The Student Room Group

Super curricular = coursework?

I'm currently attempting to write a personal statement, with which I intend to apply to Oxford and other competitive universities. I was just wondering if coursework counts as a super-curricular activity? For some context, at my sixth form we could choose from a list of questions what to do for our history coursework (4000 word essay). I chose a question on the crusades and have since researched it excessively, perhaps even more than the coursework requires - I've also ordered books to research it further. Could I put these books in my personal statement as super-curricular?
Generally not, as it's part of your course. For it to be supercurricular, it must be, roughly:
1) Related to your course
2) Not a credited / required part of your syllabus
3) Be academically valuable

So it wouldn't really fit number two
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by melancollege
Generally not, as it's part of your course. For it to be supercurricular, it must be, roughly:
1) Related to your course
2) Not a credited / required part of your syllabus
3) Be academically valuable

So it wouldn't really fit number two

*as a note, EPQs do count though, since there is much more freedom of choice
Something to note is that "supercurricular" activities aren't required they're just a good way to demonstrate your interest in the subject beyond the A-level syllabus. Your coursework may be a good starting point for this, allowing you to mention something you wrote about in coursework then discuss what further reading you did beyond the scope of that coursework based on your explorations. So that sounds find, as it links to your wider reading beyond the scope of the syllabus which is a "supercurricular" in itself.
Reply 4
Original post by TheHistoryNerd_
I'm currently attempting to write a personal statement, with which I intend to apply to Oxford and other competitive universities. I was just wondering if coursework counts as a super-curricular activity? For some context, at my sixth form we could choose from a list of questions what to do for our history coursework (4000 word essay). I chose a question on the crusades and have since researched it excessively, perhaps even more than the coursework requires - I've also ordered books to research it further. Could I put these books in my personal statement as super-curricular?

Hey. I am currently writing coursework on the crusades as well. My question is: ”With reference to 1095-1192, to what extent did religious devotion drive the Crusades”. It sounds like you did an amazing job. I was wondering if you can send me your coursework so I can get an idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending