The Student Room Group

How to deal with parents splitting up?

We are going to have the family living apart and its not easy. Its basically going to be a broken famliy. Has anyone else had their parents splitting up? Im 17 as well, my friends have had their parents splitting up when they were around 7 and at that age you don't really feel it as much but at 17 you understand its hard to deal with.

Scroll to see replies

You feel it no matter how old you are, it is never something that is easy to come to terms with and can realistically take decades to actually resolve both legally and emotionally.

My personal preference for dealing with it was distancing myself from any of the drama and trying to ignore the whole thing while getting on with my own life.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
You feel it no matter how old you are, it is never something that is easy to come to terms with and can realistically take decades to actually resolve both legally and emotionally.

My personal preference for dealing with it was distancing myself from any of the drama and trying to ignore the whole thing while getting on with my own life.

When you are 7 though you might not realise what is going on
Original post by Anonymous
When you are 7 though you might not realise what is going on

No, you realise. When a parent slams the front door so hard that it breaks the window you are intelligent enough to understand what that means.
I've had worse. At 7.
Reply 5
:troll:

I sent that on the wrong thread and now you are saying im a troll but im really not. This is a hard time
Reply 6
Original post by Bang Outta Order
I've had worse. At 7.

I know people have had worse to be honest but it still doesn't change my situation
I sent that on the wrong thread and now you are saying im a troll but im really not. This is a hard time

The mods can decide that :wavey:
I know people have had worse to be honest but it still doesn't change my situation

K

Advice won't change it either. All I can tell you is get a job and be prepared to move out if you have to. At 7 I was helplessly left with abusers. So you're in a better situation here.
Reply 9

How can they decide if I made a mistake or not?

I might actually report you now because you are falsely saying im trolling when you know nothing about what im going in life
How can they decide if I made a mistake or not?

We'll find out.
I might actually report you now because you are falsely saying im trolling when you know nothing about what im going in life

Please do if you so wish, use the little flag in the top right to report posts.
We'll find out.

They can will find out that I have not actually reported you so they should realise its a mistake
Please do if you so wish, use the little flag in the top right to report posts.

Sure
Original post by Bang Outta Order
K

Advice won't change it either. All I can tell you is get a job and be prepared to move out if you have to. At 7 I was helplessly left with abusers. So you're in a better situation here.

Yes and people in the same boat might be able to tell me how they coped which might help

was going to help but actually your attitude is trash

someone has a conversation with you and your best response is "Reported" lmao where did that come from
everyone has different opinions and as much as I wished they stayed together, I’m really glad it ended when it did. I’m 17 now (they separated about a year or two ago) and I’ve known that from at least age 10 that they were just not right together and I guess they stayed “together” for the sake of me (only child) and ngl my dad moved on pretty quickly(he has a daughter and gf/wife now). It’s a little bit awkward still but just think that if that’s what makes them happy then it is what it is. You are allowed to be sad though but yeah just try to be there for whichever parent you are staying with or help out I guess.
Yes and people in the same boat might be able to tell me how they coped which might help

I brought up what happened when I was 7 because you belittled what children go through. And I didn't bother getting into whether I've been in the same boat when I was 17 but I won't bother anyways
Original post by HoldThisL

someone has a conversation with you and your best response is "Reported" lmao where did that come from

Lmao right and I hate ppl who ask for advice but turn down advice. You asked for advice not a magic trick solution.
Original post by HoldThisL

I posted it on the wrong thread. Please help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending