saying Essex was absolutely terrible and I hated every second of it, there are lots of better unis which would give you a better quality of life apart from academics. I'm saying students should really especially with this university go to the campus and the town for a feel of what it really is like.

You’re right. But I had not the opportunity to visit any Uni in the uk (eu student )
You’re right. But I had not the opportunity to visit any Uni in the uk (eu student )

That's fair, some unis offer virtual tours on their websites
That's fair, some unis offer virtual tours on their websites

I know but let’s face reality: on virtual tour Unis do always look better than in reality
Sounds like I dodged a bullet
Sounds like I dodged a bullet

lucky you, i was so unhappy there
Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean that you can go around bashing the uni and tell people not to apply here.

You are at uni to study not to shop for 24 hours. The campus shops have all basic stuff+ loads of other varied food outlets (incl. Noodles, fried chicken, etc) and a big Tesco store is 15 mins from campus if you need anything extra. Plus I don't get how you feel it's a boring Uni when you have a nightclub inside the campus plus top bar + SU bar, movie theatre etc to have fun (albeit closed now due to Covid).
I just feel Essex is really underrated and there is a reason why it won 2018 uni of the year.

Good luck with your new uni, though. All the best. Would you mind sharing which uni you are transferring to? 🙂
Original post by BigBlackClock
Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean that you can go around bashing the uni and tell people not to apply here.

You are at uni to study not to shop for 24 hours. The campus shops have all basic stuff+ loads of other varied food outlets (incl. Noodles, fried chicken, etc) and a big Tesco store is 15 mins from campus if you need anything extra. Plus I don't get how you feel it's a boring Uni when you have a nightclub inside the campus plus top bar + SU bar, movie theatre etc to have fun (albeit closed now due to Covid).
I just feel Essex is really underrated and there is a reason why it won 2018 uni of the year.

Good luck with your new uni, though. All the best. Would you mind sharing which uni you are transferring to? 🙂

It feels like a lot of people are just going to uni for the bloody fun of it any partying? I can't understand it myself. I am going to study. lol
Original post by BigBlackClock

I have the right to say whatever I want about a university that I paid money and spent a year in.

I said in my post that it's MY experience and MY opinion which I am free to express. You're free to create your own post praising Essex. I can bash the university however I want to. I think writing the post was quite beneficial for potential students actually, so they can have an honest bad review with valid points of it. If they want to look for good reviews then I'm sure there are plenty.

The campus shops don't have all the basic stuff - are you kidding? Hardly any vegetarian options. To me, Tesco is more than 15 minutes away by foot, and I'd rather not take the bus every two days carrying two heavy bags around. It's inconvenient and a big waste of my time when other places have stores much closer to campus.

I meant Colchester is boring, did you read? It's a gloomy town and you can't deny it.

If students want to just study then that's fine, I said in my post the teaching was good - everything else wasn't.

Then explain the three months of waiting for a conclusion on a report I made then, 'BigBlackCock'?
r u Ibz Mo?

ibz mo hates exeter not essex
Original post by nursingstudentuk
It feels like a lot of people are just going to uni for the bloody fun of it any partying? I can't understand it myself. I am going to study. lol

That's fine, you do you.
Original post by owlknightdragon
ibz mo hates exeter not essex

my bad lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending