The Student Room Group

can you prevent food poisoning? HELP

is it possible to prevent food poisoning, i.e. its symptoms like nausea, vomitting, diarrhea, from happening when you already ate some spoiled food? what can I do?
help please..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
thanks for your sarcasm. I didn't know it was spoiled when I ate it, otherwise, I wouldn't obviously.
I don't have any symptoms or anything, so why call 111 right away?
Reply 2
No easy way. Mind most spoiled food is unlikely to do you harm. What are you concerned about?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Zarek
No easy way. Mind most spoiled food is unlikely to do you hard. What are you concerned about?

I just have an important thing tomorrow morning and I cancel it really hence I'd like to prevent the symptoms from developing. and well, it's never nice to vomit, you know
Reply 4
well, isn't it essentially the definition of prevention? not to let something happen. I was just thinking there was something I could do to at least reduce the effect so to say if anything happens
Original post by Cocoo234
well, isn't it essentially the definition of prevention? not to let something happen. I was just thinking there was something I could do to at least reduce the effect so to say if anything happens

Once you have taken the food into your stomach you cant really prevent the outcome
Reply 6

What did you eat?
Reply 7
Original post by Zarek
What did you eat?

you mean what might cause the food poisoning, not everything I ate? ham and yoghurt
Reply 8
you mean what might cause the food poisoning, not everything I ate? ham and yoghurt

Presume they were outside use by date. I would say this is relatively low risk as ham is cured and cooked, yoghurt is low pH with a dominant bacterial species. While food poisoning is possible, it’s much more likely any spoilage is by harmless bacteria. Also take in to account use by dates typically have a safety margin.
When did you eat the spoiled food? How long has it been with any food poisoning symptoms?
Reply 10

How out of date was the ham? You can get some nasty things from ham such as listeria.
There's not much you can do now, but look out for symptoms of food poisoning and call 111 if you get symptoms, as they can turn nasty.
Reply 11
it was around 2-3 pm, I didn't have any symptoms until literally just minutes ago when I threw up.
Reply 12
Original post by L-K
How out of date was the ham? You can get some nasty things from ham such as listeria.
There's not much you can do now, but look out for symptoms of food poisoning and call 111 if you get symptoms, as they can turn nasty.

I don't know how out of date it was, my mum just said it wasn't too fresh and wasn't sure when she even bought it.
I threw up a few minutes ago and have a stomach ache and nausea, but I don't have fever or anything.
Reply 13
Original post by Zarek
Presume they were outside use by date. I would say this is relatively low risk as ham is cured and cooked, yoghurt is low pH with a dominant bacterial species. While food poisoning is possible, it’s much more likely any spoilage is by harmless bacteria. Also take in to account use by dates typically have a safety margin.

yeah, obviously, but I'm quite sensitive to such things and it's easy to upset my stomach, so I think I'm starting to have some mild symptoms.
Reply 14
so I threw up again and again and am feeling terribly rn, any tips what I can do? I don't want to involve doctors into it really as I don't think it's that serious, is there anything I can do to make myself feel better? apart from drinking water in order not to dehydrate
Take imodium (loperamide hydrochloride). You can buy it over the counter. It can get rid of alot of the symptoms. Works really well in my experience.
is it possible to prevent food poisoning, i.e. its symptoms like nausea, vomitting, diarrhea, from happening when you already ate some spoiled food? what can I do?
help please..

so I threw up again and again and am feeling terribly rn, any tips what I can do? I don't want to involve doctors into it really as I don't think it's that serious, is there anything I can do to make myself feel better? apart from drinking water in order not to dehydrate

Most cases of food poisoning can be treated at home with plenty of rest and drinking/sipping plenty of water to stop any dehydration.
Should pass over in 2 - 3 days usually , symptoms starts sometimes within a few hours and upto few weeks.
If symptoms worsen then seek advice from your GP or all NHS 111 ok.
And when you upto it then start eating small portions of food and build up your strength / energy again .
Food poisoning is awful. I've had it twice - once from pork and another from shellfish (one not being cooked properly, the other not stored properly once cooked - both in restaurants, Spain).

You'll probably keep throwing up for 12-24 hours. Don't stray too far from the bathroom but hunker down for some sleep and keep drinking water where you can. Not a lot you can do now tbh. You might be better in the morning depending on the severity.
Just make sure you don't stop yourself from throwing up. Your body is trying to get rid of the food.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Take imodium (loperamide hydrochloride). You can buy it over the counter. It can get rid of alot of the symptoms. Works really well in my experience.

That's for diarrhoea, not vomiting.

Quick Reply

Latest