The Student Room Group

Good cars for learners?

I’m currently learning to drive and was looking to buy a car of my own, something that’s best suited for a learner and isn’t too expensive to insure. Any recommendations?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, a Kia Picanto :woo:

It's cheap, it's literally tiny (when I practised bay parking I could see the entire bay through my corner back window!) and it's sensitive, which is great for you to be able to feel clutch control and smooth gear changes. 10/10 would recommend. :yep:
Original post by parmezanne

It's cheap, it's literally tiny (when I practised bay parking I could see the entire bay through my corner back window!) and it's sensitive, which is great for you to be able to feel clutch control and smooth gear changes. 10/10 would recommend. :yep:

And.......... it ain't ugly! :yep:
Original post by jaykick2000
I’m currently learning to drive and was looking to buy a car of my own, something that’s best suited for a learner and isn’t too expensive to insure. Any recommendations?

Toyota Corolla, dead reliable, but it does have a larger engine
There are really good starter cars: Toyota Yaris, Volkswagen Polo, Toyota Aygo, Fiat Pinto, Hyundai i10. I would suggest you to stick with Toyota for now if you want to avoid any unnecessary repairs and breakdowns.
Original post by HumbleBee_x
And.......... it ain't ugly! :yep:

so true :lol: and, unlike the classic roadman vauxhall astra, you don't want to cringe, scream, and run away. :smile:
Reply 6
so true :lol: and, unlike the classic roadman vauxhall astra, you don't want to cringe, scream, and run away. :smile:

The newer astra isn’t actually too bad imho - just a smaller insignia. Not great for insurance though for a learner I’d think.

I echo the recommendations for the picanto, or if you want something a little bigger the Rio as they’re actually really fun to drive. The Citigo/Up/Mii from VAG are another good option.

According to what I read...

Seat Ibiza
Vauxhall Corsa
Ford Fiesta
Reply 8

Not really lol. How much drivers do you know that can splash out over £9000 on a first car? Later on, yeah sure. But as a learner and a first car? Not a lot.
Reply 9
1. Peugeot 308, it's a comfortable car which is great for long drives.
2. Hyundai i30. The car looks small on the exterior, but there is a lot of space inside. Also, this car is very economical and safe.
3. Fiat 500. It's a small, but a fast car which is fun to drive.
Original post by gtty123
Not really lol. How much drivers do you know that can splash out over £9000 on a first car? Later on, yeah sure. But as a learner and a first car? Not a lot.

Who would buy a brand new car as their first one? :lol: Not me that's for sure. My one we owned since like 2011 and it was 6 grand back then, and that was brand new. I got it second hand from my family.
Who would buy a brand new car as their first one? :lol: Not me that's for sure. My one we owned since like 2011 and it was 6 grand back then, and that was brand new. I got it second hand from my family.

There's definitely individuals out there who would, for sure. Fair enough.

Don't assume that smaller cars are always cheaper to insure, do loads and loads of insurance quotes for different cars. Some might surprise you. Put your budget and any other preferences such as mileage, year, and number of seats etc. into autotrader and see what comes up.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't want to be crashed into in something like a Toyota Aygo, Vauxhall Adam, Citroen C1, VW Up etc. I also wouldn't like the thought of friends sat in the back with their head right next to the year window. Saw a crashed Vauxhall Adam once and everything behind the front seats had pretty much disappeared.

Bear in mind that the most popular first cars can be more expensive to insure due to the number of accidents younger drivers typically have.

Suzuki swift or Renault Clio are both a good choice, decent size, looks ok, not too expensive to buy or insure depending on year and mileage.
Reply 13

Renault Modus 1.5 dci 105hp

- find me another hatch as rapid, efficient, and cheap to insure as that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending