The Student Room Group

Anyone who has driving test in December in England?

First of all, I have my driving test scheduled on the 16th of December a long time ago and I can’t believe that they won’t allow me to cancel or rearrange it considering I have only two weeks after the lockdown finishes (2nd December) to prepare for it. Considering how my driving instructor is going to make priority for those who have an upcoming test, he is going to have a very busy schedule as well as my busy school schedule. How is this going to work, I’m stressing so bad, I originally have planned that in one month and a half I have ample of time to prepare for the test, now I only have 2 weeks. I’m so so so stressed. If I fail I need to pay again just because the cut down my preparation time.
Is anyone else effected by this? Let me know how you’re going to cope with this and what plans you got to prepare in such a short amount of time.
Reply 1
If you are learning with a company, such us RED, then you should have been given the rules regarding pricing and length of time on the course; number of lessons; a policy. A contract would provide the necessary information regarding your lessons, including commitments promised by both parties. An independent instructor should be under a licensing authority of some kind, presumably, and thus you are entitled to cancel providing you give, typically, at least 48 hours.

SO, where does it state on your agreement that you cannot cancel at any time? What are the reasons given? Why have you not prepared up until this point? If you put the work in with a member of your family during these 2 weeks I am sure you will be fine. If not, if you fail, then you fail. Try again :smile:

What matters is not the money, it's the stress attached to the idea of money being wasted. Learn from this experience; make sure you are fully aware of the commitment and responsibilities of both yourself and the instructor before you begin your driving lessons. I understand the current pandemic complications, in that they may disturb otherwise simple operations, but your driving instructor will also understand. Perhaps ask an adult to communicate with him/her in hopes that they may be able to elucidate the matter, providing you with a second opinion. Get the facts and remain objective.

Ultimately there should be room for compassion. If it feels unfair then it may actually be; some people are just in it for themselves I'm afraid.

Good luck with everything though. Try not to be stressed, just approach matters in the most appropriate way needed and try to ascertain the necessary documents that stipulate the policy.
Original post by Juntus
If you are learning with a company, such us RED, then you should have been given the rules regarding pricing and length of time on the course; number of lessons; a policy. A contract would provide the necessary information regarding your lessons, including commitments promised by both parties. An independent instructor should be under a licensing authority of some kind, presumably, and thus you are entitled to cancel providing you give, typically, at least 48 hours.

SO, where does it state on your agreement that you cannot cancel at any time? What are the reasons given? Why have you not prepared up until this point? If you put the work in with a member of your family during these 2 weeks I am sure you will be fine. If not, if you fail, then you fail. Try again :smile:

What matters is not the money, it's the stress attached to the idea of money being wasted. Learn from this experience; make sure you are fully aware of the commitment and responsibilities of both yourself and the instructor before you begin your driving lessons. I understand the current pandemic complications, in that they may disturb otherwise simple operations, but your driving instructor will also understand. Perhaps ask an adult to communicate with him/her in hopes that they may be able to elucidate the matter, providing you with a second opinion. Get the facts and remain objective.

Ultimately there should be room for compassion. If it feels unfair then it may actually be; some people are just in it for themselves I'm afraid.

Good luck with everything though. Try not to be stressed, just approach matters in the most appropriate way needed and try to ascertain the necessary documents that stipulate the policy.

I’m currently living alone at the moment and so can’t really practice during the lockdown with any adults that can drive. Which just adds more stress ahaha.
I have contacted my instructor and he said that the driving centre that I’ve booked my test with should update me if there are any changes made to my test schedule, but for now, nothing. What I meant by not being able to cancel or rearrange was that I wasn’t able to cancel or rearrange without paying again... And I have looked on the driving centre website, no updates for those who will be affected this December. I remember for our last lockdown they’ve pushed all tests dates to a month, but don’t think they’ll do it for this one.
Right now I just have to try and fit in as many driving lessons as possible within the 2 weeks prior to my test.
Reply 3
Original post by glorydayes365
I’m currently living alone at the moment and so can’t really practice during the lockdown with any adults that can drive. Which just adds more stress ahaha.
I have contacted my instructor and he said that the driving centre that I’ve booked my test with should update me if there are any changes made to my test schedule, but for now, nothing. What I meant by not being able to cancel or rearrange was that I wasn’t able to cancel or rearrange without paying again... And I have looked on the driving centre website, no updates for those who will be affected this December. I remember for our last lockdown they’ve pushed all tests dates to a month, but don’t think they’ll do it for this one.
Right now I just have to try and fit in as many driving lessons as possible within the 2 weeks prior to my test.

You should be able to rearrange your test booking on the DVSA website! But just remember there will be no slots available now until March 31st.
Original post by glorydayes365
First of all, I have my driving test scheduled on the 16th of December a long time ago and I can’t believe that they won’t allow me to cancel or rearrange it considering I have only two weeks after the lockdown finishes (2nd December) to prepare for it. Considering how my driving instructor is going to make priority for those who have an upcoming test, he is going to have a very busy schedule as well as my busy school schedule. How is this going to work, I’m stressing so bad, I originally have planned that in one month and a half I have ample of time to prepare for the test, now I only have 2 weeks. I’m so so so stressed. If I fail I need to pay again just because the cut down my preparation time.
Is anyone else effected by this? Let me know how you’re going to cope with this and what plans you got to prepare in such a short amount of time.

Hey, I originally had my test for the 5th December but I moved it on sunday (29th nov) to the 16th Dec so i can squeeze in 10 hours of driving lessons before my test, so I think you are able to move your test date, however most test centres are fully booked up until march, I was lucky enough to get a cancellation date
I have a test booked for this Friday and the month long lockdown certainly didn't help, but I knew that it shouldn't throw me off too much and it hasn't. If not driving for a month meant that my driving worsened then that would indicate I wasn't ready for a test anyway, so I'd rearrange, but that's only looking at my personal circumstances.

I do lack confidence so naturally don't feel ready - even though I can drive reasonably well - but it wasn't until my instructor pointed out to me that I could rebook for next Spring and I still probably wouldn't feel ready with another 4 months of lessons on top, that I realised I may as well just go for it.
Goodluck! how many hours of lessons have you had
Original post by izzyhahahaha
Goodluck! how many hours of lessons have you had

I’ve had about 40 hours only. Recently started driving again and my instructor said that I was better than when I last left off before the lockdown which was a massive relief. I also downloaded the Driving TestNow app where they update me on driving tests that are cancelled so I can book that. Cost £18 but it’s worth it. Thank you for everyone’s advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending