The Student Room Group

how to move out at 17

like what tax do I pay when I work and get a car and stuff I don't understand lmaoo yikes
Original post by csmh1912
like what tax do I pay when I work and get a car and stuff I don't understand lmaoo yikes

Define "move out". Are you looking to rent your own flat? Or move out with friends etc.?
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
Define "move out". Are you looking to rent your own flat? Or move out with friends etc.?

hey thanks for answering :smile:) I have no relatives and don't have any friends I'd be willing to live with... I wonder if I could work as an au pair and travel abroad..or rent.. idk
(edited 3 years ago)
hey thanks for answering :smile:) I have no relatives and don't have any friends I'd be willing to live with... I wonder if I could work as an au pair and travel abroad..or rent.. idk

Are you planning on going to full-time work or studying?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Are you planning on going to full-time work or studying?

well when I finish y11 I'll be turning 17... I've thought about it and even though I'm good at school, I don't think a levels are for me as I've grown up sheltered and I need to experience real life asap or I'm not gonna be able to handle uni/work at all. I wanna work but do a degree with the open uni sometime..I need to develop emotion skills and understand how real life works. I know it sounds really silly but i need time to sort stuff out in my life
(edited 3 years ago)

Not until you are 18 - you need to be in full time education or an apprenticeship until then.
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
Not until you are 18 - you need to be in full time education or an apprenticeship until then.

oh yeah that's why I said work. an apprenticeship I meant. ah I wrote it weird lol I meant an au pair later on. ignore that sorry
(edited 3 years ago)
well when I finish y11 I'll be turning 17... I've thought about it and even though I'm good at school, I don't think a levels are for me as I've grown up sheltered and I need to experience real life asap or I'm not gonna be able to handle uni/work at all. I wanna work but do a degree with the open uni sometime..I need to develop emotion skills and understand how real life works. I know it sounds really silly but i need time to sort stuff out in my life

I am just wondering, how are you in yr 11 and turning 17?
Just curious

Plus I know exactly how you feel as I've grown up sheltered too and I'm the same age :smile:. I'm currently in yr 13 tho.
And honestly, you don't have to move out to experience 'real-life'. You could experience 'real-life' by volunteering, hanging out with friends etc.
But it's up to you what you want to do. As long as your happy and you enjoy what you're doing, go for it :smile:

You will need a stable income to rent.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
I am just wondering, how are you in yr 11 and turning 17?
Just curious

Plus I know exactly how you feel as I've grown up sheltered too and I'm the same age :smile:. I'm currently in yr 13 tho.
And honestly, you don't have to move out to experience 'real-life'. You could experience 'real-life' by volunteering, hanging out with friends etc.
But it's up to you what you want to do. As long as your happy and you enjoy what you're doing, go for it :smile:

no I'm 17 when I finish y11. my birthday is in December. and aw that's sucks. and I know but I live too far. I only hang out once a year😭it's too much hassle and I don't enjoy it...volunteering would cost too much in fuel:/
Reply 10
no I'm 17 when I finish y11. my birthday is in December. and aw that's sucks. and I know but I live too far. I only hang out once a year😭it's too much hassle and I don't enjoy it...volunteering would cost too much in fuel:/

If you can’t afford fuel to volunteer somewhere once a week then you definitely can’t afford rent to live by yourself

ohhh Lmao that's what you meant by your age 😂 🤦*♀️ srry.

I'm assuming you live in the countryside?
If that is the case then you could volunteer by catching public transport such as a bus etc? Volunteering gives you the chance to meet new people and acquire many skills needed for 'real life'.

It's fine if you don't want to hang out with friends, I mean I avoid to hang out with friends too :/.
(I'm an introvert, so I prefer to spend more time alone than with friends :u:)

You need to stay in full time education or an apprenticeship until you’re 18. No apprenticeship is going to pay you enough to rent alone so I would suggest living at home until uni

Actually I don’t think you can go to uni after doing an apprenticeship so I’d advise doing a levels. Just get through a levels and uno hang out with friends, get a job, volunteer. Then you could take a gap year, perhaps working as an au pair or inter railing and do some travelling. You could also do study abroad at uni for some more independence.

I would really not suggest moving out at your age, it’s not as fun as it sounds to live on your own and pay bills lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending