The Student Room Group

I'd like to help anyone who has an upcoming Marks and Spencer job interview!

Hey everyone, this week I had an interview with Marks and Spencer for a permanent position with them. I got the call a couple of days ago and got the job!

I would love to help anyone who has an upcoming interview with them, if you have any questions about the role play, the interview questions that they ask you, or questions on what to expect in the interview, I would really love to answer them.

Just join the thread!! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KatherineKayye
Hey everyone, this week I had an interview with Marks and Spencer for a permanent position with them. I got the call a couple of days ago and got the job!

I would love to help anyone who has an upcoming interview with them, if you have any questions about the role play, the interview questions that they ask you, or questions on what to expect in the interview, I would really love to answer them.

Just join the thread!! :smile:

Did you have to do an online test first with some interview questions?
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Did you have to do an online test first with some interview questions?

The only way I got an interview was by doing an online assessment that determines if you would be right for a role as a customer assistant. Through the assessment they test you on how you would deliver customer service by giving you scenarios and you just have to choose what you would do in those given situations. The online stuff took me about 40 minutes. At that stage they are just interested in knowing how you value customer experience and customer service, interview questions relating to finding out more about you only come up at the interview, but even then they just want to make sure they are hiring people that would put the customer first, so a lot of the questions just relate back to Marks and Spencer.

I hope I answered your question. :K:
The only way I got an interview was by doing an online assessment that determines if you would be right for a role as a customer assistant. Through the assessment they test you on how you would deliver customer service by giving you scenarios and you just have to choose what you would do in those given situations. The online stuff took me about 40 minutes. At that stage they are just interested in knowing how you value customer experience and customer service, interview questions relating to finding out more about you only come up at the interview, but even then they just want to make sure they are hiring people that would put the customer first, so a lot of the questions just relate back to Marks and Spencer.

I hope I answered your question. :K:

Very helpful - thanks :smile:
Hey, congrats on the job offer :-) can you explain what the role play consists of and what questions do they ask? thanks!
Original post by awkwardgirl123
Hey, congrats on the job offer :-) can you explain what the role play consists of and what questions do they ask? thanks!

Thank you! :tongue:

The role play is designed to assess your abilities in how you would providecustomer service. The role play is basically where you play the role of acustomer assistant and your interviewer will play the role of customer, You'llbe provided with all the information you would need for the role play on laminatedcards.
The interviewer gave me about five cards with information on and thenleft the room for five minutes for me to read through all the information. Thecards had info on about the delivery services, product list (mine was to dowith men's button shirts, the kind you'd wear as part of a suit) etc. Theinterviewer then came back into the room as a customer needing help withsomething. My customer scenario was a lady looking toget a buttoned shirt as a birthday present for her Dad. The advice I'd give -as long as you smile and always be helpful towards the customer, you should befine. Some of the cards have offers and promotions on them, make sure you tellthe customer about these! Utilize all the information given to you, go theextra mile for the customer by letting them know all these things.

The interviewerwill then give you a feedback sheet where you write about how you did in therole play, they will leave the room and the line manager will come in to do theone-to-one interview that. I don't remember all the questions I was asked, butthese were some of them, all together there must have been about 10 questions;
What do youthink the role of customer assistant involves?
Why Marks andSpencer?
Why should wehire you?
What would youlike most about working here? What would you like least about working here?
How did you gethere today? - Shows them insight in how you may get there when working forthem.
Do you have anypast retail experience? - For me this isan important one because I never had a job before, I answered it by saying thatthe amount of past experience you have doesn't equate to how responsible andreliable you are as a person. I remember this being the last question theyasked me.

Hope this helps, anymore questions just let me know. :smile:

Thank you! :tongue:

The role play is designed to assess your abilities in how you would providecustomer service. The role play is basically where you play the role of acustomer assistant and your interviewer will play the role of customer, You'llbe provided with all the information you would need for the role play on laminatedcards.
The interviewer gave me about five cards with information on and thenleft the room for five minutes for me to read through all the information. Thecards had info on about the delivery services, product list (mine was to dowith men's button shirts, the kind you'd wear as part of a suit) etc. Theinterviewer then came back into the room as a customer needing help withsomething.My customer scenario was a lady looking toget a buttoned shirt as a birthday present for her Dad. The advice I'd give -as long as you smile and always be helpful towards the customer, you should befine. Some of the cards have offers and promotions on them, make sure you tellthe customer about these! Utilize all the information given to you, go theextra mile for the customer by letting them know all these things.

The interviewerwill then give you a feedback sheet where you write about how you did in therole play, they will leave the room and the line manager will come in to do theone-to-one interview that. I don't remember all the questions I was asked, butthese were some of them, all together there must have been about 10 questions;
What do youthink the role of customer assistant involves?
Why Marks andSpencer?
Why should wehire you?
What would youlike most about working here? What would you like least about working here?
How did you gethere today? - Shows them insight in how you may get there when working forthem.
Do you have anypast retail experience? - For me this isan important one because I never had a job before, I answered it by saying thatthe amount of past experience you have doesn't equate to how responsible andreliable you are as a person. I remember this being the last question theyasked me.

Hope this helps, anymore questions just let me know. :smile:

Thank you very much :-)
Hi there,

Can I ask did you apply for the food hall or the clothing section of M&S?

Well done on getting the job :biggrin:
Original post by loulee1987
Hi there,

Can I ask did you apply for the food hall or the clothing section of M&S?

Well done on getting the job :biggrin:

Oh thank you!!

I applied for the clothing section, so salesfloor. I shall be working in the Menswear section. I do know that the interview for working in the food hall apparently does vary quite a bit from the interview for working in clothing, so I can't really help with food hall questions I'm afraid. :s-smilie:

Thanks for your question. :smile:
Oh thank you!!

I applied for the clothing section, so salesfloor. I shall be working in the Menswear section. I do know that the interview for working in the food hall apparently does vary quite a bit from the interview for working in clothing, so I can't really help with food hall questions I'm afraid. :s-smilie:

Thanks for your question. :smile:

Thank you for your quick reply :smile:

I have applied for the salesfloor also, according to recruitment it is coming up on their system as womenswear but they cannot 100% guarantee this, thats why I asked what section you would be working on as I wondered if there was a significant difference between the food hall interviews as apposed to the clothing interviews :smile:

Thank you x
(edited 9 years ago)
Hiya,

WHATS THE PAY PER HOUR?
DO YOU GET PAID FOR YOUR INDUCTION?
Reply 11
So I'm guessing that there's no group activities then? Phew! Also how many people turned up for the interview when you went? Could you describe the format of the day a little? They said its only going to take an hour so wondering what the timetable is for it! Thank you!!!!
Reply 12
Hi everyone,

If I am applying for sales floor, which means it's clothing section? Because I've read a lot of role play in food or dinner party, I will assume it was food section? :confused:
This helped me a lot as I have my interview in the morning and was a little apprehensive as to what would be asked.
I presume most of it is common sense but I have researched the company and practised competency questions.
Wish me luck
Reply 14
hi there! got an interview coming up and I wanted to know what role plays you had to take part in?
Hello, thanks for ur suggestion to help people, I have an online assessment in 4 days with microsoft teams. The role I applied for is team support manager so could u just give me an idea on what type of questions they might ask The assessment will last 1 hour
Original post by dania.ferra
Hello, thanks for ur suggestion to help people, I have an online assessment in 4 days with microsoft teams. The role I applied for is team support manager so could u just give me an idea on what type of questions they might ask The assessment will last 1 hour

Hi, I know this is 4 months late but how did the assessment go? Any tips or advice. What kind of things happened?
Original post by mileyamber
Hi, I know this is 4 months late but how did the assessment go? Any tips or advice. What kind of things happened?

how did the interview go? any advice as ive got mine tomorrow over teams? thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending