The Student Room Group

Grade and feedback

I've seen my results that was revised by the board. It has appeared as transfer to refer part-time .

I had a few queries about an essay that was marked, and I feel has impacted my progression grade. I read my feedback from my first attempt and not understood that in the comment saying I need to “identify which piece of research I am discussing”

I feel this was not a clear statement from the first attempt feedback. The feedback highlighted on the second attempt saying “unfortunately this is not research”

Throughout the essay stated "Well done. Your writing demonstrates a range of relevant evidence which is of high quality. You have demonstrated safe evidence-based practice with evidence of wide reading on the topic area."
This changed my grade from a D marking to an E due to cognition due to the research. Unfortunately this has put a hold on my progression until September 2021 and I’m now having to resit two modules in October. I just felt if this was highlighted on the first attempt I wouldn’t of been held back a year. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar? I am going ahead with an appeal as I did have extenuating circumstances and was on placement in the hospital at the time. However, been told that if the appeal is upheld I still will have to wait until next September to finish my last year.
Original post by Anonymous
I've seen my results that was revised by the board. It has appeared as transfer to refer part-time .

I had a few queries about an essay that was marked, and I feel has impacted my progression grade. I read my feedback from my first attempt and not understood that in the comment saying I need to “identify which piece of research I am discussing”

I feel this was not a clear statement from the first attempt feedback. The feedback highlighted on the second attempt saying “unfortunately this is not research”

Throughout the essay stated "Well done. Your writing demonstrates a range of relevant evidence which is of high quality. You have demonstrated safe evidence-based practice with evidence of wide reading on the topic area."
This changed my grade from a D marking to an E due to cognition due to the research. Unfortunately this has put a hold on my progression until September 2021 and I’m now having to resit two modules in October. I just felt if this was highlighted on the first attempt I wouldn’t of been held back a year. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar? I am going ahead with an appeal as I did have extenuating circumstances and was on placement in the hospital at the time. However, been told that if the appeal is upheld I still will have to wait until next September to finish my last year.

If you didn't understand your feedback from your first attempt, why didn't you discuss it with the marker/lecturer/your personal tutor for clarification?

What exactly 'wasn't research' that they are referring to? Were you referencing a blog post, news article or something similar?
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you didn't understand your feedback from your first attempt, why didn't you discuss it with the marker/lecturer/your personal tutor for clarification?

What exactly 'wasn't research' that they are referring to? Were you referencing a blog post, news article

In the feedback, the marker stated that I “need to identify which piece of research you are discussing”. My understanding of this comment was that I had not been clear in the discussion about the review paper and the research carried out within the first attempt. During my 2nd submission I ensured that I was clear about what I was discussing along with all other amendments.
Reply 3

What exactly 'wasn't research' that they are referring to? Were you referencing a blog post, news article

In the feedback, the marker stated that I “need to identify which piece of research you are discussing”. My understanding of this comment was that I had not been clear in the discussion about the review paper and the research carried out within the first attempt. During my 2nd submission I ensured that I was clear about what I was discussing along with all other amendments.
Reply 4
I know it was my lack of understanding of the feedback. At the time I was on full time placement and had a number of personal events out of my control.

I used a Review published by the Scottish Government containing research carried out by an independent body with a view to changing legislation in relation to the inclusion of Adults with Learning Disabilities, Autistic Spectrum Disorders and Older Adults under current legislation.

With now of the understanding it wasn’t research and not the direct source.
Original post by Anonymous
I know it was my lack of understanding of the feedback. At the time I was on full time placement and had a number of personal events out of my control.

I used a Review published by the Scottish Government containing research carried out by an independent body with a view to changing legislation in relation to the inclusion of Adults with Learning Disabilities, Autistic Spectrum Disorders and Older Adults under current legislation.

With now of the understanding it wasn’t research and not the direct source.

Oh yes, that is an issue. You used one secondary source to talk about some research, which is never a good option - mainly because the review paper could be interpreting the studies in ways that aren't necessarily correct, nor will they be described in enough detail to really critique them.

I suggest speaking to your student union and student support about what to do next re: progression.
Reply 6
Oh yes, that is an issue. You used one secondary source to talk about some research, which is never a good option - mainly because the review paper could be interpreting the studies in ways that aren't necessarily correct, nor will they be described in enough detail to really critique them.

I suggest speaking to your student union and student support about what to do next re: progression.

Thank you, I have put in an appeal. However, my university lecturer has said it would not make any difference to the outcome. I still went ahead knowing the outcome won’t be what my heart desires. I felt I needed to express my concerns and be heard. So I will continue to study and make the use of my time over the next 12 months to continue to learn in hospital as a Healthcare. Many Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending