The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Want to apply for Cambridge MASt maths but won’t have unit prerequisites

I go to a decent Russell group university for maths (but not COWI), and I’ve considered applying to cambridge for the part iii master’s for next year. I’ve looked through the module choices and there are many that seem really interesting and that I’d be keen on doing.

The problem is that with the limited modules available for me at my uni and also with the lack of depth in some modules I’ve taken I don’t think I’d meet the suitable prerequisites in order to take the modules I’m interested at cambridge (the same is also true for the msc mathematical sciences at oxford).

Is there any point in me making an application, even though I don’t think my undergrad degree modules would adequately prepare me for either cambridge or oxford? Maybe I could mention on my personal statement the modules i’m interested in and say something like “I‘m really interested in *this module* and will self-teach the prerequisites to make sure I’m ready”?

Or would they not be impressed by the fact I’ve not covered the required knowledge in my undergrad modules?
Original post by Theoverrated
I go to a decent Russell group university for maths (but not COWI), and I’ve considered applying to cambridge for the part iii master’s for next year. I’ve looked through the module choices and there are many that seem really interesting and that I’d be keen on doing.

The problem is that with the limited modules available for me at my uni and also with the lack of depth in some modules I’ve taken I don’t think I’d meet the suitable prerequisites in order to take the modules I’m interested at cambridge (the same is also true for the msc mathematical sciences at oxford).

Is there any point in me making an application, even though I don’t think my undergrad degree modules would adequately prepare me for either cambridge or oxford? Maybe I could mention on my personal statement the modules i’m interested in and say something like “I‘m really interested in *this module* and will self-teach the prerequisites to make sure I’m ready”?

Or would they not be impressed by the fact I’ve not covered the required knowledge in my undergrad modules?

Contact them and ask, but tbh I doubt they would accept 'self-teaching' as an adequate foundation if they already expect students to have pre-requisite knowledge from previous education.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending