The Student Room Group

Laptop for university

Hi, so I am starting university and I need a new laptop. My budget is of £0 - £ 500 (the cheaper the better). I would like a laptop that will allow me to carry out my university work (for business management) and allow me to play some games like ck3 or maybe gta5 from time to time. I have been browsing for some days but can't find anything. Does anyone know any good laptop that may suit me? Also what's the best website to buy a laptop from?

All help is much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

I dont think you will find a new laptop with beefy enough specs thats also light enough to carry around for under £500
Reply 2
I really don't want to give up gaming since it helps me relax and get rid of stress. As for my budget, I could spend max £600.
Reply 3
Original post by mockbubbles
I dont think you will find a new laptop with beefy enough specs thats also light enough to carry around for under £500

I don't mind if the laptop is a bit heavy
The Acer Nitro is a good deal for £629
Reply 6
Thanks, the Acer Nitro 5 looks nice, I will do some research and consider buying.
Once again, thanks everyone.
Reply 7
Original post by Theking997
Hi, so I am starting university and I need a new laptop. My budget is of £0 - £ 500 (the cheaper the better). I would like a laptop that will allow me to carry out my university work (for business management) and allow me to play some games like ck3 or maybe gta5 from time to time. I have been browsing for some days but can't find anything. Does anyone know any good laptop that may suit me? Also what's the best website to buy a laptop from?

I highly suggest you keep an eye on hotukdeals as well as browse lenovo's range because there are some great deals. For example, I found my sister an Ideapad 5i (w/ student discount and without windows 10 - can be had for less than £5 depending on your ethical standpoint) at £420 with an i5-1035g1 and an MX330 (performs similar to gtx 950m) which easily takes GTA at medium settings.
I advise you to play the time game if your budget conscious and don't need the laptop right NOW. Otherwise, check lenovo's thin and light range and search up the lenovo ideapad 5i specifically and the other models in the thin and light.

Please don't blow your £500 on intel CPU's because at this price range (unless you find a deal like mine) they suck for gaming. Ryzen 3000 or 4000 series laptop chips including the low-end can take GTA and most other games decently
Reply 8

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-ideapad-5-15-amd-ryzen-7-4700u-8gb-ram-512ssd-radeon-graphics-at-lenovo-3546235

The above shows the ideapad 5 with a ryzen 4700u. This thing is beastly and can easily do GTA and ck3, likely on very high settings at 60+fps. I *cannot* understate how amazing the ryzen 4000 series is for gaming an productivity. I know I sound like a sale rep at this point but trust me, their value is unmatched.
I really don't want to give up gaming since it helps me relax and get rid of stress.

To clarify, you don't want to give up gaming which implies you already game. So what device do you use now, and why do you need another laptop to game on?
Original post by Da14a
I *cannot* understate how amazing the ryzen 4000 series is for gaming

Assuming you can get hold of a Ryzen based machine, this is somewhat true. However 11th gen Intel is looking quite promising from a casual gaming perspective. Of course anything more than the most casual gaming is better served with a dedicated GPU, at which point the CPU you have doesn't really matter.

Original post by Da14a
without windows 10 - can be had for less than £5 depending on your ethical standpoint

Worth noting, this is more than an ethical discussion. Some cheap Windows keys are the result of fraudulent transactions, and there's no way to actually tell when you buy. Although for laptops this shouldn't be an issue most of the time, since new and used laptops will all come with Windows installed and the licence is often tied to the hardware rather than a product key. Outside custom machines and used machines sold without storage, I don't think I've ever seen a laptop sold without a copy of Windows.
Reply 11
Original post by AcseI
Assuming you can get hold of a Ryzen based machine, this is somewhat true. However 11th gen Intel is looking quite promising from a casual gaming perspective. Of course anything more than the most casual gaming is better served with a dedicated GPU, at which point the CPU you have doesn't really matter.

Worth noting, this is more than an ethical discussion. Some cheap Windows keys are the result of fraudulent transactions, and there's no way to actually tell when you buy. Although for laptops this shouldn't be an issue most of the time, since new and used laptops will all come with Windows installed and the licence is often tied to the hardware rather than a product key. Outside custom machines and used machines sold without storage, I don't think I've ever seen a laptop sold without a copy of Windows.

I agree with your points.
In regards of laptops being sold with no OS, Lenovo actually stopped this being an option you could choose (which, if chosen would deduct £80-£90). I believe they did this because the price deduction for windows 10 far outweighed the cost of such a large firm buying probably millions of windows licenses per year. I guess even the big boys can make frankly stupid mistakes.
Also, finally, Intel is pulling their head out from the ground and providing chips which can at least compete very evenly with ryzen! It was long coming and I'm afraid AMD will turn into another intel if given enough space and time.
So I looked at the Acer Nitro 5 and many reviews say that the fan noise is too loud and I fear that may disturb some students if I have to use it in my university.
Original post by Da14a
I highly suggest you keep an eye on hotukdeals as well as browse lenovo's range because there are some great deals. For example, I found my sister an Ideapad 5i (w/ student discount and without windows 10 - can be had for less than £5 depending on your ethical standpoint) at £420 with an i5-1035g1 and an MX330 (performs similar to gtx 950m) which easily takes GTA at medium settings.
I advise you to play the time game if your budget conscious and don't need the laptop right NOW. Otherwise, check lenovo's thin and light range and search up the lenovo ideapad 5i specifically and the other models in the thin and light.

Please don't blow your £500 on intel CPU's because at this price range (unless you find a deal like mine) they suck for gaming. Ryzen 3000 or 4000 series laptop chips including the low-end can take GTA and most other games decently

Unfortunately, I don't have much time, my university starts the 5th of October.

Original post by Da14a
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-ideapad-5-15-amd-ryzen-7-4700u-8gb-ram-512ssd-radeon-graphics-at-lenovo-3546235

The above shows the ideapad 5 with a ryzen 4700u. This thing is beastly and can easily do GTA and ck3, likely on very high settings at 60+fps. I *cannot* understate how amazing the ryzen 4000 series is for gaming an productivity. I know I sound like a sale rep at this point but trust me, their value is unmatched.

The specs look good but I see many people complaining about the screen and other stuff.
Original post by AcseI
To clarify, you don't want to give up gaming which implies you already game. So what device do you use now, and why do you need another laptop to game on?

Currently, I use a desktop, however, I won't be taking it with me to university
Do you think that the Huawai Matebook D15
is good for university and some gaming at low/medium settings? I don't really trust Huawai devices but the specs are good, I think.
is good for university and some gaming at low/medium settings? I don't really trust Huawai devices but the specs are good, I think.

yes yes yes! half the price of brand names with excellent parts. major good reviews on all sites... i think its the best value currently..
also you have d14, if 849 is in your budget? Honor is excellent and top specs with good freebies (buds, watch etc). I would get this but just bought the a dell 4k

https://www.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/product/honor-magicbook-pro?gclid=CjwKCAjw19z6BRAYEiwAmo64LaHGXB5dNT3cKR9KqRkiHHaOOF7YKj492xkSeSsgAa4cEBd2AMSSmRoC2h0QAvD_BwE

Yeah, it's very hard to justify trusting Huawei devices right now. Would generally say it's best to steer clear.

Original post by Sam783
STUNii have apple discounts on their app at the minute

Even with a student discount, OP won't get getting a MacBook at £500. Not to mention it's not going to suit their needs for gaming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending