The Student Room Group

i’m struggling to pick between a level biology and a level history

i’m currently doing geography and psychology and i changed from bio to history but planning to change back i know history and biology have more content but i don’t know which one would be more useful?
Biology because you’d have 2 sciences and possibly even 3 because some unis consider psychology to be a science subject
Original post by sophx293
i’m currently doing geography and psychology and i changed from bio to history but planning to change back i know history and biology have more content but i don’t know which one would be more useful?

Hey @sophx293!

Both are really good strong A-level subjects that are interesting too

I would pick based on which subject you currently enjoy the most and which one you may be slightly better at
Biology (Depending on the exam board) is mostly short answers with some 6/8 marker questions
Whereas history is mostly essay based - so do you feel your skills are more suited to essays or short point questions?

You could also consider what you want to do in the future - do you want to go to uni - if you do what kind of degree would you want to do?
if you have a look at UCAS then you can see what subjects are required for different degrees :smile:

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey @sophx293!

Both are really good strong A-level subjects that are interesting too

I would pick based on which subject you currently enjoy the most and which one you may be slightly better at
Biology (Depending on the exam board) is mostly short answers with some 6/8 marker questions
Whereas history is mostly essay based - so do you feel your skills are more suited to essays or short point questions?

You could also consider what you want to do in the future - do you want to go to uni - if you do what kind of degree would you want to do?
if you have a look at UCAS then you can see what subjects are required for different degrees :smile:

I hope this helps!

hello, i’m hoping to studying geography at uni, and get a job in that degree area, i enjoy biology more than history and achieved an AB in double award and a B in maths intermediate (didn’t sit exams due to pandemic) but the maths in it is freaking me out
hello, i’m hoping to studying geography at uni, and get a job in that degree area, i enjoy biology more than history and achieved an AB in double award and a B in maths intermediate (didn’t sit exams due to pandemic) but the maths in it is freaking me out

The maths content in biology isn't too hard!
You will also have maths in psychology that will correlate with the biology content - so you'll be practicing it from 2 subjects
As long as you practice it you'll be fine with it :smile:

The style of questions in biology will be similar to geography too so that will help you as well!

I hope this helps :smile:

Hi @sophx293,

I hope you are well,

I was in a similar predicament to you. In the end I studied A Level Geography, A Level Biology (and A Level Business Studies). However, I was torn between A Level Biology and A Level Politics. In the end I did decide to study A Level Biology and now that I am studying Geography at degree level I have no regrets making that decision.

In my opinion, depending on the exam boards, A Level Biology and A Level Geography can be a great combination. Both subjects can facilitate each other quite well. It was also helpful to have a science subject as an A Level when it came to applying for University- as it opened up more choice.

Have you got any plans on what you might like to study at University? The entry requirements may also influence whether you choose Biology or History. I would be happy to answer any general questions about studying and uni life.

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
Reply 6
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi @sophx293,

I hope you are well,

I was in a similar predicament to you. In the end I studied A Level Geography, A Level Biology (and A Level Business Studies). However, I was torn between A Level Biology and A Level Politics. In the end I did decide to study A Level Biology and now that I am studying Geography at degree level I have no regrets making that decision.

In my opinion, depending on the exam boards, A Level Biology and A Level Geography can be a great combination. Both subjects can facilitate each other quite well. It was also helpful to have a science subject as an A Level when it came to applying for University- as it opened up more choice.

Have you got any plans on what you might like to study at University? The entry requirements may also influence whether you choose Biology or History. I would be happy to answer any general questions about studying and uni life.

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield

Hello! I’ve just seen this I changed to History in the end and feel much more comfortable with it! I’m planning to study geography at university and plan to become a teacher. Just wondering do you do Human or Physical?

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest