The Student Room Group

Help losing weight

So I just found out my BMI says I'm very overweight like 98th centile overweight like 20 pounds away from being 200 type of overweight 😭😭😭 and like I'm soooooooooooooo upset. My weight goal for now is 69kg by the end of the year can y'all give me tips on how to reduce my weight specifically in the beginning of sixth form cuz I stress eat alot and I know year 12 is gonna be stressful and I really don't want to hit that 200 IBS mark just cuz I've been stress eating

Scroll to see replies

Hey don't stress!! Start of simple by cutting out junk food and drinking at least 2L of water a day. You can do exercise by taking walks too
Honestly, try to get 10-15k steps a day, even if it means jogging on the spot listening to a podcast for revision! Drink 2l water as said above, and look at what you’re eating a bit. You don’t need to go to all ends to lose weight, promise! Just up your protein and fibre - fibre keeps you full, and protein uses more calories to process by the body as well as helping muscle repair etc.

If you feel the need to stress eat, have some super low calorie stuff to hand that satisfies the urge to eat. For me, it’s cucumber 😂 I get the crunch without necking a whole bag of kettle chips lol - and a Diet Coke or other low cal fizzy pop helps satisfy the sweet craving bit in your brain - but don’t have too much 💛
Try and find different ways to reduce stress - going for a walk (also burns calories so win-win), art, listening to music, reading, etc

Find healthier snack options: cucumber, carrot sticks, fruit, low cal popcorn instead of crisps and chocolate. Water, squash, flavoured water (or even diet coke) instead of coke.

Introduce some exercise into your day. Walk where you can rather than getting a lift or going by bus. Work out in front of the TV sometimes rather than just sitting there - I like the app Workout Women, it has lots of beginners exercises.

I was about 200lbs at your age, almost 250lbs by the time I left sixth form. Finally did something about it when I started uni and I’m now below 150lbs. Weight loss doesn’t have to be “all or nothing” (you can still have a treat sometimes!) and is often slow, but you will get there eventually!
Reply 4
A healthy rate of weight loss is 1-2lbs/ 0.5-1kg a week, so the end of the year is doable. However, make the weight loss your target and not the timescale as you may have periods when you plateau.

Look online to calculate what calories you need to eat to be in a deficit, though exercise will also burn off calories; just simple things like extra walking, or step-ups on stairs. Don't skimp on meals or cut out whole food groups, but do reduce sugary and overly-processed items. Go for brown, wholemeal and wholegrain if you have bread, pasta and rice. If you cook from scratch, you know what's going in it! And theres nothing wrong with an occasional treat. All the best!
Reply 5
Reply 6
Find a motivation for your studies other than comfort food. I used to stress eat a lot but now I don’t and occasionally eat nuts or raisins, etc when I’m feeling peckish
Reply 7
Original post by Irresponsiblee
So I just found out my BMI says I'm very overweight like 98th centile overweight like 20 pounds away from being 200 type of overweight 😭😭😭 and like I'm soooooooooooooo upset. My weight goal for now is 69kg by the end of the year can y'all give me tips on how to reduce my weight specifically in the beginning of sixth form cuz I stress eat alot and I know year 12 is gonna be stressful and I really don't want to hit that 200 IBS mark just cuz I've been stress eating

Simple: Stop overeating. i know....not the answer you wanted is it?
Reply 8
Original post by Desideri
Try and find different ways to reduce stress - going for a walk (also burns calories so win-win), art, listening to music, reading, etc

Find healthier snack options: cucumber, carrot sticks, fruit, low cal popcorn instead of crisps and chocolate. Water, squash, flavoured water (or even diet coke) instead of coke.

Introduce some exercise into your day. Walk where you can rather than getting a lift or going by bus. Work out in front of the TV sometimes rather than just sitting there - I like the app Workout Women, it has lots of beginners exercises.

I was about 200lbs at your age, almost 250lbs by the time I left sixth form. Finally did something about it when I started uni and I’m now below 150lbs. Weight loss doesn’t have to be “all or nothing” (you can still have a treat sometimes!) and is often slow, but you will get there eventually!

1 hour walk burns about 250 cal's. About 1 bar of chocolate. or 5 biscuits....Let that sink in

90% diet..10% exercise. I see a lot of fat joggers/bikers around. They think "because I exercise i can eat what i want...!

It's simple. Change your eating habits.
No snacks...Not even "healthy ones"
2 meals a day.
No booze or max once a week,
etc...
Original post by jim9909
1 hour walk burns about 250 cal's. About 1 bar of chocolate. or 5 biscuits....Let that sink in

90% diet..10% exercise. I see a lot of fat joggers/bikers around. They think "because I exercise i can eat what i want...!

2 meals a day.
etc...

I don’t need your patronising “advice”. As written in the post you just quoted, I‘ve lost over 100lbs.

While eating 3 meals a day and the occasional healthy snack, just ensuring I maintained a calorie deficit.
Reply 10
Original post by Desideri
I don’t need your patronising “advice”. As written in the post you just quoted, I‘ve lost over 100lbs.

While eating 3 meals a day and the occasional healthy snack, just ensuring I maintained a calorie deficit.

LOL100lbs....My 600lb life??
Reply 11
Then to lose 100lb without "eating less" you were OBESE!
it's easy for obese people to drop 100lb....they simply have to cut down form 10,000 cal's day to 7,000.

Enjoy
Original post by jim9909
it's easy for obese people to drop 100lb....they simply have to cut down form 10,000 cal's day to 7,000.

Enjoy

I know that I was obese. I just said I weighed 250lbs at 18. You haven’t discovered some great secret :biggrin:

And I did eat less, but that doesn’t have to mean eating almost nothing. I went down to around 1700kcal and then at various times to 1200-1500. Still managed to fit in some cronchy carrot stick snacks.

Original post by jim9909

But you’re clearly just on here to laugh at people, not to be helpful :rolleyes:
Original post by jim9909

Enjoy

Original post by jim9909

Original post by jim9909

2 meals a day.
etc...

Chill 🧊
bmi isn’t really a good way of measuring weight because it doesn’t take into account things like muscle in your body, so just be careful with that :smile: also for losing weight, remember to do weekly exercise even if it is just going for walks. please please please don’t skip meals - weight loss is safer and easier if you eat 3 meals a day (try not to eat late at night) but maybe cut portion sizes and eat more nutritional and filling food. hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Irresponsiblee

Hey, just make sure that if you're cutting calories, you don't eat below 1200 a day. That can damage your metabolism so bad and nobody should be eating less than that amount apart from a young child!

The general rule for losing weight is burning more calories than you put into your body. Eating salad/cucumber/fruits etc are a good to eat as they contain few calories so you can eat a lot which fills you up as well. Also, include more protein in your diet. Fish/eggs/meat etc are amazing for you, help you stay full for longer and help keep you lean. That being said, don't completely cut out the occasional treat! Eating chocolate cake etc is absolutely fine as long as you aren't overeating it. Eating stuff like this gives you satisfaction so you don't feel like you have to binge later from trying to hold back the temptation.

Try drinking at least 2L of water a day and getting enough sleep. I know everyone says this but how many times do we actually pay attention to it and do it? Also, try green tea! Most people don't like it haha but it's amazing for you and I drink it everyday.
As for exercise, don't overdo it! Yes, exercise is brilliant for burning calories but you don't want to hurt yourself and not be able to workout for a couple weeks.
The exercises I would recommend would be skipping! It's fun, it burns soooo many calories and it will tone your legs. I normally did 1000 every couple days.
Also, start weightlifting! I know this sounds scary because when you think weights you think of big bulky hulk looking men but actually weights are incredible for women as they tone us up and make us lean. It's VERY HARD for us to bulk so lifting a couple dumbbells WILL NOT make you bulky/muscly.
I would recommend just starting by learning the moves off Youtube (i.e. lunges with weights/squats with weights etc) and then adding in the weights. I have a pair of 5kg dumbbells but I would recommend starting off with some 4kg ones. I was so doubtful about using weights but now they're never out of my routines! There's some brilliant videos on Youtube about them which you should totally check out!
Also, don't just weigh yourself, take progress pictures! These are an amazing way for comparing and seeing changes in your body. Don't be disheartened if you don't see changes straight away, sometimes it can take up to a couple weeks to really see some changes. Just keep going!

Feel free to private message me if you need some more advice!

Hope this helps :smile: xx
Original post by KateUpdate
Hey, just make sure that if you're cutting calories, you don't eat below 1200 a day. That can damage your metabolism so bad and nobody should be eating less than that amount apart from a young child!

The general rule for losing weight is burning more calories than you put into your body. Eating salad/cucumber/fruits etc are a good to eat as they contain few calories so you can eat a lot which fills you up as well. Also, include more protein in your diet. Fish/eggs/meat etc are amazing for you, help you stay full for longer and help keep you lean. That being said, don't completely cut out the occasional treat! Eating chocolate cake etc is absolutely fine as long as you aren't overeating it. Eating stuff like this gives you satisfaction so you don't feel like you have to binge later from trying to hold back the temptation.

Try drinking at least 2L of water a day and getting enough sleep. I know everyone says this but how many times do we actually pay attention to it and do it? Also, try green tea! Most people don't like it haha but it's amazing for you and I drink it everyday.
As for exercise, don't overdo it! Yes, exercise is brilliant for burning calories but you don't want to hurt yourself and not be able to workout for a couple weeks.
The exercises I would recommend would be skipping! It's fun, it burns soooo many calories and it will tone your legs. I normally did 1000 every couple days.
Also, start weightlifting! I know this sounds scary because when you think weights you think of big bulky hulk looking men but actually weights are incredible for women as they tone us up and make us lean. It's VERY HARD for us to bulk so lifting a couple dumbbells WILL NOT make you bulky/muscly.
I would recommend just starting by learning the moves off Youtube (i.e. lunges with weights/squats with weights etc) and then adding in the weights. I have a pair of 5kg dumbbells but I would recommend starting off with some 4kg ones. I was so doubtful about using weights but now they're never out of my routines! There's some brilliant videos on Youtube about them which you should totally check out!
Also, don't just weigh yourself, take progress pictures! These are an amazing way for comparing and seeing changes in your body. Don't be disheartened if you don't see changes straight away, sometimes it can take up to a couple weeks to really see some changes. Just keep going!

Feel free to private message me if you need some more advice!

Hope this helps :smile: xx

You can't really damage your metabolism and eating below 1200 kcal would be a fine 500kcal deficit for some people, you can't make a generalization like that. Skipping also won't really tone your legs as it is not the best inducer of hypertrophy and you can't spot reduce fat. Also what are the benefits of green tea?
Other than that I agree with everything else you said.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
You can't really damage your metabolism and eating below 1200 kcal would be a fine 500kcal deficit for some people, you can't make a generalization like that. Skipping also won't really tone your legs as it is not the best inducer of hypertrophy and you can't spot reduce fat. Also what are the benefits of green tea?
Other than that I agree with everything else you said.

Hi, I have damaged my metabolism before and had to see a nutritionist to build it back up.
You can eat below 1200 calories but seeing as she is only Year 12 I thought it would be best that she didn't unless really needed to. In that case, it's always better to consult a doctor before drastically decreasing calories like that anyway.
As for spot reducing fat, yes, I know that is basically a myth but I mentioned my legs being more toned as it was one of the biggest things I noticed about my body as I started to skip and run more. I didn't mean that it was the only thing that changed, maybe I should have been more specific with that.
As for green tea, it is an excellent source of antioxidants (one of the best tea's for it) and not to mention another good way to get water into the body! I also find that green tea tends to destress me, and there are a lot of claims about that being an effect of green tea. As she is doing A Levels I thought that it would just be a small thing to help with the stress as it did for me. Especially as stress can often lead to weight gain. As well as this, it is said to help promote fat loss. Obviously, that is still debateable until proper research has been carried out but you can't really go wrong by drinking it anyways.
Hope this helped clear things up :smile:
Easiest way to lose weight is by swapping food for caffeine.

I lost a few stone by having a sugar free red bull for breakfast for a couple of months. You will feel a bit nauseous, and maybe a tad faint. But this supplies you with energy to work/concentrate. Even just a black coffee when you feel hungry is good.

This is by no means healthy, and is certainly bad for you in the long run, but if you want to lose weight fast, you can't beat not eating.
Original post by Native087
Easiest way to lose weight is by swapping food for caffeine.

I lost a few stone by having a sugar free red bull for breakfast for a couple of months. You will feel a bit nauseous, and maybe a tad faint. But this supplies you with energy to work/concentrate. Even just a black coffee when you feel hungry is good.

This is by no means healthy, and is certainly bad for you in the long run, but if you want to lose weight fast, you can't beat not eating.

hey! :smile: I don't mean to be rude, and you have put about it being bad for you in the long run but I'd just like to highlight a couple things that I don't know if you're aware of.

Yes, you're right, caffeine is an amazing way to reduce hunger and stop you from eating, therefore losing weight fast. However, this type of dieting is discouraged for a reason.
If you starve your body, your body will get a shock and enter what is called 'starvation mode'. This means that your metabolism slows down to compensate for the lack of energy coming in. Consequently, when you start eating again, your body will store this food as fat causing you to gain weight and in a lot of cases, you end up with more weight than you started! This is because your body is used to not being fed and doesn't know if it will be fed again, causing it to store the food to ensure survival. It also happens because your metabolism has slowed down to the point that it can't keep up with the food coming in. You might be just chilling in a coffee shop but for all your body knows, you're out in the jungle starving to death so it is taking the steps it thinks is required.

Eating very low-calorie diets for extended amounts of time puts you at risk for malnutrition because it makes it very difficult for you to obtain all the vitamins and minerals through food alone. Additionally, your metabolism drops way down to conserve energy, and your body breaks down valuable muscles and organs in a futile effort to maintain adequate fuel for your brain.

Starving leaves so much uncertainty because first you'll lose weight quickly, then slowly, then you might put some back on just by eating small amounts etc so it's better to lose it over a long period of time where you don't have to worry about all of that. Also, the fact that you're mentioning about feeling faint and sick is not good!

You seem very aware that it isn't good for you, and at the end of the day it is your body and your decision. I just thought I'd bring this to light as I myself have been down that path a few years ago and it really did not work out for me at all.

Quick Reply

Latest