The Student Room Group

Unemployed Graduate 2020

Graduated with a 2:1 in physics this year but really struggling to get a job/grad scheme/part-time work. Anyone else in the same/similar boat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I graduated with a 2:1 in pharmaceutical sciences and I've been struggling to find work too. I'm guessing the covid 19 situation is making the job pool a little shallow atm. Hopefully things will get better soon. Good luck finding a job!
Same here, looking for a grad role before its too late. I have interview this week for retail job, so that's something but need to push for grad role.
Original post by shrevee
I graduated with a 2:1 in pharmaceutical sciences and I've been struggling to find work too. I'm guessing the covid 19 situation is making the job pool a little shallow atm. Hopefully things will get better soon. Good luck finding a job!

Thank you, you too!
Original post by route255
Same here, looking for a grad role before its too late. I have interview this week for retail job, so that's something but need to push for grad role.

Think a few are ongoing all year and there's re-openings for some Jan through March for September starts - hopefully there isn't a too late! Good luck with the interview too!
Original post by WingedCobra15
Think a few are ongoing all year and there's re-openings for some Jan through March for September starts - hopefully there isn't a too late! Good luck with the interview too!

Thanks. Yes, grad scheme applications are open now. So good idea to apply to them. At the same time looking for something more immediate.

Have you contacted companies ad hoc asking for work experience or jobs?
Thanks. Yes, grad scheme applications are open now. So good idea to apply to them. At the same time looking for something more immediate.

Have you contacted companies ad hoc asking for work experience or jobs?

Yeah I've applied to loads of grad schemes to little avail, not really getting any further than the one-way video interviews. Also looking for something for the now, hoping more temp jobs will pop up nearing Christmas but there aren't too many yet near me.

I had a face-to-face interview at a local R&D company which I'd emailed - thought it went well but didn't get it. Also went to a TPP 'assessment centre' which was actually just a fancy maths/problem-solving test from which again thought I did well at but got told I'd been unsuccessful 20 mins after it before even having an interview. Other than that though, I'm planning to email a few more but haven't got round to it as I've been doing loads of SJT's and what not for grad schemes. How about you?
Reply 7
Yeah I've applied to loads of grad schemes to little avail, not really getting any further than the one-way video interviews. Also looking for something for the now, hoping more temp jobs will pop up nearing Christmas but there aren't too many yet near me.

I had a face-to-face interview at a local R&D company which I'd emailed - thought it went well but didn't get it. Also went to a TPP 'assessment centre' which was actually just a fancy maths/problem-solving test from which again thought I did well at but got told I'd been unsuccessful 20 mins after it before even having an interview. Other than that though, I'm planning to email a few more but haven't got round to it as I've been doing loads of SJT's and what not for grad schemes. How about you?

Oh no that's unfortunate regarding TPP, my anxiety has just increased since I was planning on attending their office to do the test this week and thought that the practice q's they gave us would be enough prep :frown:

What is TPP?
I was successful in a grad scheme role but they froze recruitment for this year, so was cancelled.
Sounds like your busy applying.
Similar to me , applying to grad schemes again, grad roles when they pop up.
Reply 9
What is TPP?
I was successful in a grad scheme role but they froze recruitment for this year, so was cancelled.
Sounds like your busy applying.
Similar to me , applying to grad schemes again, grad roles when they pop up.

TPP is a bit hard to describe but they focus on the digital interface and cloud management within the healthcare sector. I applied because I'm a Chemical Engineering graduate (2020 cohort and it's been hard :frown:) and it really appealed to me. However, they are notoriously difficult to get into so any kind of insight into that test that @WingedCobra15 sat would be very much welcomed!
Reply 10
Welcome to the struggle. Many graduates face similar problems. You just have to keep trying and learn from each negative experience as best as possible. Part time jobs are hard to come by right now as well. It sucks to be honest but this is life at the moment and its one of those things that you just have to accept. Make sure you stay mentally positive because that is half the battle.
Original post by SChow96
TPP is a bit hard to describe but they focus on the digital interface and cloud management within the healthcare sector. I applied because I'm a Chemical Engineering graduate (2020 cohort and it's been hard :frown:) and it really appealed to me. However, they are notoriously difficult to get into so any kind of insight into that test that @WingedCobra15 sat would be very much welcomed!

Sorry to add to your anxiety! Don't worry though, the tests are really similar to the logic test you were given, just longer (you get given an hour to do two papers if I remember correctly). If you understand that + prepare with some of the free online example tests, you'll be more than fine - I thought it was quite enjoyable!

There were ~15 people at my session in August and I'd applied for the Graduate Analyst role. In the exam room, they went round asking what scheme people had selected and gave everyone tests based on that with analyst/business/software (i.e. mathsy roles) getting the same tests I think and I assume the others got something slightly different.

20 mins or so after they'd marked them, they called for four of us to leave the room and told us we had been unsuccessful in our applications and they couldn't provide feedback. I assume the others went straight on to interview. As stubborn as it is to say, I think I'd been rejected before even attending as I genuinely thought I'd aced the tests - I put it down to my CV as I don't have much relevant data analysis experience other than in parts of my degree and an astrophysics work experience week during A-levels (it also could have done with some general formatting improvements as a whole back then as well but hey ho :rolleyes:). I also didn't mention anything to do with healthcare on it either. I'll never know but I overheard that there were a few others on the same scheme as me during that particular session so can only imagine they were a better fit.

Don't let my experience put you off though, it's a free day out solving puzzles and if you have the potential to come out of it with a £45k salary job after then I'd say that's worth doing! I swear one of the guys running it said he did Chem Eng at uni too so you'd definitely have a shout! Just don't put too much pressure on yourself - it's an experience and like you said they are notoriously hard to get on to anyway.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :smile:

See below for some good websites for test practice:
https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/
https://www.practiceaptitudetests.com/logical-reasoning-tests/
https://www.built-environment-networking.com/event/construction-property-recruitment-fair/

This is a free to attend online recruitment fair if you are interested.
Anyone had any luck with grad schemes?
In the same position, graduated with a first in Mathematics and not getting anywhere. Losing the will to live tbh.
Anyone had any luck with grad schemes?

Applied for 5 related to my degree, theres not many more in UK. Not heard back yet, should be soon. Last year applied to them, got through the hoops for one last year to be told congralations but recruitment is frozen and its cancelled.
Reply 16
not much luck with the grad scheme, resorting to working two part-time jobs within my field of interest. not ideal but better than nothing
Original post by tan030
not much luck with the grad scheme, resorting to working two part-time jobs within my field of interest. not ideal but better than nothing

How many have you applied for?
Reply 18
How many have you applied for?

I've applied for around 45 jobs (both entry level and grad schemes) and got to the final stage for around 6 of them.
Original post by Ben4
In the same position, graduated with a first in Mathematics and not getting anywhere. Losing the will to live tbh.

I feel you mate, it's royally **** at the moment. Out of like 8 of my mates who graduated with me, only one of them's got something they actually wanted to do/isn't resorting to a back up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending