The Student Room Group

Psychology work experience.

Hi ! where could I get forensic psychological work experience?
Original post by Sammmy45

How old are you?

It's quite difficult to get work experience in forensic areas due to the nature of the work. If you're wanting paid work then something like a HCA or support worker in a secure hospital would be ideal. There's also organisations and charities working with both victims and offenders in the community - Victim Support trains volunteers to support witnesses and victims of crime with their case going to court and throughout the trial process. There is experience out there but it is largely area and age dependant, so really down to luck.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi @Sammmy45

I currently study Psychology at the University of Sheffield and I am also keen on gaining experience in relevant fields.

As @bones-mccoy mentioned, it can be hard to get experience in psychological settings due to issues of confidentiality. However throughout my time at Sixth form and University I have been involved in lots of volunteering opportunities that can help to develop your skills and show potential employers and courses your ability in a psychological setting.

Depending on where you are based, I have found that charities such as Mind and IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Service) offer great opportunities to get some real client experience and gain a feel for what working in psychology is like. In my first year of uni, I spent a lot of time google searching for local opportunities and availability. There are lots out there and keeping an eye out is key for when new roles arise. I would suggest registering for alerts for roles near you that you are interested in so that you can apply before the majority of other applicants.

Paid roles in psychology are much more difficult to gain without qualifications, so if it is experience you are after, I would definitely recommend having a good search for volunteering opportunities near you. Any opportunity that shows a willingness to support vulnerable others, develops your interpersonal and communication skills and shows a general interest in psychological work will stand you in good stead.

If you have any further questions about experience or anything related to Psychology in general please feel free to ask!

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield
Reply 3
Original post by bones-mccoy
How old are you?

It's quite difficult to get work experience in forensic areas due to the nature of the work. If you're wanting paid work then something like a HCA or support worker in a secure hospital would be ideal. There's also organisations and charities working with both victims and offenders in the community - Victim Support trains volunteers to support witnesses and victims of crime with their case going to court and throughout the trial process. There is experience out there but it is largely area and age dependant, so really down to luck.

Thank you, I'm 19 years old
Reply 4
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi @Sammmy45

I currently study Psychology at the University of Sheffield and I am also keen on gaining experience in relevant fields.

As @bones-mccoy mentioned, it can be hard to get experience in psychological settings due to issues of confidentiality. However throughout my time at Sixth form and University I have been involved in lots of volunteering opportunities that can help to develop your skills and show potential employers and courses your ability in a psychological setting.

Depending on where you are based, I have found that charities such as Mind and IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Service) offer great opportunities to get some real client experience and gain a feel for what working in psychology is like. In my first year of uni, I spent a lot of time google searching for local opportunities and availability. There are lots out there and keeping an eye out is key for when new roles arise. I would suggest registering for alerts for roles near you that you are interested in so that you can apply before the majority of other applicants.

Paid roles in psychology are much more difficult to gain without qualifications, so if it is experience you are after, I would definitely recommend having a good search for volunteering opportunities near you. Any opportunity that shows a willingness to support vulnerable others, develops your interpersonal and communication skills and shows a general interest in psychological work will stand you in good stead.

If you have any further questions about experience or anything related to Psychology in general please feel free to ask!

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield

Thank you so much for your help! I'm currently volunteering in a care home for the disabled but I really want to find direct and relevant psychological work experience xx
Hi @Sammmy45

I am glad I could help! I think volunteering at a care home for disabled individuals is a really great role. It gives you direct experience with vulnerable people in the community and will help develop skills relevant to any psychological role e.g. empathy, communication skills.

As mentioned, it is hard to gain direct psychological work experience, but I do not always think that this is mandatory. I have found it really useful whilst I have been volunteering to write down everything that I have done as I have done it e.g. attending team meetings (whilst it might not seem directly relevant, explaining how these things relate to psychological roles is really helpful). So whilst I do not have any direct experience, I can explain to employers the skills and abilities I have gained from other relevant volunteering that are equally relevant in a psychology role.

In my experience, I have found that any sort of volunteering or activity that shows a willingness to give your own time and get the most out of all opportunities is viewed positively within the psychological field.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield
Reply 6
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi @Sammmy45

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield

Hello.
What could I write in my personal statement regarding Psychology?
Any tips??? Thank you.
Original post by ThyNDS
Hello.
What could I write in my personal statement regarding Psychology?
Any tips??? Thank you.

Check out this :smile: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6213912
Hi @ThyNDS,

Great to hear you are interested in studying Psychology at University!

Writing your personal statement can be really tricky and I found it super hard to get started, but once I had a plan in place it did seem to flow much better! In my experience, the most important thing to do in your personal statement is get across your interest in the subject and your reason why you want to study it. It is always helpful to reference any relevant experiences/personal experiences that have spurred your interest and any reading/activities that highlight your enjoyment in the subject.

My Sixth form gave me a generic structure which really helped me in getting going. My statement followed the gist of;

Catchy starting sentence/paragraph that introduces why you want to study Psychology - you could mention any specific areas of interest e.g. clinical, cognitive, developmental - it might be good to reference specific parts of the course that interest you from the unis you are applying (if they are all quite similar, obviously if you are applying to different courses you wont be able to make it as tailored)

A paragraph highlighting any reading you have done. Any research you are interested in. Something you would like to research. Creativity and desire to discover new things in the psychological field is always viewed positively.

A paragraph on relevant work experience/volunteering/jobs. I really tried to look at the skills I had developed and link them to the psychological field. Any experience that you have had will have developed a range of skills that will look great! You could also mention any challenges that you have faced and overcome/worked through that demonstrate key skills.

A final paragraph on you as an individual and any key skills and abilities you have and why they suit a Psychology degree. I tried to end again on a punchy statement for why Psychology is important to me and why I wanted to study it.

If you are struggling for things to write have a search around online for generic structures and ideas. I found it useful to search for research articles on topics that I found interesting e.g. mental health, autism etc. I also think that it is a really great idea to look at research that is currently relevant e.g. COVID and the impacts on mental health/wellbeing if this is something that interests you.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield
Reply 9

It is very difficult to gain experience in psychology, even as a graduate. It is an awful degree with limitations and flaws. It is an overrated popular subject with so many irrelevant topics, endless theories, and models that are again, flawed. Even 'experts' within this area are clueless half the time, and mostly it is human manipulations and conditioning behavior.

i have the same issue, I'm finding it difficult to find somewhere so i can mention it on my personal statement as it looks poor at the moment :smile:
Original post by itsalisha0943
i have the same issue, I'm finding it difficult to find somewhere so i can mention it on my personal statement as it looks poor at the moment :smile:

Don't worry about getting experience! Focus on getting good grades in your exams and reading around the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest