The Student Room Group

My go prescribed me an inhaler for my breathlessness.

And he said if it works for my breathlessness then I have asthma. Is this true?
He did a spirometry test which was fine but I’m just wondering that it may be a different condition since the confirmation seemed vague.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SparkleFace
And he said if it works for my breathlessness then I have asthma. Is this true?
He did a spirometry test which was fine but I’m just wondering that it may be a different condition since the confirmation seemed vague.

As we aren't medical professionals, it really isn't our place to say whether the diagnosis your doctor has suggested is true or false. We also aren't in a position to diagnose you with alternative conditions. If you're unsure, then you should pop back to your GP and ask for further tests or more information, or speak to a different doctor and ask for a second opinion.
Reply 2
My GP did a similar thing. Just follow the gp advice and give it a try if you're out of breath. If you have any concerns that you want to discuss you can always ring them.up again
Original post by DrawTheLine
As we aren't medical professionals, it really isn't our place to say whether the diagnosis your doctor has suggested is true or false. We also aren't in a position to diagnose you with alternative conditions. If you're unsure, then you should pop back to your GP and ask for further tests or more information, or speak to a different doctor and ask for a second opinion.

I know, I’ve already got my next appointment in a few days. Im just wondering whether it would be fine to ask my go to get more tests?

Original post by Amy06
My GP did a similar thing. Just follow the gp advice and give it a try if you're out of breath. If you have any concerns that you want to discuss you can always ring them.up again

Hi! I’ve used it for a while and I’ve noticed that it does make it better especially at night but sometimes I’m still breathless and some chest pains. And I’ve had breathlessness for almost 8 years but the reason why I haven’t gone to my go about is that they were very infrequent and mild, it’s only been these recent months that they’ve gotten worse. I was thinking if someone had asthma, could they survive that long? I’ve got my appointment soon and will see what my go says though. Thank you!
Reply 4
Hi! I’ve used it for a while and I’ve noticed that it does make it better especially at night but sometimes I’m still breathless and some chest pains. And I’ve had breathlessness for almost 8 years but the reason why I haven’t gone to my go about is that they were very infrequent and mild, it’s only been these recent months that they’ve gotten worse. I was thinking if someone had asthma, could they survive that long? I’ve got my appointment soon and will see what my go says though. Thank you!

You could have mild asthma, not all cases are severe. You could absolutely survive that long.
Dont completely close off the idea that you have asthma. Use the medication and definetly look more into the condition, if you still are having concerns, go back and speak to your GP.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
You could have mild asthma, not all cases are severe. You could absolutely survive that long.
Dont completely close off the idea that you have asthma. Use the medication and definetly look more into the condition, if you still are having concerns, go back and speak to your GP.

Okay thanks!
I was thinking if someone had asthma, could they survive that long?

Of course. Some people have very mild asthma and only need their inhaler a few times a year, if that. I only get symptoms if I'm exercising in the cold (wearing masks has actually helped a lot, funnily enough)
Original post by black tea
Of course. Some people have very mild asthma and only need their inhaler a few times a year, if that. I only get symptoms if I'm exercising in the cold (wearing masks has actually helped a lot, funnily enough)

Ahh I see.
Do you know whether asthma can be caused by injuries? Like by falling?
lol, I've had mild asthma for 20 year odds, slightly tight chest once in a blue moon and never had anything i'd call an attack. I generally get prescribed and keep a Ventolin inhaler about anyway. I prob use it more for hangovers than anything else...
Ahh I see.

No, injuries don't cause asthma.
Reply 10
seriously? so they couldn't even properly diagnose you, what the ****? like, they just guessed? they are so useless.
Reply 11
Ahh I see.

Just checking - you don't smoke, do you?
Original post by Ciel.
seriously? so they couldn't even properly diagnose you, what the ****? like, they just guessed? they are so useless.

Doing a trial of treatment is often used to test for asthma alongside other things. :redface:
Reply 13
Original post by Pathway
Doing a trial of treatment is often used to test for asthma alongside other things. :redface:

good to know, i won't bother then, lol. they can't do anything right.
Original post by Ciel.
good to know, i won't bother then, lol. they can't do anything right.

:hugs:
No, injuries don't cause asthma.

Ah okay then, I guess that’s definitely out of the picture.

Original post by Ciel.

I’m not sure anymore with gps ngl
He said if it works then you have asthma but I feel like that can’t just be it since it could be caused by something else. Although I never crossed out asthma as well. We’ll see what happens :redface:

Original post by Kerzen
Just checking - you don't smoke, do you?

Nope. Definitely not.
Also wondering whether inhaler medicine makes your mouth sweet? Since I’ve been using it it’s like my mouth has been doused in sugar.
You would expect spirometry in asthma to be essentially normal unless it’s particularly severe or you were having an acute attack. Having a positive response to inhalers can also support the diagnosis.

Your GP is taking reasonable actions.

He said if it works then you have asthma but I feel like that can’t just be it since it could be caused by something else.

But an asthma inhaler would probably not help if it's something else?
Also wondering whether inhaler medicine makes your mouth sweet? Since I’ve been using it it’s like my mouth has been doused in sugar.

Idk what inhaler you have, but my salbutamol inhaler doesn't do that
But an asthma inhaler would probably not help if it's something else?

Idk what inhaler you have, but my salbutamol inhaler doesn't do that

Hmm that’s strange. I’ll bring it up to my gp about the sweet taste.
Yes, that’s what he said, he said if you’ve got something else then the inhaler shouldn’t help but I sometimes get chest pains too with the breathlessness so that’s why I’m uncertain.

Quick Reply

Latest