The Student Room Group

Hesitant to make noise complaint against flat mates in uni halls

I keep getting awaken throughout the night as they are bringing people to the kitchen and they are very noisy. We don't really talk and they seem to avoid me in the kitchen. I would like to make a noise complaint but they would probably know it was me and I am worried they might become very mean towards me. I am finding it hard to confront them face to face.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah this is a common thing so don't worry. I would say that it would be best to talk to them first, just because if you go and make a complaint they're likely to be weird with you from then on. I do however think though that you have to go to uni with a mind-set of having to deal with stuff like that. You could look for some solutions to it too, ear plugs, white noise machines etc etc. However if they are taking the **** every single night then you're well within your right to say something.
Not to sound like a snitch here but i made a complaint against my flatmate when i was in 1st year. It was 2nd semester and we had finals. I messaged the group chat and told them all i had an exam (a week in advance) so i requested quiet on that night. The sod next door decided it would be a fantastic time to invite his friends round for a weed sesh at 1am. I literally picked my blanket up and went to sleep on the floor on the opposite side of the room to get away from the noise (our beds were side by side next to the thin wall. Long story short, i rang the security guards number who was on patrol downstairs and he came up to his room. They 100% knew it was me but IDC

Moral of the story: talk to them NOW before it ends up happening all year and they start disrespecting you. I let it slide all year and ended up going to my 8:30am exam with 3 bags - 1 on my back and 2 under my eyes
I would invest in some earplugs, personally. This will keep happening regardless of how much your complain - it is just part of living with other students, unfortunately.
Original post by Anonymous
Not to sound like a snitch here but i made a complaint against my flatmate when i was in 1st year. It was 2nd semester and we had finals. I messaged the group chat and told them all i had an exam (a week in advance) so i requested quiet on that night. The sod next door decided it would be a fantastic time to invite his friends round for a weed sesh at 1am. I literally picked my blanket up and went to sleep on the floor on the opposite side of the room to get away from the noise (our beds were side by side next to the thin wall. Long story short, i rang the security guards number who was on patrol downstairs and he came up to his room. They 100% knew it was me but IDC

Moral of the story: talk to them NOW before it ends up happening all year and they start disrespecting you. I let it slide all year and ended up going to my 8:30am exam with 3 bags - 1 on my back and 2 under my eyes

Did they get into trouble? Did security found out about the weed?
Original post by Anonymous1502
Did they get into trouble? Did security found out about the weed?

He definitely knew they were smoking because the hallway to our flat smelled potent. It took them like 10mins to open the door because they had to hide the drugs and the security was persistent in them opening the door. He didnt mention drugs to them he just told them to keep the noise down because your flatmate (aka me) was trying to sleep.

You can call me 69 at this point because i was happy to snitch left right and centre. Especially as i specifically told him i had an exam in the morning and spent over 2 months revising solidly for it. They're lucky the security just told them to be quiet and didnt mention the drugs
I would suggest trying to speak to them first.
Original post by Ramipril
I would suggest trying to speak to them first.

This is a totally unrelated question but how did you choose your username?
This is a totally unrelated question but how did you choose your username?

It's the only drug whose name, side effects and MOA I can remember off by heart :rofl:
Try to approach them first, if they dont listen then consider reporting
They might not nessecarily know it is you, i had to report one of my housemates in second year for constantly having really loud sex in the room next to mine. The complaint got blamed on the grumpy guy downstairs :getmecoat:
:bawling:
I keep getting awaken throughout the night as they are bringing people to the kitchen and they are very noisy. We don't really talk and they seem to avoid me in the kitchen. I would like to make a noise complaint but they would probably know it was me and I am worried they might become very mean towards me. I am finding it hard to confront them face to face.

Really sorry about this. Are you at Pollock?
My life is sorted - I can now be a doctor :cool:
Reply 13
Try to reason with them first, but if that doesn't work you need to complain about it
Don't forget the beta blockers!
Yup, even the ward rounds! :biggrin:
Original post by Quick-use
Really sorry about this. Are you at Pollock?

No
I asked them, they put me on some waiting list and haven't heard anything since
No

Oh, different accomodation at Edinburgh or at another university? :hat2:

I was just going to say that Pollock Halls is notorious for partying.
Original post by Quick-use
Oh, different accomodation at Edinburgh or at another university? :hat2:

I was just going to say that Pollock Halls is notorious for partying.

Different accommodation at Edinburgh. Are you an Edinburgh student by chance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending