The Student Room Group

should i apply to UoN now or wait till clearing?

hii :smile:
so, i’ve applied to reading, brighton, surrey, westminster and uni of west london. when applying to these unis i didn’t think i could get into anywhere better. however, after recieving my offers i think i’ve limited myself.

i want to apply to uni of notts. should i apply now, or wait till clearing starts? i don’t want to do the wrong thing!
i want to study psychology which i know is very popular.

please can someone help me out?
(edited 3 years ago)
You can apply through adjustments.
Don’t wait for clearing as all bets are off (you can’t go back to the offers you already have as these will be defined if you enter clearing) and you may have to go to a uni you don’t really want to or re-apply for the year after
1) Check you fulfil Nottingham's entry requirements for that course.
2) Phone Nottingham and see if they will accept an application - or if that course is now closed.
3) Ask for an email confirmation that they will make you an offer if you apply at this stage.
4) Only then should you dump all your other offers and go through Extra to pick up that offer.
5) Think very carefully before you do this.
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
You can apply through adjustments.

It's ADJUSTMENT. It is not plural.
And that is only relevant if a) an applicant exceeds the grades required by their Firm choice, b) that course has spaces in August.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
1) Check you fulfil Nottingham's entry requirements for that course.
2) Phone Nottingham and see if they will accept an application - or if that course is now closed.
3) Ask for an email confirmation that they will make you an offer if you apply at this stage.
4) Only then should you dump all your other offers and go through Extra to pick up that offer.
5) Think very carefully before you do this.

this is really clear, thank you! is the email confirmation incase they don’t stand by their word?
Original post by ouaei
is the email confirmation in case they don’t stand by their word?

Yes - because once you have dropped your other offers there is no way back.
the good unis are gonna close their applications and probably won’t be in for clearing so you should do it now tbh
Reply 7
Yes - because once you have dropped your other offers there is no way back.

good to know, thanks!
Original post by Moonlight rain
the good unis are gonna close their applications and probably won’t be in for clearing so you should do it now tbh

yeah, that makes sense. thank you (:
Original post by ouaei
so, i’ve applied to reading, brighton, surrey, westminster and uni of west london. when applying to these unis i didn’t think i could get into anywhere better. however, after recieving my offers i think i’ve limited myself.

i want to apply to uni of notts. should i apply now, or wait till clearing starts? i don’t want to do the wrong thing!

On top of the above advice - speak to your favourite from your current 5 offers and ask if they will honour their offer if you decline them to use extra but change your mind (or are rejected) and add them back as an extra choice.

Many universities will have this as their standard policy and will give you reassurance that you aren’t risking your offer from them if you decline it to use extra.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
On top of the above advice - speak to your favourite from your current 5 offers and ask if they will honour their offer if you decline them to use extra but change your mind (or are rejected) and add them back as an extra choice.

Many universities will have this as their standard policy and will give you reassurance that you aren’t risking your offer from them if you decline it to use extra.

hey, i'm sorry if I sound really dim asking these questions, my college hasn't helped me with any UCAS/uni stuff at all. how come I have to swap notts for my favourite? reading is my best choice, so surely I should get rid of one of the ones I care about less? thank you
Original post by ouaei
hey, i'm sorry if I sound really dim asking these questions, my college hasn't helped me with any UCAS/uni stuff at all. how come I have to swap notts for my favourite? reading is my best choice, so surely I should get rid of one of the ones I care about less? thank you

You have to drop ALL of your offers if you want to use Extra.
This isnt 'in addition to' choice, it becomes your ONLY choice.
Therefore Reading and everything else goes if you want to apply to Nottingham through Extra - this is WHY you ned to contact them first and get it in writing.

UCAS info on Extra - read it all : https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
You have to drop ALL of your offers if you want to use Extra.
This isnt 'in addition to' choice, it becomes your ONLY choice.
Therefore Reading and everything else goes if you want to apply to Nottingham through Extra - this is WHY you ned to contact them first and get it in writing.

UCAS info on Extra - read it all : https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices

yeah, i definitely don't want to throw my reading place away on a whim. i'll make sure to get it in writing. thanks :smile:
Original post by ouaei

You have to decline ALL 5 offers to yse extra.

But if notts rejected you in extra (or they made you an offer and you changed your mind and didn’t want to accept it) then you can then add another different extra choice. Extra only gives you one extra choice but if you are rejected or decline an extra offer then you can reuse that choice over and over again.

If you like reading then speak to them before you decline your offers. They might be willing to honour your offer if you apply back to them using your extra choice later in the year. IF that’s the case then declining your 5 choices is less risky. This might be helpful if Nottingham aren’t able to offer any guarantees that you would get an offer before you add them as an extra choice.
It's ADJUSTMENT. It is not plural.
And that is only relevant if a) an applicant exceeds the grades required by their Firm choice, b) that course has spaces in August.

Well they did say they think they’re going to do better than what their offers are....
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
You have to decline ALL 5 offers to yse extra.

But if notts rejected you in extra (or they made you an offer and you changed your mind and didn’t want to accept it) then you can then add another different extra choice. Extra only gives you one extra choice but if you are rejected or decline an extra offer then you can reuse that choice over and over again.

If you like reading then speak to them before you decline your offers. They might be willing to honour your offer if you apply back to them using your extra choice later in the year. IF that’s the case then declining your 5 choices is less risky. This might be helpful if Nottingham aren’t able to offer any guarantees that you would get an offer before you add them as an extra choice.

hey, really sorry to keep banging on. one of my choices hasn't sent their decision yet. so can i cancel that one to add notts? sorry again, i find this really confusing
Original post by ouaei
hey, really sorry to keep banging on. one of my choices hasn't sent their decision yet. so can i cancel that one to add notts? sorry again, i find this really confusing

Yes you can - you have to withdrawn from all choices whether you had an offer or not to use Extra.
(You cannot just substitute Notts for the one choice where you have not had a decision)
But, please, check with Nottingham before you do anything.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Yes you can - you have to withdrawn from all choices whether you had an offer or not to use Extra.
(You cannot just substitute Notts for the one choice where you have not had a decision)
But, please, check with Nottingham before you do anything.

i will i promise! thank you :smile:
Original post by ouaei

Hey @ouaei,

It's great to hear you've applied to Reading Uni! I'm in my third year and I've really been enjoying it.

If there are any questions you've got or there is anything we can help you with please feel free to let us know! 😊
From,

Amina
Original post by ouaei

Hi there!

It's great to hear you have applied to Surrey for Psychology. I thought I could provide you more information about Psychology here. I am a second year Psychology student, so I can answer any questions you have about Psychology, uni and everything in general!

If you also look at these two links you will be able to delve deeper into the psychology department and look at the facilities and equipment that will be available to you:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psychology
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psyc...-and-equipment

Furthermore if you are unsure about studying Psychology then see this link for 5 reasons why you should https://www.surrey.ac.uk/news/five-r...chology-surrey

Also here is some information from me about the standard and quality of teaching here at Surrey: : In the Psychology department, the department has always maintained a high standard. I feel as though I am really benefitting from the teaching here and learning new things. The lecturers have always been quick in helping me. They also have contact hours which you can attend and ask them any questions you may have. Although this is in the Psychology department - I have no doubt that the teaching will be great and supportive. For other support around the uni, there is a health and wellbeing centre which can help with any needs such as sexual health, mental health or any queries you may have. There is also a Career service team that can help with CVs and cover letters and even interviews. I am currently applying for placements in HR and the career team have been extremely helpful in reading my CVs and helping me improve it to enable me to get through the application process of many HR roles.

As for applying for Notts, if you want to apply and have you heart set on it then I think you should definitely apply because even if you don't get in you can always try to apply again through clearing :smile:

I hope this helps and give you some more information and options when it comes to considering unis for psychology ! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Becca

Quick Reply

Latest