The Student Room Group

Struggling with my language

Hi there,

I am an Asian student in my 2nd year. I still have no friends and don't know how to meet one in uni.

And my English is still terrible as I even cannot understand what my lectures and groupmates are talking about.

I feel lost and confused about my study and uni life.

People in my department seem don't like to talk to me, and I am afraid of going to an event alone. I am freaked out for everything in uni...

Scroll to see replies

Well I’m not in uni yet but I think you should talk to someone who works there about it. If you don’t understand things your learning how are u going to learn. I’m soo sorry that no one wants to talk to you because you could be the nicest person ever and they would never know. I would say just go out and be socialble but I’m not like that myself. Take small steps and carry on learning English and focus on yourself for now. Don’t be afraid to ask for help everyone needs help in life at one point! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by learner38
Well I’m not in uni yet but I think you should talk to someone who works there about it. If you don’t understand things your learning how are u going to learn. I’m soo sorry that no one wants to talk to you because you could be the nicest person ever and they would never know. I would say just go out and be socialble but I’m not like that myself. Take small steps and carry on learning English and focus on yourself for now. Don’t be afraid to ask for help everyone needs help in life at one point! :smile:

Hi thank you, that's nice of you.

Your suggestion is good, I was thinking about contacting my tutor or others, however, I am year 2 now. Maybe they will ask me about how did I pass my first year, and my answer would be "b/c I took the advantage of covid (my uni cancelled all year 1 exam last academic year)". And I m afraid they will advise me to drop off and improve my English.(then my parents will kill me)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi thank you, that's nice of you.

Your suggestion is good, I was thinking about contacting my tutor or others, however, I am year 2 now. Maybe they will ask me about how did I pass my first year, and my answer would be "b/c I took the advantage of covid (my uni cancelled all year 1 exam last academic year)". And I m afraid they will advise me to drop off and improve my English.(then my parents will kill me)

But your parents should understand. Going to uni with bad English is the hardest thing to do. Please it’s better to get help then suffer in silence. I understand you completely tho. It’s your choice :smile:
what course are you studying? you seem to be able to write pretty well in english and converse with people on here. do you know if your uni has any english language classes to help support international students?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by learner38
But your parents should understand. Going to uni with bad English is the hardest thing to do. Please it’s better to get help then suffer in silence. I understand you completely tho. It’s your choice :smile:

Hi Learner38,

Thank you anyway. I will consider it :knuddel:(this emoji is so fun btw
Reply 6
Original post by MadameRazz
what course are you studying? you seem to be able to write pretty well in english and converse with people on here. do you know if your uni has any english language classes to help support international students?

Hi,

I am studying Arts and Humanities course, which is too difficult for a non-native speaker(no offence here).

I can write something and have a conversation, but I am always lost 70% of our conversation ( Hope my words make sense). Usually, I depend on guessing rather than understanding the contents. And for my course, I even do not know what my groupmates are talking av out, I can only catch some vocabularies but not the whole meaning. It affects my study and normal life.

I have been the language helping centre, it did not work well. I knew what tutors introduced, my problem is how to use them correctly and keep practising (I guess)
Reply 7
In our university we have a department to help international students with their English language - you could look into whether your university has anything similar?
Reply 8
Original post by Moana92
In our university we have a department to help international students with their English language - you could look into whether your university has anything similar?

Been there, but i don't think it helps
You need to speak to your university, because it is really unfair on if you are not understanding, and then you do not get the grades!
i hope you dont mind me asking, but why did you choose to study a course taught in a language you dont fully understand? there’s not much to be done apart from practicing your english, and maybe seeing if your tutor or lecturers can provide you with simplified resources/handouts? not sure.
Original post by deadroseex
You need to speak to your university, because it is really unfair on if you are not understanding, and then you do not get the grades!

I think they will advice me to drop off then, my parents wont take it :frown:
Original post by MadameRazz
i hope you dont mind me asking, but why did you choose to study a course taught in a language you dont fully understand? there’s not much to be done apart from practicing your english, and maybe seeing if your tutor or lecturers can provide you with simplified resources/handouts? not sure.

Haha that's fine, I know this is wired. But at that time, I had no other choice, my family would not let me enter a BCC college in my home country, they could not take it either me. Maybe b/c I am a loser that refuses to admit the fact.
There should be an English department for international students who can advise you. Speak to your personal tutor too.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
There should be an English department for international students who can advise you. Speak to your personal tutor too.

I dont think my tutor likes me, who likes a silent and dumb student.
If your University won't help you then you could find a private tutor? I know that it's going to cost, but that seems a better option than leaving Uni all together. Maybe one of your coursemates would help you for free?
Original post by Moana92
If your University won't help you then you could find a private tutor? I know that it's going to cost, but that seems a better option than leaving Uni all together. Maybe one of your coursemates would help you for free?

I am considering it. Thx.
Be around people more, even if you don’t understand, try and listen to what they’re saying, eventually it will be easier to understand!
Original post by SmartUnicorn
Be around people more, even if you don’t understand, try and listen to what they’re saying, eventually it will be easier to understand!

but it is embracing!
Maybe I do need to give up this time, I m so tiredly...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending