The Student Room Group

,y hair is falling out

I was given tablets for low levels of iron and vitamin d and I was told by my doctors that my hair would grow back after a while of taking the tablets. The opposite has happened and my hair has become so thin. I don’t know who to ask about it because the doctors keep dismissing it but I went from very tick hair to barely any hair with a dry texture to it. I’m a female
Original post by Anonymous
I was given tablets for low levels of iron and vitamin d and I was told by my doctors that my hair would grow back after a while of taking the tablets. The opposite has happened and my hair has become so thin. I don’t know who to ask about it because the doctors keep dismissing it but I went from very tick hair to barely any hair with a dry texture to it. I’m a female

How often are you washing your hair?

Right now my hair is also falling out so I decided to get it cut quite short so it didn't seem so thin, mine's due to having surgery in the last few months. As hard as it sounds try not to panic, it will go grow back and it's the season of wearing beanie hats anyway so you can hide any patches :smile:
Reply 2
I only wash it once a week because of how dry it is.
I wear a headscarf anyway so no one can see my hair but I feel ugly.
I only wash it once a week because of how dry it is.
I wear a headscarf anyway so no one can see my hair but I feel ugly.

Did the doctor say how long it could take till you see change?

Trying new shampoos can also help with hair loss too.
Reply 4
They said it all over the phone.
They gave me another blood test saying that my vitamin d and iron levels are improving with the tablet and how after continued use, my hair would grow back and I’d feel better
But my hair continues to fall out and my hair has become thin in the middle and my hair line has receded
Reply 5
They said it all over the phone.
They gave me another blood test saying that my vitamin d and iron levels are improving with the tablet and how after continued use, my hair would grow back and I’d feel better
But my hair continues to fall out and my hair has become thin in the middle and my hair line has receded

i would have thought b vitamins would have had more of an effect on hair...
Do you tie your hair in a bun or up tight?

When you wash your hair do you put it in a towel turban type thing?

Have you tried any natural remedies?

Have you tried not wearing the hijab too much inside your house/in your bedroom?

Have you tried changing shampoos?

Do you condition or oil your hair?
Reply 7
I don’t wear my headscarf at home
I condition my hair, I used to oil my hair but felt like it was making my hair worse
I don’t put my hair in a turban style when I wash my hair anymore
I do put my hair in a bun because of wearing a scarf but it’s quite lose
I’m not sure what to do and my doctors had assured me a months ago it would get better over the phone
I don’t wear my headscarf at home
I condition my hair, I used to oil my hair but felt like it was making my hair worse
I don’t put my hair in a turban style when I wash my hair anymore
I do put my hair in a bun because of wearing a scarf but it’s quite lose
I’m not sure what to do and my doctors had assured me a months ago it would get better over the phone

Try to wear your hair in loose plaits.
Which oil did you use? Some oils are considered 'hot' which can cause hair loss and others are considered 'cool' whoch stops hair loss. It stinks but I have heard a lot of good stuff about 'amla' hair oil and for some 'coconut oil' Try to oil to moisturise, so while your hair is wet just a little oil, and it will not make it greasy.

Do you use a hair dryer? How do you dry your hair?

Have you tried speaking to the doctor again?

try wearing your hair in loose plaits for a week or so and that way you wont be washing it too much and when you do wash it try a conditioning mask. if it continues to fall out i would call the doctor again as it may be from another factor
I used caster oil which wasn’t the best for my hair
Ok, I’ll try out Amal oil, I’ve heard good things about it
I just leave my hair to naturally dry and I barely ever use any heat on my hair
Hopefully I’ll be calling them this week
I hope they don’t dismiss it
Try using shampoo and conditioner that doesn't contain harsh chemicals. Try Dr organic from Holland and barret its made from natural organic stuff.

You sure it's not genetic? It's not alopecia? Are you stressed? Stress can result in hair loss.
I used to use Dr organic and it would leave my hair feeling so itchy
I don’t think it’s alopecia because I don’t have bald patches but thinning
I think it could be to do with stress because I’m always stressed out but I don’t know how to manage it
Is your hair more straight or curly

Google Mane Spray
It’s wavy
Ok, will do
I used caster oil which wasn’t the best for my hair
Ok, I’ll try out Amal oil, I’ve heard good things about it
I just leave my hair to naturally dry and I barely ever use any heat on my hair
Hopefully I’ll be calling them this week
I hope they don’t dismiss it

Have you dyed your hair?

You need to quote who you are replying to, it would be easier to reply to you
I’ve never dyed my hair, I barely apply heat on my hair which doesn’t make sense why I’d have so much hair loss
I’ve never dyed my hair, I barely apply heat on my hair which doesn’t make sense why I’d have so much hair loss

Update us when you have spoken to the doctor

Quick Reply

Latest