The Student Room Group

Online or In-person University?

Will universities still be completely online by 2022 or 2023? I am an international student, any idea when I MUST return to the UK?
Original post by Anonymous
Will universities still be completely online by 2022 or 2023? I am an international student, any idea when I MUST return to the UK?

Depends on ur uni and the course
Reply 2
Depends on ur uni and the course

Bristol Law
Bristol Law

Email them to ask!
Eg course director (or whatever they’re called there)
Reply 4
Email them to ask!
Eg course director (or whatever they’re called there)

They said they dont have any information which is frustrating
They said they dont have any information which is frustrating

They’re the only people who would know/have any info as they’re the ones who design the course and dictate how it will be delivered…

Best thing to do would probably be to keep pestering them or make a big deal out of it so they have to give u a proper answer? :redface:

Different unis are taking different approaches. For example, Manchester uni has stated that all lectures will be online but the tutorials and seminars will be face to face. Thus, no more sitting in a lecture theatre with 300 other students - that will be via zoom. However, the smaller tutorials (6-10 students) and seminars (10-20 students) will be face to face.

Click here to find out more about student visas - official UK government website so its up to date.
Sadly I don't think Universities can promise anything at the moment and have to be prepared for all eventualities. At the moment in the UK many restrictions are being lifted on July 19th. However it is an experiement and we don't know how this will go, especially as Autumn approaches. Nothing is guaranteed. There is already talk of more lockdowns in Autumn - Winter. I genuinely believe universities do want to do more face to face teaching but I don't think they can make guaranteed promises. Many are preparing for a return to normal but at the same time realise they may have to revert to online. Personally I think things will still be unsettled this winter but I am staying optimistic that things will be better in 2022.

Hi!

Currently, the government guidance for Universities in the UK is that they will be allowed to go back to face to face learning in September. Some Universities are planning a full return to face to face learning, whereas others are planning a partial return, with the majority of learning being face to face. Although no one can know for certain what will happen in the future, it is looking unlikely that Universities will continue with completely online learning by September 2021. By 2022/2023, learning should be mostly, if not completely, face to face as restrictions are being lifted.
I would suggest getting in touch with the University that you are attending to see what their plans are for learning and the provisions they have in place for international students.

Hope that helped! If you have any other questions then feel free to get in touch.

Michaela - UoP Rep
You should call them everyday and ask for a formal update. The only guidance in place is to pay for your accommodation beforehand, after that surprise surprise. It does look sly as far as clarity is concerned.
You should call them everyday and ask for a formal update.

This is ridiculous advice. No one knows what will happen in a month's time, let alone the 6-18 months timescale that OP is asking about.

Decisions like these get made at a senior level in any university. It's likely that the people making these decisions will have periodic meetings (perhaps every 4-6 weeks) to review the situation, plus ad hoc meetings to discuss any changes in policy/advice from the government.

No university in July 2021 is going to speculate on what will happen in 2022 or 2023, and giving firm commitments has to be absolutely out of the question. To do so would be reckless.

It's understandable that people want things get back to normal. But we're in a global pandemic, the likes of which no one has experienced in living memory.
Original post by martin7
This is ridiculous advice. No one knows what will happen in a month's time, let alone the 6-18 months timescale that OP is asking about.

Decisions like these get made at a senior level in any university. It's likely that the people making these decisions will have periodic meetings (perhaps every 4-6 weeks) to review the situation, plus ad hoc meetings to discuss any changes in policy/advice from the government.

No university in July 2021 is going to speculate on what will happen in 2022 or 2023, and giving firm commitments has to be absolutely out of the question. To do so would be reckless.

It's understandable that people want things get back to normal. But we're in a global pandemic, the likes of which no one has experienced in living memory.

What are you suggesting? With a 60 days remaining for the academic year to start, they haven't got a clue?Yeah, right! That is pathetic, I strongly disagree with what you're saying, we are not talking about bags of chocolates or sweets. They obviously have their position despite the "government advise", whether 3-6 months on-line to be begin with.
What are you suggesting? With a 60 days remaining for the academic year to start, they haven't got a clue?Yeah, right! That is pathetic, I strongly disagree with what you're saying, we are not talking about bags of chocolates or sweets. They obviously have their position despite the "government advise", whether 3-6 months on-line to be begin with.

OP was explicitly asking about 2022 and 2023. 2022 is five-and-half months away. 2023 is over 17 months away.

No one know what the situation will be in a month's time. The government is relaxing restrictions in 5 days time. In a month there may be a spike in infections; in two months the NHS might find itself overwhelmed with Covid cases (or it might not).

Universities will know what they hope to do, and what they want to do. They can't promise any of this because they simply don't know what will happen. They'll have a plan A, and a plan B, and probably a plan C too. But they can't make promises or commitments.

Eighteen months ago I was planning foreign travel. Seventeen months ago, I was abroad. Could I have imagined back then what would happen in the 17 months up to July 2021? Do you think I can imagine with any degree of certainty what things will be like in the 17 months from now? If I was university management, do you think I could guarantee what studying would be like in 2023?

Hi, as Michaela said, universities are looking to normalise education for students, so it is possible that soon we will be back to face to face teaching.
As an international student myself, I do find the UKCISA very helpful for providing information on a range of topics as it is catered to us.
Hope this link helps, it is a link to government guidelines for higher education providers during COVID, and there is a section on International Students. Maybe bookmark this page for any updates?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/higher-education-reopening-buildings-and-campuses/higher-education-coronavirus-covid-19-operational-guidance#students-returning-to-campus

Hope this helps.

Samantha, UoP Rep

I'm Bristol Psychology and still having that concerns right now. I saw a list of courses with an online study option on the uni website. Will you be on campus in September?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending