Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Why do we study Shakespeare for GCSE and A Level?
(intelligent answers only)
tashkent46
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
The Department of Education specifies as part of the National Curriculum that the English Language has to be taught, as part of that specification they list the works of Shakespeare as mandatory study.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by tashkent46)
The Department of Education specifies as part of the National Curriculum that the English Language has to be taught, as part of that specification they list the works of Shakespeare as mandatory study.
i know, but why, why is he so important and vital that we study him, why not somebody like christopher marlowe
tashkent46
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i know, but why, why is he so important and vital that we study him, why not somebody like christopher marlowe
Because he is the most famous writer of the English language and Marlowe is not? There are plenty of Elizabethan writers of a similar quality to, if not better than Shakespeare but none of them are as well known globally.
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Why are you Anonymous? (Intelligent answers only).
Anonymous #1
cos it is an essay question and i dont want my teacher to find out who posted it, i've written a few ideas down but im a bit stumped for ideas so thougt id come on here and get other peoples opinions
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Why do we study Shakespeare for GCSE and A Level?
(intelligent answers only)
We don’t just study Shakespeare. Some schools may choose to also study Charles Dickens or Jane Austen.

Also more people would’ve heard of Shakespeare rather than Marlowe and so that’s why he was probably chosen.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
We don’t just study Shakespeare. Some schools may choose to also study Charles Dickens or Jane Austen.

Also more people would’ve heard of Shakespeare rather than Marlowe and so that’s why he was probably chosen.
but shakespeare is compulsory, you can choose whether to study it or not as it is on both gcse and a level english literature papers and teh shakespeare question is compulsory.
tashkent46
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Okay here are your 'core arguments'.

Popularity: We study Shakespeare because he is being studied. Circular but true.

Drama: Shakespeare's works have theatrical quality that allows us to appreciate them on stage and reach a broader audience.

Language: The language is close enough to Modern English to appreciate for a modern audience.

Literary: The quality of the prose or poetry is good (speak about verse, metre, literary figures).

History: He wrote at a definitive time in English history as part of both the Tudor (Elizabeth) and Stuart (James) dynasties.

English: Unlike many authors his work is definitively English, Shakespeare has no Latin or Greek canon unlike some other English authors.

Nationalism: Shakespeare's work fosters a common identity so the state encourages us to study it for shared bonding.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by tashkent46)
Okay here are your 'core arguments'.

Popularity: We study Shakespeare because he is being studied. Circular but true.

Drama: Shakespeare's works have theatrical quality that allows us to appreciate them on stage and reach a broader audience.

Language: The language is close enough to Modern English to appreciate for a modern audience.

Literary: The quality of the prose or poetry is good (speak about verse, metre, literary figures).

History: He wrote at a definitive time in English history as part of both the Tudor (Elizabeth) and Stuart (James) dynasties.

English: Unlike many authors his work is definitively English, Shakespeare has no Latin or Greek canon unlike some other English authors.

Nationalism: Shakespeare's work fosters a common identity so the state encourages us to study it for shared bonding.
thx so much xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (181)
44.15%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (46)
11.22%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (86)
20.98%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (41)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.61%

Watched Threads