The Student Room Group

What is Material Science

Can someone please explain to me what it actually is, for example give me a tangible definition? Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by dugdale456
Can someone please explain to me what it actually is, for example give me a tangible definition? Thanks for your help :smile:

A field that deals with the study and discovery of materials for different uses and purposes

Any kind of man made material was made through materials science
It's the science of materials, simply :tongue: Basically it's the physics, chemistry and engineering of materials, and then how you apply that knowledge to develop new materials or to select the best materials for usage in particular applications.

You'll learn about the mechanical, optical, thermal, and electronic properties of materials in a degree in materials science, particularly stuff like stress and strain in materials, crystal structure, material fatigue and failure, semiconductor physics, etc.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
It's the science of materials, simply :tongue: Basically it's the physics, chemistry and engineering of materials, and then how you apply that knowledge to develop new materials or to select the best materials for usage in particular applications.

You'll learn about the mechanical, optical, thermal, and electronic properties of materials in a degree in materials science, particularly stuff like stress and strain in materials, crystal structure, material fatigue and failure, semiconductor physics, etc.

Thanks for your answer!

Do you know anything about how they select the materials that go in batteries? Or the future of battery materials? If so I would be really interested if you know of any links etc..
Reply 4
Original post by Xeryxer
A field that deals with the study and discovery of materials for different uses and purposes

Any kind of man made material was made through materials science

Thanks for your reply!

Could you explain to me what a material is, is it something like wood or is sodium for example a material or is it an element?
Reply 5
Thanks for your reply!

Could you explain to me what a material is, is it something like wood or is sodium for example a material or is it an element?

So like graphite for example :smile:

Elements would be a part of chemistry whereas material science looks at the structure of compounds and uses that to make new materials :smile:
Thanks for your answer!

Do you know anything about how they select the materials that go in batteries? Or the future of battery materials? If so I would be really interested if you know of any links etc..

Materials for energy storage is a big area of research currently in materials science, so definitely relevant to the field.

Thanks for your reply!

Both are materials depending on the composition and scale of things. Materials considers things from meso (nano to micro) up macro (whole object type things, e.g. material properties of a steel beam) scale. The exact focus can vary a bit, the "science" side tends to focus on nano and micro scales of things while the "engineering" side tends to focus on the larger scales and applications. But the two areas aren't rigidly divided, which is why most such degrees tend to be called something like "materials science and engineering" rather than just materials science or materials engineering.
Reply 7
Original post by Xeryxer
So like graphite for example :smile:

Elements would be a part of chemistry whereas material science looks at the structure of compounds and uses that to make new materials :smile:

Oh okay so it being a lattice made up of atoms that is the material?
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Materials for energy storage is a big area of research currently in materials science, so definitely relevant to the field.

Both are materials depending on the composition and scale of things. Materials considers things from meso (nano to micro) up macro (whole object type things, e.g. material properties of a steel beam) scale. The exact focus can vary a bit, the "science" side tends to focus on nano and micro scales of things while the "engineering" side tends to focus on the larger scales and applications. But the two areas aren't rigidly divided, which is why most such degrees tend to be called something like "materials science and engineering" rather than just materials science or materials engineering.

Ah thanks for explaining. Side question what is YOUR favourite material? and why?

Also have you studied this because I feel like you know a lot!
Ah thanks for explaining. Side question what is YOUR favourite material? and why?

Also have you studied this because I feel like you know a lot!

I took a couple materials modules while I was studying engineering, albeit not materials engineering specifically (also I started a condensed matter physics module, but that was the year I withdrew from the course so I never got to the end of it :redface:). I was also interested in going into materials science before I started that course for a while anyway :smile:

I don't think I have a "favourite" material, although unusual states of matter (e.g. superfluids) are pretty interesting, as are the properties of the various classes of materials covered by the "soft matter" designation :wink:

Hi there,

I am currently an engineering student at the University of Portsmouth.

To put it simply, Material science or also know as material engineering is the study of design, discovery, and development of both existing and new materials.

This involves research and discovery, including the creation of more cost-effective and environmentally-friendly lightweight composite materials, for use within the automotive, marine, aerospace, and construction industries. Partnership with organisations and other partners to develop hybrid, long-term durable composites made from waste biomass, to meet the mechanical performance required by the same industries.

Tasks undertaken by material scientists and engineers include; analysis, manufacturing, design, modelling, rapid prototyping, 3-D printing, testing, repair, structural integrity evaluation, applications and knowledge transfer of advanced materials and manufacturing.

I hope this helps :smile:
Ethan - UOP Rep
Reply 11
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi there,

I am currently an engineering student at the University of Portsmouth.

To put it simply, Material science or also know as material engineering is the study of design, discovery, and development of both existing and new materials.

This involves research and discovery, including the creation of more cost-effective and environmentally-friendly lightweight composite materials, for use within the automotive, marine, aerospace, and construction industries. Partnership with organisations and other partners to develop hybrid, long-term durable composites made from waste biomass, to meet the mechanical performance required by the same industries.

Tasks undertaken by material scientists and engineers include; analysis, manufacturing, design, modelling, rapid prototyping, 3-D printing, testing, repair, structural integrity evaluation, applications and knowledge transfer of advanced materials and manufacturing.

I hope this helps :smile:
Ethan - UOP Rep

Thank you so much!! That makes a lot of sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending