The Student Room Group

Second time on the Voi scooter..will I get fined?

I just found out recently that you need a driving license to ride those voi scooters but my relative said they accept provisional and it did get scanned properly so I guess I was able to ride it? First time I went with my cousin. Second time, was today actually. By myself.
I was kinda panicking bc I didn't want to confuse the drivers even tho I've been it on before, this time was different bc the roads were really busy - 1 driver even horned at me lmao. After my ride I became concerned bc surely this isn't right???? Anyone could get a provisional and use the voi???? Sounded SUS so I decided to look it up online and the info follows:

"You must have the category Q entitlement on your driving licence to use an e-scooter. A full or provisional UK licence for categories AM, A or B includes entitlement for category Q. If you have one of these licences, you can use an e-scooter."

"You cannot use an e-scooter if you have an overseas provisional licence, learner permit or equivalent."

I'm legit scared I will get fined, sued or caught by the police bc I don't have a driving license to read the scooters???? 😭😢 Should I be worried or forget about it?

I'm 22 btw
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone could get a provisional and use the voi???? Sounded SUS so I decided to look it up online and the info follows:

"You must have the category Q entitlement on your driving licence to use an e-scooter. A full or provisional UK licence for categories AM, A or B includes entitlement for category Q. If you have one of these licences, you can use an e-scooter."

"You cannot use an e-scooter if you have an overseas provisional licence, learner permit or equivalent."

I'm legit scared I will get fined, sued or caught by the police bc I don't have a driving license to read the scooters???? 😭😢 Should I be worried or forget about it?

Do you have a licence (full or provisional)? Does it include category Q? (Note that it might be displayed on your licence as a lower-case q.) If you have a licence with category Q then you're fine.

Obviously you still have to comply with rules of the road, speed limits, etc, and use it responsibly.
Reply 2
Hey, I can’t unlock a voi scooter, do u know why?

I have money in my account to unlock and use. When setting up my account it didn’t ask for a driving license/provision, it just ask u add ur credit card/ other payment to use it.
If you are not stopped at the time of riding one of these trial scheme e-scooters, you will be ok (retrospectively) however, it's a really bad idea to be riding without a licence. Apart from being illegal, you don't have any insurance covering you. This is, of course, no different from riding any other e-scooter at the moment. I can see things getting much much stricter, though - as some people are paying for insurance, I can't see there being much tolerance for those that don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending