The Student Room Group

Nursing placement rant

Hello,

I'm new here but as a final year nurse student and currently on my sign off placement I really need to have a moan to (hopefully) people who understand. Sorry to start on a negative!

I've started a new trust and absolutely hate it, I actually feel sick when I think about spending another 8 weeks there on placement. I find the nurses patronising, unfriendly and generally rude.

For example as a older student with a lot of managerial experience and a PhD (in a different area of science) I want to laugh/ cry / become frustrated in regards to the following behaviour and situations...examples including being dismissed as the student nurse and referring to me as this continuously (I.e the student is talking to you) being rostered to work every single weekend (even when mentor isn't in and ward won't change even one shift) being made to stay 30 late every shift to listen to handover (after a 13.5 shift, and a hours commute to do... I don't find this useful I know how to handover!), "told off" for wearing a cardigan in the staff room and reminded it needed to be removed before I started on the ward (yes I'm aware of this), wearing the wrong colour/style/length/ lanyard (Seriously) and being ignored when trying to join in a conversation. I just don't fit in and I've given up trying now.

I know some of this is part of the job (weekends/ staying late etc. Which I'll happily do when I don't have a dissertation, part time job and a family to look after as well as being unwell my self etc.) BUT we are students, not paid and still receive no slack. No wonder people no longer want to train as nurses. Rant over! Thanks X
Original post by Jellybeany298
Hello,

I'm new here but as a final year nurse student and currently on my sign off placement I really need to have a moan to (hopefully) people who understand. Sorry to start on a negative!

I've started a new trust and absolutely hate it, I actually feel sick when I think about spending another 8 weeks there on placement. I find the nurses patronising, unfriendly and generally rude.

For example as a older student with a lot of managerial experience and a PhD (in a different area of science) I want to laugh/ cry / become frustrated in regards to the following behaviour and situations...examples including being dismissed as the student nurse and referring to me as this continuously (I.e the student is talking to you) being rostered to work every single weekend (even when mentor isn't in and ward won't change even one shift) being made to stay 30 late every shift to listen to handover (after a 13.5 shift, and a hours commute to do... I don't find this useful I know how to handover!), "told off" for wearing a cardigan in the staff room and reminded it needed to be removed before I started on the ward (yes I'm aware of this), wearing the wrong colour/style/length/ lanyard (Seriously) and being ignored when trying to join in a conversation. I just don't fit in and I've given up trying now.

I know some of this is part of the job (weekends/ staying late etc. Which I'll happily do when I don't have a dissertation, part time job and a family to look after as well as being unwell my self etc.) BUT we are students, not paid and still receive no slack. No wonder people no longer want to train as nurses. Rant over! Thanks X

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time.

It definitely seems like there is some petty and childish behaviour on this ward. Unfortunately this is always something you may come across. When you are applying for jobs, it can be very hard to determine what the actual atmosphere of the ward is like. How you deal with it really just depends on your personality and how you assess the situation, but doing nothing will mean that everything stays the same. Could you talk to your mentor or the ward sister? Sometimes being firm and telling staff 'actually, I would rather you called me by my name' can help. Things like the cardigan comment are silly, but some staff do like to assert their dominance or try to make smart comments. It's worth considering that they don't really know you. They see hundreds of students come and go, many of whom are self-important and disinterested. Have you taken the time and made a serious effort to get to know the staff? Sometimes this can make a world of difference. Even asking their opinion or for some advice can let them know you respect them.

Unfortunately your final year is not a time when you're going to be cut any slack. You mentor has a lot of responsibility to ensure you are prepared to start work as a staff nurse very soon. Knowing how to do a handover doesn't mean you don't have to stay for it. As a qualified nurse you will be responsible solely for your patients and a quality handover is something you absolutely must give. Similarly with your shifts, you will be expected to work whatever you are put on the rota for, which, in some areas, will be every weekend. The only way you can resolve that is by discussing with the ward sister and asking them to review your rota.

I know it can be hard, but giving up can mean that things don't improve.
Reply 2
Ahh im so sorry youre having a rubbish placement! Theres nothing worse and you feel competely alone. Ive just finished one and it sounds pretty similar but probably not as bad! Very childish staff and also never actually called by my name. Im genuinely a very easy going person so when i find i dont fit in or im being purposely ignored i find it quite difficult to come to terms with. My mentor was lovely but thats it! Everyone else just made zero effort. A certain sister spoke to us students like dirt.....she was awful, and i dont use that term lightly! It got to the point where i started to simply not care. I went there, did what i needed to do, and went home. I stopped making an effort, i stopped speaking to people and i just became completely withdrawn which is not like me at all. 10 weeks went by pretty quickly even though at the time it felt like an eternity. What im trying to say is you sometimes just have to dust yourself off and crack on. ignore them and focus on you and you alone. DO NOT stay past your finishing time. Inform your practice facilitator or university of the siatuation and make placement aware that you have raised the issue of staying later and you will not be doing anymore. Speak to the ward manager about the weekends. Say you simply cannot do every weekend and it is not fair as you are not being paid and not working with your mentor. Everything else i would try your very best to rise above it grit your teeth and f**k them all putting it bluntly. Theyre some horrible people out there who go out of their way to make others miserable, think about you and your patients!! I wish you luck for the remainder of your placement. Take control! You got this! x
Reply 3
I so feel for you, as I am going through this now and I have lost sleep. My anxiety levels are through the roof. Why do we have to be put with nurses who don't care to teach you skills, as they ignore anything you say, pretending you are not there. How are they even nurses??? It has been that bad that another student rang our facilitator as she was so concerned for me in the way I was being treated. It was that obvious, but that didn't deter this nurse, as she continued to teach me 'Sweet F A'. The other student has been an EN for 17 years and I have never been a nurse but I am a Support Worker. So I would go to this student instead to get help as this nurse wouldn't explain nothing to me. Just horrendous it is and I can't wait to ride this placement out.
I know this doesn’t excuse it, but nursing is a very cliquey profession, with people who love asserting their dominance over new staff and students for no reason other than they’ve been there longer. I’m sure a lot of you have been on the wards where there’s a band 2 “matron” throwing their weight around.

Are the nurses staying half an hour over their shifts to hand over, or are they paid for this? Id be recording this extra time on my timesheets tbh. Wrt being on every weekend, this sounds like they’re using students to plug gaps in their staffing at weekends, of course you’re expected to work the spectrum of shifts, but if they’re putting you on at weekends when your mentors not in then it sounds a bit dodgy and talking to your practice placement manager or tutor might be worthwhile.
I was called nuisance and demanding for asking stuffs to sign off and for witness testimony by other nurses on placement. My mentor was off sick on last week 🤦*♀️ so had to get things done by co mentor.
Nursing is old fashioned. It's full of bullying nurses who were previously bullied by their matrons. Nurse degrees are also looked down on by those who trained 30-40 years ago because they're too academic, apparently.

There's a reason we say nurses eat their young. It's why I'm leaving. I never should have started nursing in the first place and I should have left during my first placement when I realised how toxic the nurse culture can be.

The good news is: you'll soon be finished. And then you never have to go back ever, ever again.

And when you leave, you get to choose where to work. Don't let job ads with 3+ years experience etc put you off applying. I punched above my weight and ended up in a role in a hospital that has never, ever had a NQN. And now I'm moving into a private hospital that again, wasn't initially looking for a nurse with limited experience.

Do your time, pass your placement, walk out that door and pity the pitiful humans who will be left working in that miserable environment until the day they retire.
Reply 7
Hi, I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I’m in a similar situation, I’m at the end of my second year and the placement I’m on is great most of the time and offers some good experiences, but I got told today that I’m sometimes “too overconfident” and I need to “tone it down” whenever I give patients advice etc. I just don’t understand, If what I am saying is true and it’s not going to cause any harm to them… like I don’t understand. We’re told to have confidence and not hide in corners when given opportunities but then when we want to throw ourselves into everything… it’s wrong 😒 I’m so confused….
Original post by Chsmily
Hi, I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I’m in a similar situation, I’m at the end of my second year and the placement I’m on is great most of the time and offers some good experiences, but I got told today that I’m sometimes “too overconfident” and I need to “tone it down” whenever I give patients advice etc. I just don’t understand, If what I am saying is true and it’s not going to cause any harm to them… like I don’t understand. We’re told to have confidence and not hide in corners when given opportunities but then when we want to throw ourselves into everything… it’s wrong 😒 I’m so confused….

Hey
Well done so far getting through first two years as a student nurse under the circumstances over last 18 months as not been great for students.

Don't be daft as there isn't nothing wrong in being over confidence as you doing what I would be expecting you to do as a student if I was your mentor/supervisor on placements okay.,
Exactly don't hide away in corners like you said, throwing yourself into situations you never done before is great ok.

With what you said on " being over confidence " - I get they think you being bit bigheaded and they don't like you perhaps showing up others by doing things like talking to patients and explaining things but don't change your approach on how you doing things okay,

I'm a dual registered adult nurse & midwife and unfortunately you do get staff like you facing telling others not to be to over the top on information etc but it not doing any harm then where's the problem.

PM message me if you want to but otherwise good luck with things x
Reply 9
Original post by Allyson2020
Hey
Well done so far getting through first two years as a student nurse under the circumstances over last 18 months as not been great for students.

Don't be daft as there isn't nothing wrong in being over confidence as you doing what I would be expecting you to do as a student if I was your mentor/supervisor on placements okay.,
Exactly don't hide away in corners like you said, throwing yourself into situations you never done before is great ok.

With what you said on " being over confidence " - I get they think you being bit bigheaded and they don't like you perhaps showing up others by doing things like talking to patients and explaining things but don't change your approach on how you doing things okay,

I'm a dual registered adult nurse & midwife and unfortunately you do get staff like you facing telling others not to be to over the top on information etc but it not doing any harm then where's the problem.

PM message me if you want to but otherwise good luck with things x

Thank you so much! Honestly it’s just so hard to deal with atm, I’ve got 5 weeks left there and it’s just making me feel sick to go back tomorrow morning 🙈 x
Original post by Chsmily
Thank you so much! Honestly it’s just so hard to deal with atm, I’ve got 5 weeks left there and it’s just making me feel sick to go back tomorrow morning 🙈 x

Hi
No worries ok

Yes you ain't alone ok as every one of us nurses & students has had a very tough time over last 18 months with covid19 situation.
Especially students like.

Don't feel bad or sick as you go into placement tomorrow morning please and get on with things and get through remaining time that you have.
PM me and let get you through remaining time ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending