The Student Room Group

So strange......I switched from the UK to the Netherlands...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Realitysreflexx
The people of the UK don't seem to take it too seriously either even after 40K deaths, but let's be real (guessing) 50% of those where in care homes. Those under 50 have such a tiny chance of dying except for anecdotal occurrences of usually lower income people already in poor health due to the cycle of lack of education and low pay sector seen around the world and sadly still obvious in developed economies.

I agreed to a large extent. My fear is that now noone is taking it seriously, the normos are up next.

And even if we don't die we seem to forget that quite a few people really struggle to recover.
Original post by ByEeek
I agreed to a large extent. My fear is that now noone is taking it seriously, the normos are up next.

And even if we don't die we seem to forget that quite a few people really struggle to recover.

I guess the game of Russian roulette is you never know who will have a rough go of it, could be for example me...or really anyone you never do know. So i totally understand the restrictions and watching of hospital capacity. But i do just find it fascinating that countries like Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland are effected but simply not destroyed like UK, Spain, France....Italy (though they seem to really have improved).....these places aren't very far from eachother and the differences are stunning.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I guess the game of Russian roulette is you never know who will have a rough go of it, could be for example me...or really anyone you never do know. So i totally understand the restrictions and watching of hospital capacity. But i do just find it fascinating that countries like Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland are effected but simply not destroyed like UK, Spain, France....Italy (though they seem to really have improved).....these places aren't very far from eachother and the differences are stunning.

True. But what are societies like? Conformant? Travelling? Etc etc?
Reply 23
Original post by ByEeek
If a terrorist set ofg a bomb in Sweeden and killed 5800 people it would be seen as the world's biggest terror attack and world war three would be well in progress by now.

Yet you dismiss it as not a blood bath. How many people must die before you take it seriously?

Well it wouldnt now would it, do try not to compare the incomparable. A virus not being the same as a bomb.
Err because it isnt a blood bath :lol: Unless you think the season flu is also a bloodbath? :lol:
Original post by Napp
Well it wouldnt now would it, do try not to compare the incomparable. A virus not being the same as a bomb.
Err because it isnt a blood bath :lol: Unless you think the season flu is also a bloodbath? :lol:

Another poster suggested covid wasn't a blood bath. Perhaps it doesn't involve guts everywhere but the number of deaths make it bigger than any natural disaster or terrorist incident the West has suffered in many many years.
Original post by ByEeek
Another poster suggested covid wasn't a blood bath. Perhaps it doesn't involve guts everywhere but the number of deaths make it bigger than any natural disaster or terrorist incident the West has suffered in many many years.

Try comparing it to other pandemics.
Original post by DiddyDec
Try comparing it to other pandemics.

I don't think you can yet as we're just getting started.

My point though was that if this had been a terror attack that had killed 40,000 people in one hit, there probably wouldn't be quite so much complacency.
Original post by ByEeek
I don't think you can yet as we're just getting started.

My point though was that if this had been a terror attack that had killed 40,000 people in one hit, there probably wouldn't be quite so much complacency.

It wasn't one hit, it has been over the course of nearly 9 months.
It wasn't one hit, it has been over the course of nearly 9 months.

Does it matter? Had covid not been around, 42000 Brits would still be living.
Original post by ByEeek
Does it matter? Had covid not been around, 42000 Brits would still be living.

It does matter :h:
It does matter :h:

So how many thousand deaths must there be before it does matter then?
Original post by ByEeek
So how many thousand deaths must there be before it does matter then?

0.5% of the population.
0.5% of the population.

Gosh. So Covid is only a big deal if 300,000 people die? Gosh. So that's your parents and elderly relatives stuffed then!
Original post by ByEeek
Gosh. So Covid is only a big deal if 300,000 people die? Gosh. So that's your parents and elderly relatives stuffed then!

Less old people in society isn't a bad thing.

Be careful what you wish for. It depresses me that the young must repeatedly make thecsame mistakes for want of a bit less ignorance.

I take it you don't care much for your parents or grandparents? That's rather sad. I miss my nan.
Original post by ByEeek
Be careful what you wish for. It depresses me that the young must repeatedly make thecsame mistakes for want of a bit less ignorance.

It is just cold hard logic, less people in general would be better but you have to start somewhere and old people is the logical start.

My thing is, we will be old fast enough so... Yeah. 😂
Reply 37
Original post by ByEeek

Again, you really cant compare the two.. i mean theres literally just nothing comparable between them making this beyond a faulty analysis.
Although if we do look at natural disasters and wars they regularly kill tens of thousands making this 5000 death toll a drop in the ocean.
It is just cold hard logic, less people in general would be better but you have to start somewhere and old people is the logical start.

Yep. Sounds logical until you become old. And when you are old your body will tell a different story to your mind.

What is being old?
https://youtu.be/i78aasHFC-E
Original post by ByEeek
Yep. Sounds logical until you become old. And when you are old your body will tell a different story to your mind.

What is being old?
https://youtu.be/i78aasHFC-E

I doubt I will make it to become old :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending