The Student Room Group

Doing Geography, Business, Economics. What can i do further at uni?

I've picked these subjects based on the grades i got for them and how much i enjoy them. However, I don't know what to do next with them and whether my choices make my uni courses very limited. Also should i change to different a levels??
Swap business with maths! Expands your options so much
Reply 2
Original post by Panjsuce

I was originally going to do maths, however my maths right now isn't high enough to be able to do it at a level. I was going to resit it in november and try and get a higher grade but i think i've left it too late.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I was originally going to do maths, however my maths right now isn't high enough to be able to do it at a level. I was going to resit it in november and try and get a higher grade but i think i've left it too late.

Also, maths at a level seems like something i would struggle with a lot at as i'm not particularly strong at it right now and even if i were to do the gcse and get the grades required (7 from a 5) i wouldnt be able to do it for a level starting from january
Reply 4
Also, maths at a level seems like something i would struggle with a lot at as i'm not particularly strong at it right now and even if i were to do the gcse and get the grades required (7 from a 5) i wouldnt be able to do it for a level starting from january

If i were to switch a levels it would be very limited as in gcse i didnt do too well in core subjects, 6 in both eng, 5 maths, 6 science
If i were to switch a levels it would be very limited as in gcse i didnt do too well in core subjects, 6 in both eng, 5 maths, 6 science

I see! What are you thinking about for uni?
Reply 6
I see! What are you thinking about for uni?

Preferably somewhere in london as it's closer to me, fairly well respected and in a russell group.
Reply 7
Preferably somewhere in london as it's closer to me, fairly well respected and in a russell group.

However many uni's a requiring me to have done maths a level to do an economics or business course and im not sure what courses i could get into with a good a level in geography.
However many uni's a requiring me to have done maths a level to do an economics or business course and im not sure what courses i could get into with a good a level in geography.

Yeah you are really limited without maths a-Level, unless you decide to go for BA rather than BSc (focusing on theories more than mathematical applications), but this wouldn’t favour maths-heavy careers; I would think about what you want careers wise, Maths is very much a necessity for the vast majority of unis; and even those who don’t require it will still require GCSE Maths to a good standard i.e. grade 7.
I've picked these subjects based on the grades i got for them and how much i enjoy them. However, I don't know what to do next with them and whether my choices make my uni courses very limited. Also should i change to different a levels??

Hi Anonymous,

I hope you are well during these unprecedented times,

I wanted to do the same A Levels as yourself at my 6th Form College however, there was not enough students who signed up for the Economics course therefore, the course didn’t go ahead. Instead I decided to study A Level Biology. I found it the most interesting of the three major science A Levels and thought it would compliment A Level Geography well.

I don’t regret that decision. Granted yes, for some A Level Biology may seem like a difficult A Level but I enjoyed the challenge. As a result, if you decide you want to apply for University then having a science subject could help open up more degree options.

However, I also want to encourage you to make sure that you study the subjects you enjoy. This may help when it comes to revision, applying for university and future careers.

Have you got any thoughts on what you might want to study at university?

I may seem bias as a Geography BSc(Hons) student; however, I have thoroughly enjoyed my first-year experience so far and now in my second.

I know you have quite high aspirations in terms of which university you want to apply for however, our Geography course for example has relatively low entry requirements and doesn’t require A Level Maths. You can find the full details below.
https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/geography-bsc-hons

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
Yeah you are really limited without maths a-Level, unless you decide to go for BA rather than BSc (focusing on theories more than mathematical applications), but this wouldn’t favour maths-heavy careers; I would think about what you want careers wise, Maths is very much a necessity for the vast majority of unis; and even those who don’t require it will still require GCSE Maths to a good standard i.e. grade 7.

Hi there, sorry for the late reply, but i've decided to go ahead with my subjects without a level maths (economics, geography and business) and I'm currently going to do my first mocks for them. I'm not sure what to do as I know i'm limited with my options but was considering a career in business or geography if economics doesn't work out. Do you think that would be viable for me? I'm hoping to get high a level grades to make up for the fact that my maths gcse is relatively weak. Thank you!
Reply 11
Hi there, sorry for the late reply, but i've decided to go ahead with my subjects without a level maths (economics, geography and business) and I'm currently going to do my first mocks for them. I'm not sure what to do as I know i'm limited with my options but was considering a career in business or geography if economics doesn't work out. Do you think that would be viable for me? I'm hoping to get high a level grades to make up for the fact that my maths gcse is relatively weak. Thank you!

There's a bit of overlap between economics and business, might be better to swap business with something else.

There is a feature on theuniguide.co.uk where you can enter your A-level subjects and it gives a list of potential courses.
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi Anonymous,

I hope you are well during these unprecedented times,

I wanted to do the same A Levels as yourself at my 6th Form College however, there was not enough students who signed up for the Economics course therefore, the course didn’t go ahead. Instead I decided to study A Level Biology. I found it the most interesting of the three major science A Levels and thought it would compliment A Level Geography well.

I don’t regret that decision. Granted yes, for some A Level Biology may seem like a difficult A Level but I enjoyed the challenge. As a result, if you decide you want to apply for University then having a science subject could help open up more degree options.

However, I also want to encourage you to make sure that you study the subjects you enjoy. This may help when it comes to revision, applying for university and future careers.

Have you got any thoughts on what you might want to study at university?

I may seem bias as a Geography BSc(Hons) student; however, I have thoroughly enjoyed my first-year experience so far and now in my second.

I know you have quite high aspirations in terms of which university you want to apply for however, our Geography course for example has relatively low entry requirements and doesn’t require A Level Maths. You can find the full details below.
https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/geography-bsc-hons

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield

Dear Sam, Thank you so much for your reply!

I've settled on doing economics, business and geography and I'm getting towards the end of the first year and although geography does have a lot of content to cover, I do enjoy learning about it. I'm not sure on what career I want to pursue, since economics needs maths if I want a chance of getting into the top uni's. I've looked into it and I've seen that some uni's do offer economics without maths a level, however you would have to do a foundation course which would add on another year. Because of that I've been looking into business and geography careers, since you are a Geography BSc (Hons) student, what careers in geography are you looking to go into and what options would be available for me with the subjects I'm doing and the entry requirements etc. I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me as I'm still unsure of my career paths and options.
Dear Sam, Thank you so much for your reply!

I've settled on doing economics, business and geography and I'm getting towards the end of the first year and although geography does have a lot of content to cover, I do enjoy learning about it. I'm not sure on what career I want to pursue, since economics needs maths if I want a chance of getting into the top uni's. I've looked into it and I've seen that some uni's do offer economics without maths a level, however you would have to do a foundation course which would add on another year. Because of that I've been looking into business and geography careers, since you are a Geography BSc (Hons) student, what careers in geography are you looking to go into and what options would be available for me with the subjects I'm doing and the entry requirements etc. I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me as I'm still unsure of my career paths and options.

Hello,

Just in case Sam doesn't see this, you can chat with him via UniBuddy at https://www.hud.ac.uk/chat-with-our-students/. He's listed under 'Applied Sciences'.
Best wishes,
UoH

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending