The Student Room Group

4 months of urinary incontinence I believe ....?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to have a general chat on health and what I am experiencing at the moment -which has been quite rough the past couple of months. I would also greatly appreciate if anyone has experienced the same thing as me and to let me know what their experince was like?

So, cut the story short. I have been struggling to release all my urine for around 4 months now. I have been referred to get a transvaginal scan and to see a Urologist. I am just quite worried as I have never experienced this before and I am quite young I am only 26 years old. At first, I thought it was a Urine infection but I have done all the necessary tests that I needed to take and they found everything normal.

I also wanted to ask can a transvaginal scan show if you have cervical cancer?

I appreciate each and every one of your comments hopefully I can have a medical student help me out here!
Oh hey, we're in almost the exact same situation right now! I have finally been referred to an ultrasound and an urologist after 5 months, for reference I'm a 22 year old female. I'm not sure how much help you can get on a student forum, even when asking medical students. The only suggestion I can give you right now is to not panic and try and focus on something else. Trust that the docs will take care of you and do everything in their power to help you. There's nothing else you can do at this very moment and I know it's difficult but don't freak yourself out with thoughts of all the horrible things it could be...
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Oh hey, we're in almost the exact same situation right now! I have finally been referred to an ultrasound and an urologist after 5 months, for reference I'm a 22 year old female. I'm not sure how much help you can get on a student forum, even when asking medical students. The only suggestion I can give you right now is to not panic and try and focus on something else. Trust that the docs will take care of you and do everything in their power to help you. There's nothing else you can do at this very moment and I know it's difficult but don't freak yourself out with thoughts of all the horrible things it could be...

Omg I am so glad I am not alone! It is so frustrating isn't it? Do you also feel like you constantly need to go pee? I know you're right I need to stop panicking. Thank you for your kind words and bless your soul! you are so young, I am sure we will be sorted soon at least we got there in the end. Your comment has made me more reassured so thank you :smile:
Omg I am so glad I am not alone! It is so frustrating isn't it? Do you also feel like you constantly need to go pee? I know you're right I need to stop panicking. Thank you for your kind words and bless your soul! you are so young, I am sure we will be sorted soon at least we got there in the end. Your comment has made me more reassured so thank you :smile:

It really is. My situation is a bit different as I was treated for an urine infection at first, my symptoms went away for about a week and then came back. None of my tests have ever shown anything, I've had all symptoms from A-Z but never consistently. At the moment I have no symptoms except for cloudiness. I also had a lot of issues with my bladder as a child so it might be this coming to bite me in the butt. I'm not sure, but we're on the right path. As long as it doesn't get worse you can't really do much but wait for your appointments. Whatever happens, happens... and then at least you'll be able to get treatment for it rather than wondering what it could be!
Reply 4
You can just ask your urologist directly about the chances of it being cervical cancer.

But yes, I have difficulties in this area also, but my cause is neurological in origin.

Feel free to PM me if you want.
Reply 5
Thank you
Reply 6
It really is. My situation is a bit different as I was treated for an urine infection at first, my symptoms went away for about a week and then came back. None of my tests have ever shown anything, I've had all symptoms from A-Z but never consistently. At the moment I have no symptoms except for cloudiness. I also had a lot of issues with my bladder as a child so it might be this coming to bite me in the butt. I'm not sure, but we're on the right path. As long as it doesn't get worse you can't really do much but wait for your appointments. Whatever happens, happens... and then at least you'll be able to get treatment for it rather than wondering what it could be!

Same really, my urine has been cloudy for months. But we will see what happens! Good luck to us both 😊
Reply 7
Original post by Pathway
You can just ask your urologist directly about the chances of it being cervical cancer.

But yes, I have difficulties in this area also, but my cause is neurological in origin.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Do you have symptoms such as constantly needing to go pee?
Reply 8
Do you have symptoms such as constantly needing to go pee?

No, my bladder doesn't always tell me and when it does it's usually very urgent. Something to do with the signals not being sent/received properly, I forget how my urologist explained it. :redface:
Reply 9
Original post by Pathway
No, my bladder doesn't always tell me and when it does it's usually very urgent. Something to do with the signals not being sent/received properly, I forget how my urologist explained it. :redface:

Ah, I am sorry to hear that! I hope you have seen an improvement 😊
Ah, I am sorry to hear that! I hope you have seen an improvement 😊

Not especially, but I was never under the impression that it would improve, the nature of my underlying condition is not gonna go away so this particular symptom set won't either. Some days are better/more manageable than others though. :dontknow: I was taught to self-catheterise by my bladder nurse to deal with it.

It's mostly just symptom management for me personally, rather than looking for a cure, if that makes sense.
Thank you for sharing this with me. I hope you're symptoms become even more manageable each day. I can only imagine how frustrating this can get at times 😊
Can I ask why you think you might have cervical cancer? Cervical cancer wouldn't cause issues with passing urine. To answer your question directly, a transvaginal ultrasound would not be the way to diagnose cervical cancer. Have you had any smears yet?
I got a smear test done last year everything came back clear, but I was adviced to have another ome but the nurse was not very helpful and I explained to her my doctor suggested for me to have one, because I had pink/red spotting a week before my period? It was very light and has stopped now. However I am assuming a transvaginal scan can detect cancer or anything abnormal down there?
I got a smear test done last year everything came back clear, but I was adviced to have another one but the nurse was not very helpful and I explained to her my doctor suggested for me to have one, because I had pink/red spotting a week before my period? Yet she cancelled my appointment and told me they will not take it serious and will bin it and you had one last year :frown: the bleeding was very light and has stopped now. However I am assuming a transvaginal scan can detect cancer or anything abnormal down there?

I mean I am kinda glad I didn't get it done by her she was awful. I just hope everything goes well at the scan. Fingers crossed.
I think I am just panicking and overthinking I just need to stop 😫 and I guess she didn't help the situation at all. I have done a full blood count and that came back clear and mri on the pelvic. All clear.
I got a smear test done last year everything came back clear, but I was adviced to have another one but the nurse was not very helpful and I explained to her my doctor suggested for me to have one, because I had pink/red spotting a week before my period? Yet she cancelled my appointment and told me they will not take it serious and will bin it and you had one last year :frown: the bleeding was very light and has stopped now. However I am assuming a transvaginal scan can detect cancer or anything abnormal down there?

I mean I am kinda glad I didn't get it done by her she was awful. I just hope everything goes well at the scan. Fingers crossed.

A transvaginal USS would not be the best way of looking for cervical cancer and it that is something you are worried (not saying you should be, just sounds like you), you should speak to your GP again and probably have that smear.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest