The Student Room Group

Why do people like their skin tanned?

(If you're wondering why this is in relationships, I have a slight crush on someone, but the fact they put fake tan on puts me off)

Genuine question, and I'm really sorry if this offends anyone. It's just a personal opinion.

I'm not a fan of tanned skin at all, and as someone with very pale skin from Irish grandparents I do everything in my power to not tan a single bit. Why do some people purposefully tan (either properly or by using fake tan) to look like a walking orange? S

Some people say it looks healthy, but to me it actually looks the opposite. It looks like you're trying to be someone you're not, and for some reason I instantly presume people with a fake tan are rude and untrustworthy. I wish I didn't as I absolutely hate stereotyping people, and honestly I'm asking this question to try and help me get rid of that stereotype.
I don't like it, but you've explained it anyway. Some people think it looks healthy, it's the trend right now, etc.

I think it can actually be fairly well done as long as it isn't that awful orange shade or drastically different to your natural skin tone, but yeah I prefer as close to natural as possible.

Thing is it's your crush's choice. She does it because she likes the way she looks with it and that's kind of that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Lol i dont see how a tan makes someone rude of untrustworthy but yah, i don't like to look like an orange
Reply 3
It looks awful on her though because she does have that horrible orange shade of fake tan that doesn't suit her at all. I'm way too scared to confront her about it. She also puts excessive makeup on. Maybe she's insecure about how she looks?

Original post by LeafMeAlonee
Lol i dont see how a tan makes someone rude of untrustworthy but yah, i don't like to look like an orange

I always make weird assumptions about people based on how they look, but I'm trying to train myself not to as it's probably a pretty toxic trait.
In society it's considered attractive to be darker skinned. So pale/light people (some, not all) get tanned to fit into society's standards. Or because they simply like the darker look. It's all preference
I don't like tanned skin either, slight tan is fine but when it excessive it's quite ugly
Reply 6
Original post by TheCFiles
In society it's considered attractive to be darker skinned. So pale/light people (some, not all) get tanned to fit into society's standards. Or because they simply like the darker look. It's all preference

I thought it was the opposite? Maybe it's just where I grew up. That explains quite a lot, but it's still sad how some people are tanning just to fit in. Society's standards make me miserable.
Personaly, I do not hate it But I do not care for it
Original post by Anonymous
It looks awful on her though because she does have that horrible orange shade of fake tan that doesn't suit her at all. I'm way too scared to confront her about it. She also puts excessive makeup on. Maybe she's insecure about how she looks?

I don't think it's anything you have the right to "confront" someone about to be honest. She doesn't owe you a certain look.

Maybe she is, maybe she just likes it.
Original post by Anonymous
I thought it was the opposite? Maybe it's just where I grew up. That explains quite a lot, but it's still sad how some people are tanning just to fit in. Society's standards make me miserable.

It is some places, but a lot of the time these days it's not. But it also depends on the person. Pale people usually want to be darker, and dark skinned people sometimes want to be lighter. Society wants a tan person, but not too dark, a white person but not to white. If that makes any sense. Yeah, it really is.
You should probably find someone else if it’s that much of an issue.
You answered your question in your own post: people feel it looks healthy.

A number of people just feel they look better with a tan than without.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending