The Student Room Group

Would these A Levels work for Architecture Uni?

I am planning to take:
Bio, Maths, Geo

Some people are saying you take a different subject before and then go on to take a masters in Architecture. I don’t know how it works, wanting a confirmation on this as well.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I just finished my iGSCEs and I am planning to study architecture in uni.
Are there any ways I should start learning or building a portfolio (I heard that that’s needed but i am not sure).
Can’t speak on architecture specifically, but can do in general design portfolios. Yes, you will need one for applying at universities. Stuff I included in mine were projects we did in design classes at a level (or whatever qualification you do) personal projects are ideal, such as online prompts or competitions you enter. One key bit of advice my teacher gave was that your sketches don’t need to be works of art, admissions are looking at how well you can communicate your ideas, problem solving skills and your ideas.
Reply 3
Original post by DOOODARS
Can’t speak on architecture specifically, but can do in general design portfolios. Yes, you will need one for applying at universities. Stuff I included in mine were projects we did in design classes at a level (or whatever qualification you do) personal projects are ideal, such as online prompts or competitions you enter. One key bit of advice my teacher gave was that your sketches don’t need to be works of art, admissions are looking at how well you can communicate your ideas, problem solving skills and your ideas.

Thanks! But for A-Level, I was thinking of not taking an art subject, so should I be working on these projects as an individual work?
Original post by wegetit
Thanks! But for A-Level, I was thinking of not taking an art subject, so should I be working on these projects as an individual work?

Why don’t you want to take an art or design A level?
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Why don’t you want to take an art or design A level?

The teachers are specifically very biased and overworking the students in my school. I liked Art during my GSCEs but I don’t know if I should take it as one of my 4 alevels.
Original post by wegetit
The teachers are specifically very biased and overworking the students in my school. I liked Art during my GSCEs but I don’t know if I should take it as one of my 4 alevels.

If you want to be an architect then you’ll be working on creative designs full time. If working on an art A level is putting you off then architecture probably isn’t the best choice of degree or career
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
If you want to be an architect then you’ll be working on creative designs full time. If working on an art A level is putting you off then architecture probably isn’t the best choice of degree or career

I want to take Art A-level. My parents do not want me to, and I’m instead taking Math (as my core architecture related subject) and bio and geo since I like the subjects. The teachers are the main problem, and I don’t want to be unsure about my final grade for A level. I will however work on an EPQ related to Architecture.
Original post by wegetit
I want to take Art A-level. My parents do not want me to, and I’m instead taking Math (as my core architecture related subject) and bio and geo since I like the subjects. The teachers are the main problem, and I don’t want to be unsure about my final grade for A level. I will however work on an EPQ related to Architecture.

Maths A level isn’t architecture related. There’s less than 5 universities that even have a preference for it.

Architecture is a design based degree and career. It will look odd if you apply without a creative subject when you had that as an option. You’re choosing options that will make it much more difficult to find a place on an architecture degree - and that will make admissions staff doubt your understanding and commitment to what an architecture degree actually involves.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Maths A level isn’t architecture related. There’s less than 5 universities that even have a preference for it.

Architecture is a design based degree and career. It will look odd if you apply without a creative subject when you had that as an option. You’re choosing options that will make it much more difficult to find a place on an architecture degree - and that will make admissions staff doubt your understanding and commitment to what an architecture degree actually involves.

Thank you for the information. Should I consider changing maths or the other 2 that I have interest but not really an idea as to what job? My target grade for Maths and Bio was 7/8, and Geo 9 - in the GSCEs.
Original post by wegetit
Thank you for the information. Should I consider changing maths or the other 2 that I have interest but not really an idea as to what job? My target grade for Maths and Bio was 7/8, and Geo 9 - in the GSCEs.

Take a creative subject and 2 subjects that you think you will enjoy/get the best grades in while giving yourself as much time as possible to build your portfolio. IF you’re sure you want to study architecture. If you want to keep other degree options open then you might need to take a different subject mix.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
From these 4 choices: (with the target grades from GSCE)
Bio 7/8
Math 7/8
Geo 9
Art 8

Which should I choose for a uni course in Architecture?
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
Take a creative subject and 2 subjects that you think you will enjoy/get the best grades in while giving yourself as much time as possible to build your portfolio. IF you’re sure you want to study architecture. If you want to keep other degree options open then you might need to take a different subject mix.

Thanks, I’ll talk with my parents about it.
Is it possible to take a course not related to Architecture, then change courses in the same uni to Architecture?
(With the a levels as I had first chosen - bio math geo)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by wegetit
Is it possible to take a course not related to Architecture, then change courses in the same uni to Architecture?

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/architect

This might help - be aware there are many unemployed architects.
Original post by wegetit

You can’t transfer onto a course if you don’t meet the entry requirements. To transfer internally onto an architecture degree you would need a creative A level or an excellent portfolio or both.
Original post by wegetit
Bio 7/8
Math 7/8
Geo 9
Art 8

Based on your predicted grades, I'd say Maths (since most universities require it), Art (shows the creative side), and maybe Physics or Geography (if you intend on 3). If you're ok with 4, then do both but the workload will be greater. It's better to get A*A*A than A*AAB. I recommend an EPQ since it'll enable you to explore your interests outside of A-Levels. Most importantly, do subjects you like and that you're good at. Though physics may be more useful than biology in Architecture, I'm not the best person to be giving advice (Y11 here).
Original post by Ice.Log
Based on your predicted grades, I'd say Maths (since most universities require it), Art (shows the creative side), and maybe Physics or Geography (if you intend on 3). If you're ok with 4, then do both but the workload will be greater. It's better to get A*A*A than A*AAB. I recommend an EPQ since it'll enable you to explore your interests outside of A-Levels. Most importantly, do subjects you like and that you're good at. Though physics may be more useful than biology in Architecture, I'm not the best person to be giving advice (Y11 here).

This seems to be good advice, as someone whose just finished their a levels I’d recommend doing 3 so you have time to relax and enjoy supercurriculars and extracurriculars for your personal statement (I’m pretty sure architecture is very competitive).
Reply 17
Original post by Ice.Log

Thanks, I’ve heard that physics is much harder than GSCE physics, and since I’m not that interested in it, I’m thinking of taking Bio instead as my science subject.
Reply 18
I’m planning to do a different uni course (with Bio Geo and Math as my subjects in A level) and then move on to Architecture.
Can anyone explain to me if this conversion works?
Original post by wegetit
Bio 7/8
Math 7/8
Geo 9
Art 8

Art and Geography plus whichever from maths and biology you think you will enjoy most.

Physics and maths aren’t required for architecture and are only preferred by a tiny number of universities.
Good A level grades and a good portfolio of art and design work will give you far more options than taking A level subjects that you don’t enjoy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending