The Student Room Group

Accommodation contract urgent please HELP!

Hi, so I no longer need my room in halls since my dad had fallen ill and is now shielding from coronavirus due to the rising cases. I need to be at home to look after him and can commute as I only have classes on three days. However, the contract stipulates that to be released I need to find a replacement tenant who goes to the uni (in London). As there are so many vacancies atm this will be very difficult and I’m really worried that I’ll end up paying for a vacant room for an entire year which I just can’t afford (lost my job due to coronavirus too). I’m really not sure what to do and it’s keeping me awake all night. Please help!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so I no longer need my room in halls since my dad had fallen ill and is now shielding from coronavirus due to the rising cases. I need to be at home to look after him and can commute as I only have classes on three days. However, the contract stipulates that to be released I need to find a replacement tenant who goes to the uni (in London). As there are so many vacancies atm this will be very difficult and I’m really worried that I’ll end up paying for a vacant room for an entire year which I just can’t afford (lost my job due to coronavirus too). I’m really not sure what to do and it’s keeping me awake all night. Please help!

hi I'm in a similar situation, I have differed my place but can't find a new tenant for my room and am scared that I will end up having to pay the full rent for this year. I have emailed the company that I am renting from (unite students) basically explaining my situation and hoping they'll take pity on me but they're taking ages to reply. not sure how much telling you this will help but just here's some solidarity because I know how you're feeling right now. hope you can get this sorted!
Reply 2
Original post by noah 123
hi I'm in a similar situation, I have differed my place but can't find a new tenant for my room and am scared that I will end up having to pay the full rent for this year. I have emailed the company that I am renting from (unite students) basically explaining my situation and hoping they'll take pity on me but they're taking ages to reply. not sure how much telling you this will help but just here's some solidarity because I know how you're feeling right now. hope you can get this sorted!

Omg mine is with unite students too - do you also go to LSE? I really hope they void my contract coz I don’t have enough to pay the first instalment now! Good luck to you too :smile:

Ypu have to find a replacement.
Is it uni or private owned?

In any event advertise well and realise there are also lots of students in London.
If you want to move it fast then offer an incentive to get rid.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Ypu have to find a replacement.
Is it uni or private owned?

In any event advertise well and realise there are also lots of students in London.
If you want to move it fast then offer an incentive to get rid.

Hi, I know this is probably what I’ll have to do. The accommodation is owned by the uni so I was hoping they’d be more lenient considering COVID etc. I have offered a large cash bonus but no takers atm
Hi, I know this is probably what I’ll have to do. The accommodation is owned by the uni so I was hoping they’d be more lenient considering COVID etc. I have offered a large cash bonus but no takers atm

More likely if its uni owned. Unite isnt uni owned.
O think to use your dad as a reason you would need medical evidence and to show he was in significant danger.
Reply 6
More likely if its uni owned. Unite isnt uni owned.
O think to use your dad as a reason you would need medical evidence and to show he was in significant danger.

I see, it’s more his own personal choice to shield but obviously I have proof that he’s diabetic, recently had surgery etc. The halls are operated by unite but I pay the fees directly to the university so I’m not sure in that regard. Maybe I need to increase the cash bonus
I see, it’s more his own personal choice to shield but obviously I have proof that he’s diabetic, recently had surgery etc. The halls are operated by unite but I pay the fees directly to the university so I’m not sure in that regard. Maybe I need to increase the cash bonus

I would focus on advertising and offering it as a commission.
It would have to be major life threatening surgery , am not getting the vibe of them changing, but as unis have less accommodation than freshers I think you should be able to shift it, but ofc depends on the uni.
Reply 8
I would focus on advertising and offering it as a commission.
It would have to be major life threatening surgery , am not getting the vibe of them changing, but as unis have less accommodation than freshers I think you should be able to shift it, but ofc depends on the uni.

Oh I see, the uni is LSE - they stated in a follow up email that they ‘don’t expect to be able to find a replacement’ so I’ll have to really try hard to shift it. Thanks for your advice
Oh I see, the uni is LSE - they stated in a follow up email that they ‘don’t expect to be able to find a replacement’ so I’ll have to really try hard to shift it. Thanks for your advice

I would hang tight for a bit and maybe offer 1-2 weeks as the bonus? Advertise in more spaces.
If they say dont expect to find that means they dont have a queue and wont be going out of their way. If its central then I still think youd stand a good chance. Dies it have to be an LSE student? Have you put it on student spare room?
I would hang tight for a bit and maybe offer 1-2 weeks as the bonus? Advertise in more spaces.
If they say dont expect to find that means they dont have a queue and wont be going out of their way. If its central then I still think youd stand a good chance. Dies it have to be an LSE student? Have you put it on student spare room?

Yeah it has to be an LSE student - they don’t operate a waiting list this year. I’ve posted in all the uni housing FB groups so far
Yeah it has to be an LSE student - they don’t operate a waiting list this year. I’ve posted in all the uni housing FB groups so far

Departmental noticeboards and in the su or library?
Find out the cots of a small ad in the student rag.

Ok thank you, I’ll look into these options

Hi, regarding my mitigation factors for contract termination, do you think the university will consider that my parent had a stroke after I moved in and I now need to care for him?
Hi, regarding my mitigation factors for contract termination, do you think the university will consider that my parent had a stroke after I moved in and I now need to care for him?

Possibly if you can prove that. It is down to discretion. but that would seem more substantial.
Possibly if you can prove that. It is down to discretion. but that would seem more substantial.

I have the outpatient confirmation forms so I will forward these as evidence.

Doctors, social workers or nurses note might help as well about you being needed as carer.
Doctors, social workers or nurses note might help as well about you being needed as carer.

Ah, this I don’t have but I can contact the gp about. Considering the pandemic however he will also need to stay at home. Would the hospital form be enough evidence for this? (I want to make sure I have it all ready before getting back to them). Thanks

Ah, this I don’t have but I can contact the gp about. Considering the pandemic however he will also need to stay at home. Would the hospital form be enough evidence for this? (I want to make sure I have it all ready before getting back to them). Thanks

1. Confirm the fact he had a stroke and possibly impact i.e bed bound.
2. Confirm the fact you are needed.

Its up to you what you can provide.A social workers letter would be enough and the form as they could support the fact he is under care.
GPs charge for letters. Depends how well you get on with yours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending