The Student Room Group

how to move out at 16

tips? I have £1,300 saved up rn and I have a year left till I am 16.
Why do you want to move out?
Reply 2
Original post by Vapordave
Why do you want to move out?

my home life is just not normal at all, I've never met my other family and there's no good reason for it. my dad is very..... not right too... my mum is good but she just let's him keep doing what he does and it's not okay... he's borderline creepy and he's quite angry all the time and easily triggered
youre going to probably wait till college itll be hard
Original post by csmh1912

Do you have somewhere to move to?
Do you have a job?
Are you leaving school?
Are your parents okay with it?
my home life is just not normal at all, I've never met my other family and there's no good reason for it. my dad is very..... not right too... my mum is good but she just let's him keep doing what he does and it's not okay... he's borderline creepy and he's quite angry all the time and easily triggered

Are you in danger? If not you should tough it out until university. Moving out at 16 is very difficult.

If you are leaving school and want to rent somewhere then you may be able to save enough between now and then. However, real life is very expensive and takes full time work to pay the bills. So if you plan to study other than at night, you’ll need to stay with your parents until you can get into further education and student loans.

As for your dad, 15 years olds often conflict with their dads as they tend to be more strict and opinionated. Unless your dad is sexually or physically abusing you, I would say that it would be better to work on the relationship with him. Life is tough and the outside world won’t care about you at all. Most parents love their kids and want what’s best for them even if they don’t go about it in the best way.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Ruqaiyahhhh_
youre going to probably wait till college itll be hard

I'm looking into an apprenticeship, and I'll be turning 17 when oh start that.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by parkerrr
Do you have somewhere to move to?
Do you have a job?
Are you leaving school?
Are your parents okay with it?

no I have no family. I'm looking into an apprenticeship when I'm 16, my parents won't let me get a job but I sell stuff online for now. I'll be turning 17 when I leave school and tbh I don't think they rly care
Reply 9
Original post by FingersXedAgain
If you are leaving school and want to rent somewhere then you may be able to save enough between now and then. However, real life is very expensive and takes full time work to pay the bills. So if you plan to study other than at night, you’ll need to stay with your parents until you can get into further education and student loans.

As for your dad, 15 years olds often conflict with their dads as they tend to be more strict and opinionated. Unless your dad is sexually or physically abusing you, I would say that it would be better to work on the relationship with him. Life is tough and the outside world won’t care about you at all. Most parents love their kids and want what’s best for them even if they don’t go about it in the best way.

this is rly helpful. thanks! I don't think so though as it's always happened and this year has been really bad , I think I'll defo be able to save enough and I'm looking into an apprenticeship/mabye the army as I can live there and could do like engineering or something which can pay really well
this is rly helpful. thanks! I don't think so though as it's always happened and this year has been really bad , I think I'll defo be able to save enough and I'm looking into an apprenticeship/mabye the army as I can live there and could do like engineering or something which can pay really well

army would probably be your best bet as you will not be able to rent until you are 18

IIRC you don't actually get deployed until 18 so it doesn't actually solve your problem.

If you want to join the army then you need to speak to others in the army (not just the recruiting officers as they will only give you the rose tinted version).
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending