The Student Room Group

Which university should I choose?

Hi,

I'm an international student planning to study MSc in the UK, my undergraduate degree is in Construction Engineering with Management and I have received the following offers:

1- University of Glasgow: Civil Engineering & Management
2- Southampton University: Civil Engineering
3- Still waiting a response from Edinburgh University: Structural and Fire Safety Engineering

Which university is better? which one is better in civil engineering? do you think mixing the course with management is a feature? which university will I enjoy more? What about each city? all the details you can share is much appreciated.

Also, I got offers from Exeter and Loughborough. I didn't like Exeter, Loughborough seems like an enjoyable university but I'm the kind of person who prefers to live in cities in addition to the fact that it is NOT a Russell Group member.

Thank you all
Reply 1
Original post by AmmarZ07
Hi,

I'm an international student planning to study MSc in the UK, my undergraduate degree is in Construction Engineering with Management and I have received the following offers:

3- Still waiting a response from Edinburgh University: Structural and Fire Safety Engineering

Which university is better? which one is better in civil engineering? do you think mixing the course with management is a feature? which university will I enjoy more? What about each city? all the details you can share is much appreciated.

Also, I got offers from Exeter and Loughborough. I didn't like Exeter, Loughborough seems like an enjoyable university but I'm the kind of person who prefers to live in cities in addition to the fact that it is NOT a Russell Group member.

Thank you all

Just saying even though Loughborough isn’t an RG it’s ranked 6th in the uk above the majority of the RG unis
Reply 2
Original post by Tashax2
Just saying even though Loughborough isn’t an RG it’s ranked 6th in the uk above the majority of the RG unis

You are right actually. But this is not the main reason for not choosing lboro, it is the location.

I’ve already mentioned that it seems enjoyable. I’ve never been to any of them but I feel in me according to what I saw on the internet, as a university, I may enjoy the most, but the location doesn’t fit with my preferences.

Thank you for your reply!
Reply 3
I live in glasgow, we are generally pretty friendly and the areas around the uni are quite nice like the west end. However Theres a few areas I’d probably avoid but people who have lived here will tell you and help. There’s a lot of pubs/ bars along with nightclubs if that’s what your looking for and also a lot of other things to do in town. I can’t tell you much about the uni as i’m also applying this year. I know some people avoid it because it’s ‘competitive’ even when your in your course and some people don’t want that type of stress. But I think it just depends like most people who live in glasgow will apply to Glasgow because it’s one of the best unis here and they like it here.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ototot
I live in glasgow, we are generally pretty friendly and the areas around the uni are quite nice like the west end. However Theres a few areas I’d probably avoid but people who have lived here will tell you and help. There’s a lot of pubs/ bars along with nightclubs if that’s what your looking for and also a lot of other things to do in town. I can’t tell you much about the uni as i’m also applying this year. I know some people avoid it because it’s ‘competitive’ even when your in your course and some people don’t want that type of stress. But I think it just depends like most people who live in glasgow will apply to Glasgow because it’s one of the best unis here and they like it here.

To be honest, I care a lot about safety as this is my first time there and alone, I'm NOT looking for pubs/bars or nightclubs. In addition, I'm really into sport and keeping my body in best conditions so that stuff is not what I'm looking for. I really like what I read about people in Glasgow ( People make Glasgow ) but I'm just concerned about ( Safety, weather which I know it is freezing, challenging accent ). Overall, I feel very close to accept its offer.

I know it can be competitive, but in the course it self, what is really meant by " competitive "?

Thank you for you reply!
Reply 5
To be honest, I care a lot about safety as this is my first time there and alone, I'm NOT looking for pubs/bars or nightclubs. In addition, I'm really into sport and keeping my body in best conditions so that stuff is not what I'm looking for. I really like what I read about people in Glasgow ( People make Glasgow ) but I'm just concerned about ( Safety, weather which I know it is freezing, challenging accent ). Overall, I feel very close to accept its offer.

I know it can be competitive, but in the course it self, what is really meant by " competitive "?

Thank you for you reply!

All the parts you want to avoid are kinda on the outskirts of glasgow but they aren’t even that bad the worst bits are probably further out I’d say. The west end where glasgow is would probably suit you really well as there’s not much going on if that makes sense like it’s where most young people live and there’s pubs but I wouldn’t say they are like rowdy or anything. There’s a lot of gyms as well and I'm
pretty sure some accommodation have gyms but if not there will probably be one close by. In actual town is where you’ll find like nightclubs etc it’s easily avoidable. The weather isnt great I won’t even lie but you do get used to it you just need to remember to bring either a umbrella or jacket out. It depends where you come from but we count like 20 degrees as warm you will see people wearing shorts in summer. In winter it’s just really rainy and a bit icy we don’t get much snow especially in glasgow the coolest it got this year has been -9 and that’s the coldest I’ve ever experienced. When I say competitive I just mean like you might find yourself being out under a bit of pressure by the university and the people around you. But I wouldn’t say it’s anything really bad. There will also probably be a lot of societies which are basically clubs that you can join so you join like the football team. Tbh I can’t say much about our accent as I’m used to it I know some people find it difficult but you’ll probably get used to it quickly. Everyone has different accents like I’ll have a different one from someone who lives in a different area of glasgow. If your really struggling I’m sure someone can help.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Ototot
All the parts you want to avoid are kinda on the outskirts of glasgow but they aren’t even that bad the worst bits are probably further out I’d say. The west end where glasgow is would probably suit you really well as there’s not much going on if that makes sense like it’s where most young people live and there’s pubs but I wouldn’t say they are like rowdy or anything. There’s a lot of gyms as well and I'm
pretty sure some accommodation have gyms but if not there will probably be one close by. In actual town is where you’ll find like nightclubs etc it’s easily avoidable. The weather isnt great I won’t even lie but you do get used to it you just need to remember to bring either a umbrella or jacket out. It depends where you come from but we count like 20 degrees as warm you will see people wearing shorts in summer. In winter it’s just really rainy and a bit icy we don’t get much snow especially in glasgow the coolest it got this year has been -9 and that’s the coldest I’ve ever experienced. When I say competitive I just mean like you might find yourself being out under a bit of pressure by the university and the people around you. But I wouldn’t say it’s anything really bad. There will also probably be a lot of societies which are basically clubs that you can join so you join like the football team. Tbh I can’t say much about our accent as I’m used to it I know some people find it difficult but you’ll probably get used to it quickly. Everyone has different accents like I’ll have a different one from someone who lives in a different area of glasgow. If your really struggling I’m sure someone can help.

Your reply means a lot I want to say Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm coming from a really hot country ( which I hate the most ). So overall, would you recommend an international student to choose Glasgow over the others mentioned above? and is there any difference of being graduated from a Scottish university rather than those in England?
Reply 7
Your reply means a lot I want to say Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm coming from a really hot country ( which I hate the most ). So overall, would you recommend an international student to choose Glasgow over the others mentioned above? and is there any difference of being graduated from a Scottish university rather than those in England?

Both qualifications are exactly the same but in England you do 3 years and in Scotland you do 4 for undergraduate and then an extra for both as a postgraduate. I’d say that is the biggest difference between the 2. One really good thing about glasgow is it’s near a lot of things same with Edinburgh if you want to go to Edinburgh for the day from glasgow it takes just over an out on the train. We also have really nice views in the countryside lol especially if you go the highlands. There’s also a lot of people in glasgow from all different places across the world so your bound to find people you like. I’m not really sure what else to say lol I’ve lived here my whole life It’s hard to know what’s good and what’s bad lol. But seriously if you even go to Edinburgh then the people are probably just as nice. I don’t go there very often so I can’t say much about it but there’s a lot of sightseeing and stuff you can do there that you might not find in glasgow. It’s no problem I’m happy to help anyone! Also good luck I’m sure whatever you’ve choose will be amazing
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ototot
Both qualifications are exactly the same but in England you do 3 years and in Scotland you do 4 for undergraduate and then an extra for both as a postgraduate. I’d say that is the biggest difference between the 2. One really good thing about glasgow is it’s near a lot of things same with Edinburgh if you want to go to Edinburgh for the day from glasgow it takes just over an out on the train. We also have really nice views in the countryside lol especially if you go the highlands. There’s also a lot of people in glasgow from all different places across the world so your bound to find people you like. I’m not really sure what else to say lol I’ve lived here my whole life It’s hard to know what’s good and what’s bad lol. But seriously if you even go to Edinburgh then the people are probably just as nice. I don’t go there very often so I can’t say much about it but there’s a lot of sightseeing and stuff you can do there that you might not find in glasgow. It’s no problem I’m happy to help anyone!

As I’ve already completed my undergraduate degree international, there will be no difference to me as for postgraduate both are 12months. You are absolutely right about the views and highlands as I watch a lot on YouTube and it looks amazing. One stupid question, is there any GOOD gym close to the uni? Or do they offer a good one? I can’t rely on accommodation gym as I’m getting professional and I want to keep it up.

Appreciate your help bro 🙏🏻🤍
Reply 9
As I’ve already completed my undergraduate degree international, there will be no difference to me as for postgraduate both are 12months. You are absolutely right about the views and highlands as I watch a lot on YouTube and it looks amazing. One stupid question, is there any GOOD gym close to the uni? Or do they offer a good one? I can’t rely on accommodation gym as I’m getting professional and I want to keep it up.

Appreciate your help bro 🙏🏻🤍

I know nothing about gyms lol sorry I can’t help with that I’m sure someone else might know something or there might be something online about it.
Reply 10
Original post by Ototot
I know nothing about gyms lol sorry I can’t help with that I’m sure someone else might know something or there might be something online about it.

No problem you have provided much help.

Thank you🤍🙏🏻
Hi,

Thank you all

Hi @AmmarZ07 :hello:

My name's Dan and I'm based in the postgraduate team here at Loughborough - congratulations on your offers!

I noticed a few points raised in this thread about making your decision, and although Loughborough isn't a city or part of the Russell Group, I thought I'd provide some more information anyway in-case it's useful!

You're absolutely right that Loughborough is not a city, instead we are a medium-sized market town, so if you do really want to live in a city, then that may be best for you. However, we sit in-between the cities of Leicester and Nottingham if you wanted to visit a city for the day/night - Leicester is just 10 minutes away by train. Being a university town, Loughborough has a friendly community atmosphere - you're bound to see someone you know in and around campus or town! It's also really easy to get around, as town centre is just 15 minutes' walk from campus. The campus is also a great place to study, at 440 acres it's the largest single-site campus in the UK, with everything you need as a student and much more. We recently produced a campus tour video if you'd like to take a look!

You also mentioned safety - we have a 24/7/365 Security team that patrols the campus and town to make sure that everyone is well looked after.

In terms of sport/fitness, our campus is home to the country's largest concentration of world-class facilities across a wide range of sports. I believe you specifically mentioned gyms, so you may like to look at our Holywell Fitness Centre and Powerbase gyms.

Finally, whilst Loughborough is not a member of the Russell Group, the University is ranked in the top 10 in every national league table, as well as being ranked ahead of two thirds of the 24 universities that comprise the Russell Group!

I hope this helps!

All the best,
- Dan :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Loughborough Postgraduate Study
Hi @AmmarZ07 :hello:

My name's Dan and I'm based in the postgraduate team here at Loughborough - congratulations on your offers!

I noticed a few points raised in this thread about making your decision, and although Loughborough isn't a city or part of the Russell Group, I thought I'd provide some more information anyway in-case it's useful!

You're absolutely right that Loughborough is not a city, instead we are a medium-sized market town, so if you do really want to live in a city, then that may be best for you. However, we sit in-between the cities of Leicester and Nottingham if you wanted to visit a city for the day/night - Leicester is just 10 minutes away by train. Being a university town, Loughborough has a friendly community atmosphere - you're bound to see someone you know in and around campus or town! It's also really easy to get around, as town centre is just 15 minutes' walk from campus. The campus is also a great place to study, at 440 acres it's the largest single-site campus in the UK, with everything you need as a student and much more. We recently produced a campus tour video if you'd like to take a look!

You also mentioned safety - we have a 24/7/365 Security team that patrols the campus and town to make sure that everyone is well looked after.

In terms of sport/fitness, our campus is home to the country's largest concentration of world-class facilities across a wide range of sports. I believe you specifically mentioned gyms, so you may like to look at our Holywell Fitness Centre and Powerbase gyms.

Finally, whilst Loughborough is not a member of the Russell Group, the University is ranked in the top 10 in every national league table, as well as being ranked ahead of two thirds of the 24 universities that comprise the Russell Group!

I hope this helps!

All the best,
- Dan :smile:

I will consider your reply seriously, I will have a look on the video.

In terms of gyms, I’ve already looked a lot, PowerBase is the best no doubt. I will reconsider the university along with my choice for now ( Glasgow ).

Thank you!
I will consider your reply seriously, I will have a look on the video.

In terms of gyms, I’ve already looked a lot, PowerBase is the best no doubt. I will reconsider the university along with my choice for now ( Glasgow ).

Thank you!

No problem, just let me know if you have any more questions! :smile:

-Dan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending