The Student Room Group

heart palpitations

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else had been through similar on here. Basically, I’ve been feeling dizzy for days and I can feel my heart beating really fast, I also have really bad headaches. I went to the doctors today and they said my heartbeats per minute were 117 resting, which is apparently high. My blood pressure was fine though. They said I need to have an ecg as soon as possible, so my mum booked one for Friday. I’m honestly so worried, whenever I get up the room spins and I go pale, no idea what’s wrong with me. Does anyone know what could be causing it? And is an ecg bad? Do I need to take my bra off? I’m going with my dad so that will be awkward 😭thanks for reading x
Original post by mangosmoothie
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else had been through similar on here. Basically, I’ve been feeling dizzy for days and I can feel my heart beating really fast, I also have really bad headaches. I went to the doctors today and they said my heartbeats per minute were 117 resting, which is apparently high. My blood pressure was fine though. They said I need to have an ecg as soon as possible, so my mum booked one for Friday. I’m honestly so worried, whenever I get up the room spins and I go pale, no idea what’s wrong with me. Does anyone know what could be causing it? And is an ecg bad? Do I need to take my bra off? I’m going with my dad so that will be awkward 😭thanks for reading x

Hey,
I'm not a medical professional, and so can't comment on the whole "what could be causing it thing" but I have been in the same experiences as you, so I can comment on the ecg:
Depending on the ecg you're doing, as in what part of the body...no you won't need to take your bra off.

First type: What they'll probably do is anesthetise the bit where the upper arm and lower arm meet if that makes sense..where your elbow is, put palm faced up aha. it could either be with these patches or this fast acting spray (the patches are WAAY better than the spray in terms of their anethatising effect in my opinion) then they'll get an injection attached to a little syringe sort of thing and inject you and then stick it to your arm, it's called a cannula, if you want to look it up.. this will contain dye, that during the scan will travel around the body and sort of 'colour' your insides so the docs can take a picture of the area (most likely the heart in your case - mine was also for my heart)..the actual scan, you sit on a bed and this goes into a tube..imagine a sort of shuttle like thing or just google it. It spins around you.. i found it was okay at first, but then I felt kind of sick.. but after that, that's it. I don't know whether this is a ecg or something else, better off to ask someone like

Second type: they'll have a machine with loads of leads with stickers (google ECG equipment) in this case you may have to take your bra off to apply the stickers, again the positioning of the stickers depends. The machine will produce a graph of your heart rate.. the only thing that hurts is to take off the stickers.
Original post by Bookworm_88
Second type: they'll have a machine with loads of leads with stickers (google ECG equipment) in this case you may have to take your bra off to apply the stickers, again the positioning of the stickers depends. The machine will produce a graph of your heart rate.. the only thing that hurts is to take off the stickers.

Make sure they get all the stickers off! Last time I had a ECG they didn't take off one of the stickers and I got a massive allergic rash.

First type: What they'll probably do is anesthetise the bit where the upper arm and lower arm meet if that makes sense..where your elbow is, put palm faced up aha. it could either be with these patches or this fast acting spray (the patches are WAAY better than the spray in terms of their anethatising effect in my opinion) then they'll get an injection attached to a little syringe sort of thing and inject you and then stick it to your arm, it's called a cannula, if you want to look it up.. this will contain dye, that during the scan will travel around the body and sort of 'colour' your insides so the docs can take a picture of the area (most likely the heart in your case - mine was also for my heart)..the actual scan, you sit on a bed and this goes into a tube..imagine a sort of shuttle like thing or just google it. It spins around you.. i found it was okay at first, but then I felt kind of sick.. but after that, that's it. I don't know whether this is a ecg or something else, better off to ask someone like @ecolier

This is not ECG - this is some sort of scan like a CT or MRI with contrast. The second procedure you describe is what an ECG is.

I have never been asked to take my bra off for an ECG.
Hey,
I'm not a medical professional, and so can't comment on the whole "what could be causing it thing" but I have been in the same experiences as you, so I can comment on the ecg:
Depending on the ecg you're doing, as in what part of the body...no you won't need to take your bra off.

First type: What they'll probably do is anesthetise the bit where the upper arm and lower arm meet if that makes sense..where your elbow is, put palm faced up aha. it could either be with these patches or this fast acting spray (the patches are WAAY better than the spray in terms of their anethatising effect in my opinion) then they'll get an injection attached to a little syringe sort of thing and inject you and then stick it to your arm, it's called a cannula, if you want to look it up.. this will contain dye, that during the scan will travel around the body and sort of 'colour' your insides so the docs can take a picture of the area (most likely the heart in your case - mine was also for my heart)..the actual scan, you sit on a bed and this goes into a tube..imagine a sort of shuttle like thing or just google it. It spins around you.. i found it was okay at first, but then I felt kind of sick.. but after that, that's it. I don't know whether this is a ecg or something else, better off to ask someone like @ecolier

Thankyou, I’m pretty sure it’s the second one, they’re doing it at my gp surgery if that makes a difference? That’s really helpful x
Original post by Sabertooth
Make sure they get all the stickers off! Last time I had a ECG they didn't take off one of the stickers and I got a massive allergic rash.

That sounds awful :frown: I definitely will!

Quick Reply

Latest