The Student Room Group

How important are political views in your friendships?

Scroll to see replies

Probably UKIP. I’ve met many conservatives in my life that didn’t agree with the racism in the party, however preferred the conservatives over the left due to taxation.
I think it can matter if they're extremist. I tried to chat with a far right wing guy before who ended up supporting Trump and thinking that the 2020 election was rigged and the Democratic party were in league with the Chinese. I disagreed with them as was called a 'leftard' and a 'dumb tart' so i decided that it was probably better we went our separate ways.
Reply 22
Original post by alexschmalex
I mean it would be pretty hard to be friends with someone who wanted people who looked like me deported, dehumanized or killed so yeah I'd say it's important

What kind of politics would that be?
Reply 23
Original post by Chloef1960112
no tories, UKIP, or anything else similar

Why no tories? Is that not extremely intolerant considering half the country or more are conservative? You think all these people are just not good people?
Reply 24
Original post by Bourgeois
I can't coexist with conspiracy theorists, vaccine fear mongers and the like.

Why are those things you have such a strong polarity to? Conspiracy theorists just entertain thoughts, ideas, and like to make connections between things. Why is that something you can't co-exist with? It's just ideas. So many things that we know as true today started off as a 'conspiracy', so that's something I'd think about.
Reply 25
Original post by Anonymous
also, someone who is centre right "for the economy" and votes conservative imo is just missing the point

Why would that be missing the point? The economy's state is important for absolutely everyone in the country. And the worse the economy is, the worse it will be for the poorest who will get hit the hardest.
Reply 26
Original post by Pomello
I think it can matter if they're extremist. I tried to chat with a far right wing guy before who ended up supporting Trump and thinking that the 2020 election was rigged and the Democratic party were in league with the Chinese. I disagreed with them as was called a 'leftard' and a 'dumb tart' so i decided that it was probably better we went our separate ways.

Is that an example of someone who is extremist? The guy you had a chat with is not an extremist for having those views (that the election was rigged, etc). If that was the case, that would mean that you think millions of people around the world are extremist. Because many hold those same views, and you'd be surprised to know that there's actually a whole load of evidence for a lot of these claims that are being made, for e.g. about a rigged election.
If it doesn't come up then non-extremists are okay.
If it does come up often we would have to be closer in views probably. I wouldn't be comfortable in a friendship where I was constantly debating someone who I was diametrically opposed to.
Original post by issawrap
By 'racist', do you just mean someone who speaks racist language?

Someone who has a hate against a particular race
Racist slurs can be said by the own race its targeted so it depends on the context
Is that an example of someone who is extremist? The guy you had a chat with is not an extremist for having those views (that the election was rigged, etc). If that was the case, that would mean that you think millions of people around the world are extremist. Because many hold those same views, and you'd be surprised to know that there's actually a whole load of evidence for a lot of these claims that are being made, for e.g. about a rigged election.

If there was evidence then Trump would have won.
As long as they're capable of shutting up about politics I don't mind.
Reply 31

I agree, this may not be extremist behaviour. The dictionary definition of "delusional" seems to fit the circumstances better.
Reply 32
Original post by Vapordave
If there was evidence then Trump would have won.

No, the world is not that simple or innocent. At all.

Trump has pretty much been fighting against almost the whole government. Everyone has tried to get rid of him for years, and have done EVERYTHING to get this to happen, in any way. From false allegations, baseless impeachment, and lies about 'russian collusion' for which no evidence was ever found for. A lot of illegal criminal activities have gone on behind the scenes, as well as a lot of threats against everyone including those on Trump's side. One by one, they all abandoned him as each one was either strongly threatened, or strongly bribed. They're all terrified for themselves and their families. One example is a woman in government (forgot her name) who is responsible of the transfer of presidency. She was forced to prematurely sign the papers before courts had even started because she was getting serious threats coming from everywhere. Threats against herself, her family, and even her dog.

There's a lot more to this but that's just a little hint of the place I'm coming from. Just one main thing you should know though - the Democrats are the most corrupt party to ever exist. Especially after these elections.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by meddad
I agree, this may not be extremist behaviour. The dictionary definition of "delusional" seems to fit the circumstances better.

Hmm. Reconsult the dictionary. Usually delusion involves a lack of evidence for belief.
Reply 34
Hmm. Reconsult the dictionary. Usually delusion involves a lack of evidence for belief.

Exactly
Reply 35
Original post by meddad
Exactly

Good that you know that! Now you can use the word more appropriately next time :smile:

Yes, they are extremist, and a minority now.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 37
Good that you know that! Now you can use the word more appropriately next time :smile:

I used it in context. You're hilarious 🤣
(edited 3 years ago)
So long as they don't attempt to force me into agreeing with their opinions, 'because if you don't agree you are a literal natzi'.

That probably excludes most neo-libral lefty/ lib dem types.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Pomello
and a minority now.

In a media-brainwashed person's mind, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending