The Student Room Group

This is the real life, deffo not fantasy - caught in a pandemic & starting university

20200909_030217.jpg

Hello, and welcome to my GYG blog! :woo:
Shoutout to laurawatt and 04MR17 for giving me inspiration for the title :smile:

This will be my first ever GYG blog :wink: I've always enjoyed reading and writing a couple of my own TSR blogs, and since I'm starting a science foundation year at university this year I thought why not :colondollar: also, it's my second attempt writing this out as last time the page became unresponsive, but I learnt my lesson and I'm now writing on a word document :lol: :rip:
I know this current pandemic might change a bit of the experience, but I'm super excited to be living in a new place, and studying something I love :excited:

About Moi :penguin:

Spoiler

Academic + Personal Goals for the upcoming year

Spoiler

Important Dates

Spoiler

VI Blog Posts

Spoiler

My other blogs :biggrin:

Spoiler

Post below if you'd like to be tagged/removed! :undefined:grouphugs

In the mean time I'll leave you all with this coronavirus parody of 'Under the Sea' :colone:

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

excellent corona meme :rofl: tag me please :smile:
Reply 2
Yes I think this is the best title yet :lol:
and ye gimme updates
Good luck Chronoscope! May I have a tag? :biggrin:
Reply 4
Meeee tooo taggggg thxxxx
Original post by absolutelysprout
excellent corona meme :rofl: tag me please :smile:

I have many memes (maybe too many) :wink: :undefined:yes
Added you to the list :penguinhug:
Original post by Sinnoh
Yes I think this is the best title yet :lol:
and ye gimme updates

I will! :undefined:thumbsup
Aw thanks! :undefined:woo It took a while but this one just seemed to be the best fit :yep:

Lyrics in these songs were considered, but they didn't quite seem to fit :no: :gah:
- it's the end of the world as we know it
- Jailhouse rock
- i want to break free

Original post by 5hyl33n
Good luck Chronoscope! May I have a tag? :biggrin:

Certainly! :undefined:danceboy :hugs:
Original post by .Dezer.
Meeee tooo taggggg thxxxx

Added onto my list! :smile: :hugs:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Oooh good luck! What science are you focusing on (ie. what are you wanting to degree after your foundation year?)
Also don't worry about age at graduation, I'm in Scotland so degree are a year longer, but plus I'm doing an integrated masters, so it's 5 years long. So although I started uni at 18, I'll be graduating age 24...
May I ask what uni you're at? It's cool if you're not sharing it here for privacy but just thought I'd ask!
Would like to be tagged please! Good luck this year
Original post by HTSAPD
Oooh good luck! What science are you focusing on (ie. what are you wanting to degree after your foundation year?)
Also don't worry about age at graduation, I'm in Scotland so degree are a year longer, but plus I'm doing an integrated masters, so it's 5 years long. So although I started uni at 18, I'll be graduating age 24...
May I ask what uni you're at? It's cool if you're not sharing it here for privacy but just thought I'd ask!

Ooh that's really cool about how Scotland is a bit different :awesome:
I'm going to be at Reading University :woo:
i won't be including the degree i'm going to be doing just yet, but there's prob gonna be some clues as to what degree I'm going to be studying later on in the year anyway, so feel free to guess what the subject might be :colondollar: :thumbsup:

Original post by MidnightSymphony
Would like to be tagged please! Good luck this year

Sure thing! Thank you :penguinhug:
:wavey: please can I have a tag?

Best of luck for this year! :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
20200905_223205.png

Yoyoyoyoyoyo :hi:
Welcome to the first update of many!:woo:

It has been a pretty busy latter part of the week, so this might be long :colondollar: :thumbsup:

- Thursday morning. I did my online enrolment it was just asking a load of questions about things like name, contact details, etc. I got confused on term time addresses because I haven't received had my actual room number confirmed yet but turned out I was just overthinking it and I just needed the accomodation which had been confirmed postcode :facepalm:

I also uploaded my passport, because we need to give this to them so we are able to pick up our student id card when we arrive on campus in a couple of weeks :excited:

Thursday afternoon, me and my Mum went to ASDA to have a buy some shopping. We also had a look round their homeware aisle, because I still need a chopping board and a cheese grater. In the end we just priced them up thinking of checking Wilkos first I did however spot a an extremely cute lion and tiger pencil case :smile: :heart:
it wouldn't have been big enough for all my stationery though :sad:

- i noticed a case of corona in the supermarket :shock: :giggle:

Spoiler

- Friday, my cousin who is fab, managed to find a couple of facebook group chats for my uni :awesome:
I don't use facebook that often so am still a bit of a newb in that department, this is despite my account being 5 years old... :hide: i joined the facebook one but but i still need to be accepted to the main one.

- i sorted through a few arts and crafts things - Idk if anyone still does/remembers the sequin art with the polyester patterns you'd follow and you'd stick the sequin pins on it? :smile:
Anyway, I found this old brittle pot at the back of the cupboard, opened it and found my green blue peter badge! :undefined:danceboy i really thought i'd lost it forever :biggrin: like that's such a "me" thing to do i.e. put it in a "safe" place :giggle:

If you don't know what a blue peter badge is :smile:

Spoiler

Friday evening i had a heavy meteor shower on my island in Animal Crossing :woo: if you wish upon a shooting star in animal crossing if you're lucky you get a load of star fragments on the beach the next day :biggrin:

- This morning me & Dad were going to visit my Gran who lives near Reading. In the morning we packed left about 10ish. Stopped off at a shop to get lunch, because we were hungry at 2. Rice krispies is not filling :nah: We got a bacon sarnie and some crisps which were so tasty :yum:

We went a shop to buy some things my gran needed, after that we drove into the town center to see if we could find any places of interest at my university, like accomodation. We saw the sports park from distance and it looks pretty cool :awesome: it all looks pretty cool so i'm definitely looking forward to when i start uni now :yeah: There are a lot of bumps in the road though (enough to give me a headache :sad: ). Luckily it didn't last long though :nah:

For tea, we went to a chip shop and got something to eat. I had chicken nuggets and chips :yum: In the end I saved the rest of my chips for tomorrow, because it was so filling :biggrin:

________

That's pretty much everything for now :yes: Still trying to work out which days to update so i'l probably try every other day if I'm not too busy.

Hope y'all having a good weekend so far :grouphugs:

Meme of the day:

20200903_000643.jpg

Thanks for reading :smile:

Tags :h:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Chronoscope
20200905_223205.png

Yoyoyoyoyoyo :hi:
Welcome to the first update of many!:woo:

It has been a pretty busy latter part of the week, so this might be long :colondollar: :thumbsup:

- Thursday morning. I did my online enrolment it was just asking a load of questions about things like name, contact details, etc. I got confused on term time addresses because I haven't received had my actual room number confirmed yet but turned out I was just overthinking it and I just needed the accomodation which had been confirmed postcode :facepalm:

I also uploaded my passport, because we need to give this to them so we are able to pick up our student id card when we arrive on campus in a couple of weeks :excited:

Thursday afternoon, me and my Mum went to ASDA to have a buy some shopping. We also had a look round their homeware aisle, because I still need a chopping board and a cheese grater. In the end we just priced them up thinking of checking Wilkos first I did however spot a an extremely cute lion and tiger pencil case :smile: :heart:
it wouldn't have been big enough for all my stationery though :sad:

- i noticed a case of corona in the supermarket :shock: :giggle:

Spoiler

- Friday, my cousin who is fab, managed to find a couple of facebook group chats for my uni :awesome:
I don't use facebook that often so am still a bit of a newb in that department, this is despite my account being 5 years old... :hide: i joined the facebook one but but i still need to be accepted to the main one.

- i sorted through a few arts and crafts things - Idk if anyone still does/remembers the sequin art with the polyester patterns you'd follow and you'd stick the sequin pins on it? :smile:
Anyway, I found this old brittle pot at the back of the cupboard, opened it and found my green blue peter badge! :undefined:danceboy
i really thought i'd lost it forever :biggrin: like that's such a "me" thing to do i.e. put it in a "safe" place :giggle:

If you don't know what a blue peter badge is :smile:

Spoiler

Friday evening i had a heavy meteor shower on my island in Animal Crossing :woo: if you wish upon a shooting star in animal crossing if you're lucky you get a load of star fragments on the beach the next day :biggrin:

- This morning me & Dad were going to visit my Gran who lives near Reading. In the morning we packed left about 10ish. Stopped off at a shop to get lunch, because we were hungry at 2. Rice krispies is not filling :nah: We got a bacon sarnie and some crisps which were so tasty :yum:

We went a shop to buy some things my gran needed, after that we drove into the town center to see if we could find any places of interest at my university, like accomodation. We saw the sports park from distance and it looks pretty cool :awesome: it all looks pretty cool so i'm definitely looking forward to when i start uni now :yeah: There are a lot of bumps in the road though (enough to give me a headache :sad: ). Luckily it didn't last long though :nah:

For tea, we went to a chip shop and got something to eat. I had chicken nuggets and chips :yum: In the end I saved the rest of my chips for tomorrow, because it was so filling :biggrin:

________

That's pretty much everything for now :yes: Still trying to work out which days to update so i'l probably try every other day if I'm not too busy.

Hope y'all having a good weekend so far :grouphugs:

Meme of the day:

20200903_000643.jpg

Thanks for reading :smile:

Tags :h:

Spoiler

I found ‘a case of corona’ too funny...:lol:

Leftover chips from the chip shop are the best thing :biggrin:
Reply 12
Probably a bit late to mention this now but a big chopping board is so much nicer to use.
Seemed like a fun week :yy:
Original post by Becca216
I found ‘a case of corona’ too funny...:lol:

Leftover chips from the chip shop are the best thing :biggrin:

They are! :yum: :undefined:thumbsup
Original post by Sinnoh
Probably a bit late to mention this now but a big chopping board is so much nicer to use.
Seemed like a fun week :yy:

Ooh thanks! I'll bear that in mind :yes:
(It still hasn't been bought yet though :nah: )
(edited 3 years ago)
i have started using facebook a lot more since i got my offer from my uni too :rofl: can't say i still like it very much though :giggle:
chip shop food is always delicious :yep:
20200908_233407.png

Sunday (06/09/2020)

I went into a shop and bought a map for uni - although I'll likely be using google maps anyway, its nice to have a physical map even if idk how to read it read it yet...
Me and my Dad travelled back home from my Gran's
We both had Maccies for lunch because we had McD's vouchers :yum:
I finished the Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins :love: I won't say too much about it but the ending slightly suprised me :awesome:

Monday (07/09/2020)

I successfully completed a mandatory "how to study/study skills" course. It took a few hours, but it was actually quite informative and dare I say interesting and actually enjoyable :yep: the content was things like how to communicate with people, referencing and citations, how Blackboard and the Halls app works, and the difference between seminars/letcturers/tutorials etc.

Tuesday (08/09/2020)

Woke up to one of my parents being very stressed af because apparently they'd been waiting for my Nan's carer to call back, but instead of the carer it was an fraudster pretending to work for Amazon :shock: They guessed it was a scam at the start but luckily hung up as they person on the other end were starting to become :angry: . Normally parent would not answer weird numbers anyway but I think they were just expecting it to be the carer :hmmmm: I believe we'll be reporting that number tomorrow :sadnod:

Mid-morning had some help taking my photo for my student campus card :excited: It took ages to upload to the uni system, because it kept declining. I worked out this was because the file turned out to actually be too big :facepalm: Therefore I ended up downloading a passport photo app for my phone, which sorted the issue :yep:

i unpacked from my weekend visit to my gram
Me and my parents watched Eat Well for Less which was enjoyable :yes: :ahee:
I saw on the news that gatherings of 6+ people is banned, I haven't met really met up with anyone since March, so I'm less sure how this will affect next week yet :dontknow:

Until the next update, that's Chrono over and out :moon:

Meme of the day

Spoiler

Tags!!!!!!! :dancing:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
i have started using facebook a lot more since i got my offer from my uni too :rofl: can't say i still like it very much though :giggle:
chip shop food is always delicious :yep:

Ahhh i don't blame you still not being too keen on FB :nah: :hugs:
Back when I was in secondary school one of my friends actually set the account up for me, but I just use the Messenger bit and not the actual social media bit :yep: :redface: :redface:
18/09/2020

:undefined:wavey wow today has been busy, really stressful but I'm glad to say packing is mission completo! :yeah: Below is evidence of packing - there is more bags and a couple more boxes than the picture shows, my duvet and throw also takes up a chunk of space too I think :biggrin: My room definitely feels more a bare except my books :sadnod::colondollar:

20200917_220353.jpg

20200918_020214.jpg

I'm currently typing this before sleeping cos I'm past the stage of being tired even though i need to be up super early tomorrow, sonI decided to put on some white noise which is helping :awesome:

- Earlier today I went shopping to get a couple more of those huge trolley bags from a shop in town, I went with my Mum to collect her new phone - her predecessor Windows phone for some reason removed the app store so the phone was barely functional anymore. The carphone warehouse guy set the phone up whilst I browsed the printers and ipads (very tempting btw).

- Around midday I phoned the bank as I wasn't sure how much the max amount was for doing online transactions/debit card. The bank person seemed heloful enough especially since I'm a nervous wreck on the phone.

-The afternoon was spent doing more packing. I have mentioned a few times on a few spider themed threads around TSR, that for a while above my headboard in the upper corner of my room, there has been this spider which hasn't moved for like ages. Anyway, my Dad inspected it today and it's now a SPIDERS NEST *faints* :afraid: which also explains why there's 3 in there now :yikes:

- In the evening I set up my mum's phone which was easy enough, just need to help her learn how to use it now. I also sorted cutlery - we had a real problem finding cutlery that wasn't bendy - one set had to be returned to ASDA, becuase I swear if you were going to cut something like chicken with those knife and forks in that set, the fork would have snapped. Another more study set was found whilst shopping though :yep: I spoke to a couple of friends on Messenger which was really nice, and also put a few bits and pieces from bedroom into a charity bag to donate.

- I also found out I'm on a first floor for my accomodation, which is cool, so at least it'll mean it shouldn't take too long to load to load/unload luggage :smile: :excited:

- Dog is also going into kennels tomorrow, (will miss her so much) as me + parents are travelling tomorrow, and staying in hotel nearby as we decided this would be easier, rather than moving in on Saturday :yep:

Right me needs sleep :colondollar: :sleep:
I hope everyone's had a good day! :h:

Ps. I think I'm going to stick to DD/MM type blog format for now, and sort the titles out later on :wink:

Tags :smile: :penguinhug:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
there's a spiders nest in your room?! i could not sleep there omg :eek:
hope moving in goes well :hugs:
there's a spiders nest in your room?! i could not sleep there omg :eek:
hope moving in goes well :hugs:

Apparently :afraid: :lol: Dad said he'd move it but I think he's going to leave them where they are, as they don't seem to be going anywhere as they are "only little" :erm:
Thank you :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending