The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Psychology Clearing 2021 at Exeter

Hey there,

Recently had a bit of a change of heart on universities; because of COVID and the lockdowns that came with it, I never actually got to view any universities before I applied and such I applied to the top ranking universities for psychology. I’m very thankful in that I have received a conditional offer from KCL that I have firmed. Thing is, I went up to see KCL and where I will be studying and have seemed to come to the realisation that a London lifestyle may not be for me. Obviously I’ll go back up to check I wasn’t just overreacting. However, on realising this I decided to examine more options and decided to travel to Exeter. To be frank, I clicked with the place and am now really interested in studying psychology there. Unfortunately I do not have a place at Exeter on any of their psychology courses so I am currently looking at potentially going through clearing/adjustment to it. I was just posting this in hopes that I could get some advice and maybe hear some stories about clearing to Exeter (if for psychology, even better). I am aware psychology is a very popular course and this is no different at Exeter but I am trying to remain optimistic. Any replies about my chances or advice would be very much appreciated. For reference, my predicted grades are A*AA. Thank you!
Hi @jshult, I'm in exactly the same position as you - I was offered a place at KCL which I firmed, went & had a look and realised it's not for me. I'm hoping I can get into Exeter via clearing/adjustment too for a Philosophy & Politics course (I don't have a place with them either). If you haven't had a look at the Exeter clearing course list yet - https://vacancies.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/home/ - I advise you do so, and pick a backup course. I have spoken to previous students from Exeter and apparently once you get in there you can internally transfer as students drop out etc. Good luck!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by jshult
Hey there,

Recently had a bit of a change of heart on universities; because of COVID and the lockdowns that came with it, I never actually got to view any universities before I applied and such I applied to the top ranking universities for psychology. I’m very thankful in that I have received a conditional offer from KCL that I have firmed. Thing is, I went up to see KCL and where I will be studying and have seemed to come to the realisation that a London lifestyle may not be for me. Obviously I’ll go back up to check I wasn’t just overreacting. However, on realising this I decided to examine more options and decided to travel to Exeter. To be frank, I clicked with the place and am now really interested in studying psychology there. Unfortunately I do not have a place at Exeter on any of their psychology courses so I am currently looking at potentially going through clearing/adjustment to it. I was just posting this in hopes that I could get some advice and maybe hear some stories about clearing to Exeter (if for psychology, even better). I am aware psychology is a very popular course and this is no different at Exeter but I am trying to remain optimistic. Any replies about my chances or advice would be very much appreciated. For reference, my predicted grades are A*AA. Thank you!

Hello @jshult,

It is great to hear that you are now considering the University of Exeter. It has been really tough for prospective students to decide where they would like to study without visiting different universities so I do really empathise with your situation.

All of our clearing/adjustment vacancies can be seen on our website: https://vacancies.exeter.ac.uk/clearing - this is the most up to date list of programmes that have places in Clearing/Adjustment and includes the form to apply to them. This year we anticipate that we will only have places on some of our programmes, but please do keep any eye on this form for the current vacancies. You have a strong set of predicted grades there which I am sure would give you a good range of options for courses you could apply to (but bear in mind that you will need achieved grades to secure a place through clearing).

I can see the suggestion made by @lilypickles13 regarding applying for a back-up and then seeking a transfer when you get to Exeter. If you do think of a back-up course it is important to ensure that you are interested in it and would like to ultimately study that programme. Although students are able to put in transfer requests, and we look to accommodate these, it is not guaranteed as it still relies upon there being places on the programme. In the event that any courses are oversubscribed even with students dropping out a transfer may not be possible. So I would just stress that this route is not a guarantee of getting a place on your first choice of programme and forewarn you of this potential disappointment down the line.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask, otherwise good luck with your decision making and I hope wherever and whatever you end up studying you are happy and enjoy it. This is a stressful time for prospective students but hopefully in a few weeks you will have a clear plan and be looking forward to starting university in September.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Reply 3
Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two
Hello @jshult,

It is great to hear that you are now considering the University of Exeter. It has been really tough for prospective students to decide where they would like to study without visiting different universities so I do really empathise with your situation.

All of our clearing/adjustment vacancies can be seen on our website: https://vacancies.exeter.ac.uk/clearing - this is the most up to date list of programmes that have places in Clearing/Adjustment and includes the form to apply to them. This year we anticipate that we will only have places on some of our programmes, but please do keep any eye on this form for the current vacancies. You have a strong set of predicted grades there which I am sure would give you a good range of options for courses you could apply to (but bear in mind that you will need achieved grades to secure a place through clearing).

I can see the suggestion made by @lilypickles13 regarding applying for a back-up and then seeking a transfer when you get to Exeter. If you do think of a back-up course it is important to ensure that you are interested in it and would like to ultimately study that programme. Although students are able to put in transfer requests, and we look to accommodate these, it is not guaranteed as it still relies upon there being places on the programme. In the event that any courses are oversubscribed even with students dropping out a transfer may not be possible. So I would just stress that this route is not a guarantee of getting a place on your first choice of programme and forewarn you of this potential disappointment down the line.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask, otherwise good luck with your decision making and I hope wherever and whatever you end up studying you are happy and enjoy it. This is a stressful time for prospective students but hopefully in a few weeks you will have a clear plan and be looking forward to starting university in September.

Melody

Hey there @University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two ,

I know it’s a tough question to answer, but if we’re looking at their history, how often have any of the psychology courses gone into clearing? Have any of them been in clearing over the past few years? Last year would be a good indicator since those students went through a similar process to myself.

Thank you.
Original post by jshult
Hey there @University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two ,

I know it’s a tough question to answer, but if we’re looking at their history, how often have any of the psychology courses gone into clearing? Have any of them been in clearing over the past few years? Last year would be a good indicator since those students went through a similar process to myself.

Thank you.

Hello @jshult,

Unfortunately, I do not have the answer to that question at this time and our Admissions team are working flat out ahead of tomorrow, so I am unable to get you the data you wanted.

Generally, I would say Psychology has become increasingly popular in recent years, but there can be fluctuations in the grades students achieve each year so past patterns do not necessarily help understand what will happen in the future. At this stage the best advice I can really give is to wait until tomorrow morning -Make sure you have a clear plan of action for tomorrow and get some time to relax and unwind this evening.

Sorry I cannot provide more help at this time. Wishing you the best of luck tomorrow.

Melody

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending